Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a reserve Engineer?

• 04-02-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

I'm 17, in Ennis, hoping to do Mechanical Engineering in UCD or UL. Would joining the reserve Engineers be a good idea? Just want opinions really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The Engineer Pln in Sarsfield is pretty well run, I'd reccomend it to anyone who has an interest in the Army Reserve. It could be quite interesting for you as they do a lot of bridging work, but that rotates with other COE skills such as mine and IED detection and counter-mobility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

concussion wrote: »
    The Engineer Pln in Sarsfield is pretty well run, I'd reccomend it to anyone who has an interest in the Army Reserve. It could be quite interesting for you as they do a lot of bridging work, but that rotates with other COE skills such as mine and IED detection and counter-mobility.

I've a feeling I wouldnt be the safest around explosives :rolleyes:

I definatly do gave an interest in the army reserve, but as I hope to do engineering, I'd like to put that to some use and hopefully improve my own skills. It'd be nice to have on a CV too lol :D Do the engineers do the same training as normal infantry? Would I have my own AUG like everyone else. I wouldn't be unarmed like a medic would I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Would I have my own AUG like everyone else. I wouldn't be unarmed like a medic would I?

A wooden stick is standard issue for an engineer in the battle field

idfv-paliwomen1.jpg?w=340

But on a serious note its a good choice, interesting work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Can someone post the requirements for joining age ect I have a daughter who would love to join but she is only 16

The paperwork cannot be started until she is 17. See www.rdf.ie for more information.

mtb_kng - you will receive the same level of training as every other corps ie same syllabus for recruit and 2 to 3*. Once this is finished, you begin corps specific training. Medics shouldn't be unarmed BTW.

• Advertisement

The paperwork cannot be started until she is 17. See www.rdf.ie for more information.

mtb_kng - you will receive the same level of training as every other corps ie same syllabus for recruit and 2 to 3*. Once this is finished, you begin corps specific training. Medics shouldn't be unarmed BTW.

I though that medics were unarmed and you just don't shoot them? So I would effectively be a normal recruit until I realh 2 or 3 star rank? And I'll start training then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I though that medics were unarmed and you just don't shoot them? So I would effectively be a normal recruit until I realh 2 or 3 star rank? And I'll start training then?

Try telling the Taliban that!

To be fair, it's probably supposed to work like that, but everyone is supposed to get along with one another and that doesn't exactly happen often ;)

Good choice though, I reckon engineers would be pretty interesting and varied. And on the point of you not being the safest around explosives, don't worry, they'll train you so you are

Try telling the Taliban that!

To be fair, it's probably supposed to work like that, but everyone is supposed to get along with one another and that doesn't exactly happen often ;)

Good choice though, I reckon engineers would be pretty interesting and varied. And on the point of you not being the safest around explosives, don't worry, they'll train you so you are

What's the story with the contract then? It's three years isn't it? Do I have to stick to that religiously or face disciplinary action?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

What's the story with the contract then? It's three years isn't it? Do I have to stick to that religiously or face disiplinary action?

It is 3 years yeah, but I'm not sure about the sticking to it religiously part. If you're serious about it, you will but there'll be no disciplinary action if you dont.

• Advertisement

Article 22 of Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field allows that personnel in medical units may be armed and may use these weapons to protect themselves and their patients. Further to that, the Taliban don't appear to be signitories to any of the Conventions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Further to that, the Taliban don't appear to be signitories to any of the Conventions.
    Just like the US! ;)

Indeed, but at least they observe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Could take a while to get sworn in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

ruserious wrote: »
    Could take a while to get sworn in

And grow the beard that most of them seem to sport.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    And grow the beard that most of them seem to sport.

Heh heh.

OP, if it's UCD you end up with, then the 62nd in McKee would love to have you. Thursdays night (I think) is their parade night.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

I definatly do gave an interest in the army reserve, but as I hope to do engineering, I'd like to put that to some use and hopefully improve my own skills. It'd be nice to have on a CV too lol :D Do the engineers do the same training as normal infantry? Would I have my own AUG like everyone else. I wouldn't be unarmed like a medic would I?

Good to see you are interested in the DF. I certainly wouldn't harm your CV either. Just be prepared to put in a good few hours getting the basic training done. Don't expect to be blowing up stuff/building bridges on your first night.:)

Even medics are trained as infantrymen first.

Best of luck anyway

Advertisement