Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship application question

Options
  • 05-02-2011 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone who reads this forum applied for an internship last year via the new system? Basically I was hoping they could give some idea of how things worked out based on students ranking in the class. Were most people happy enough with the jobs they got? I'm currently in the top 10% of my class which I'm really chuffed about but I really don't want to mess up this application.

I'd really appreciate any opinions,

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

I'm in the same boat, also in Final Med.

Just wondering if anybody knows when Step 2 of the internship application programme opens up? In Trinity they've told us nothing, other than that it'll be February or March.

Really looking forward to seeing the combinations - can't wait to just finish

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Hi,

I'm currently working as an intern so applied through the new system last year. I know this year it's a little different as you all applied earlier and haven't picked your preferences yet (I think??) but imagine it works more or less the same

Most people I know were happy with their choices and nearly all got matched to places in about their top ten. I suppose the only thing I'd say is some people tried to be strategic and put down less popular hospitals first in the hope of staying in the same region and ended up getting those places (naturally enough!) while other people that probably finished far lower than them in the rankings got places at the more popular spots. I think most of us put down where we wanted to go first and threw in a few safety places at the end of the list. Works like the CAO really-don't try to be too clever and put down somewhere you know you'll get at the expense of not getting somewhere you'd prefer

Good luck with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sammy111

Thanks a million, that makes sense but it's nice to get advice from someone who's done it! As for when the next stage occurs I think we were told March but I'm open to corrections on that one.

Thanks a million!

Chocfan, we applied for eligibility back in November and the next step is to apply for jobs directly.

As much as I'd like to stick with friends in TCD network hospitals next year and I know that the jobs you do as an intern don't really have much of a bearing/any bearing on your future career, but based on last year's options I think I'll actually be applying to AMNCH 1-4 and my next eight preferences are all in the Mater.

How are the interns from other universities coping in other networks? Having classmates around must make everything so much easier - call, asking for help etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bohemian2010

im final year UCC, prob gonna apply to limerick network hospitals, apparently there one of the few networks still paying ALL your overtime worked!! poor enough reason to choose but i got a big old loan i want to clear asap before emigrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

jmn89 wrote: »
    Thanks a million!

Chocfan, we applied for eligibility back in November and the next step is to apply for jobs directly.

As much as I'd like to stick with friends in TCD network hospitals next year and I know that the jobs you do as an intern don't really have much of a bearing/any bearing on your future career, but based on last year's options I think I'll actually be applying to AMNCH 1-4 and my next eight preferences are all in the Mater.

How are the interns from other universities coping in other networks? Having classmates around must make everything so much easier - call, asking for help etc!

Re your last line, no worries - interns stick together for the year wherever they are and wherever they are from, AND you have a team.

Thanks Bella mamma! I reckon I'm gonna go ahead and apply for the jobs I want, rather than the hospitals I want!

Did anybody hear when Step 2 is opening up? It's almost March, just want it out of the way! (Finals start in early April - eek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

is there any chance that you could do the intern year abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

paraguay99 wrote: »

It can be done. Many countries don't have intern years though (IE they're part of the course itself)

paraguay99 wrote: »

It's possibly but fairly tough to organize. It has to be an equivlent training programme, in a hospital specifically approved by the HSE, who agree to train you to meet the objectives you'd have to meet during your internship here.

All in all, easier to just do it here I reckon.

• Advertisement

It's possibly but fairly tough to organize. It has to be an equivlent training programme, in a hospital specifically approved by the HSE, who agree to train you to meet the objectives you'd have to meet during your internship here.

All in all, easier to just do it here I reckon.

It's the Medical Council, rather than the HSE, that you have talk to about it. And it doesn't necessarily have to involve a training programme - a girl in my class did her internship in Oz, but she was in a fairly unique situation. She had a chat with the medical council first.

THis year the Medical Council don't seem to have too much to do with the process. The jobs are being sorted by the MET Unit of the HSE.

I guess you're right though, the Medical Council would have to approve any internship - sorry

THis year the Medical Council don't seem to have too much to do with the process. The jobs are being sorted by the MET Unit of the HSE.

I guess you're right though, the Medical Council would have to approve any internship - sorry

The HSE won't organise a job abroad for you, is that what you meant?

For anyone interested in doing an internship overseas, read this page on the IMC's site, with particular emphasis on this document. Cases are decided on a "case by case basis", so you do need to talk to them first to make sure you're not wasting a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Advertisement