Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hopefully this will be acceptable but im looking for some classical music recommendations, Prepare yourselves you may think me a heathen for what i might say next :p . I'm not entirely unused to classical i have one classical CD that has the best known or most recognizable pieces by Tchaikovsky, Beethoven Vivaldi and the like and its a good Cd but ultimately doesn't offer much. Hopefully some of you on this board can point me in the direction of some composers that may match my taste.

What I'm looking for is some classical or orchestral artists, to give you an idea I'm very very fond of soundtracks particularly by people like Howard Shore or Hans Zimmer so if you can think of any classical music with a lot of instrumental with a mix of high foot tapping rhythm or ones of slow and building melodies id be most appreciative,

Suggestions can either be classical or orchestral (i know very little of the latter beyond soundtrack scores)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

some more tchaikovsky would probably suit you.

Gustav holst

vaughan williams

and just seeing as you like sound tracks.......nobuo uematsu

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Sorry I cannot link on this. Bloody YouTube is down for me.

Check out Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony if you get the chance (very romantic) and Shostakovich's 10th. The Shost is a little bit further out there (for some) but it's great. Really really exciting. If you're looking for it on the 'Tube check out the SBYO's 2007 Proms performance. Just amazing. As for the Rachmaninov, try and get the NSO's recording. It's on the Naxos label and you should be able to get it in HMV for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

+1 for Tchaikovsky and +1 for Shostakovich, two of my favourites

As you mentioned you like Soundtracks, would also recommend (along with Hans Zimmer):
    John Williams- some of the most famous scores ever - ET, indiana Jones, Harry Potter
    James Horner - again, famous scores - Titanic, Braveheart, Troy, The Perfect Storm, Legends of the Fall, Apocalypto
    Ennio Morricone - famous for "The Mission" (Gabriel;s Oboe) and spaghetti westerns Once Upon a time in the West, The Untouchables,
    Danny elfman - did most of the music for Tim Burton movies
    Steve Jablonsky - a new up and coming guy and a protege of Hanz Zimmer, he did the Transformers soundtrack (a good few of my friends bought this and they're not even into classical music, it's that good)

also you might enjoy Philip Glass and Michael Nyman

Advertisement