Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to live in Sydney

Options
  • 05-02-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hey all, i've recently been looking at places to say whilst in Sydney and was looking for feedback for the Parramatta region of greater Sydney.

Is it safe? Does is have good transport links to Sydney?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Safe - safe enough, obviously not all places are perfect.

As to transport - train is decent enough but a bit too far to commute to city
    30mins, taxi could cost 60-80quid though.

If you want advise on other parts of sydney, do a search on main forum, this has been asked many times - esp the eastern suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    Hey all, i've recently been looking at places to say whilst in Sydney and was looking for feedback for the Parramatta region of greater Sydney.

Cheers in advance

Safe enough during the day, at night could be a bit chancy. Very woggy wouldn't live there myself but thats my opinion.

If you want to live west of the city I would advise Burwood, Croydon or Strathfield. (all on the train line.

Rent is more realistic compared to the city and the east and its only 13K from the CBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Very woggy

Are you deliberately looking for a reaction here? What if everyone had this attitude, would the world be a better place?

Are you deliberately looking for a reaction here? What if everyone had this attitude, would the world be a better place?

Actually no..... but there are a lot of Lebanese gangs in Parramatta, I would be lying if I said there wernt.

Should have mentioned Aussies often call people from the Mediterranean (ie Lebanon, Greek Maltese etc) Wogs. Its not offesive and have often heard of wogs calling themselves wogs a bit like Irish calling themselves Paddies

There is also a couple of movies called Wog boy & Wog Boy II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Manly is lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Actually no..... but there are a lot of Lebanese gangs in Parramatta, I would be lying if I said there wernt.

Should have mentioned Aussies often call people from the Mediterranean (ie Lebanon, Greek Maltese etc) Wogs. Its not offesive and have often heard of wogs calling themselves wogs a bit like Irish calling themselves Paddies

There is also a couple of movies called Wog boy & Wog Boy II

It is offensive. Its only not if they themselves use it as self humour.

Same as abbo. So many people think its a common term when its actually very racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Jumpy wrote: »

Same as abbo. So many people think its a common term when its actually very racist.

They're fairly common terms, you'll get used to it, especially when it's said without the force of the worst possible interpretation behind it.

Jumpy wrote: »

Yeah I agree with you about abbo, don't like it myself.

Mod Okay lads - back on track, no more is it / isn't it offensive. If you have a problem please report the post

as a personal view (not a mod's view), I'm agreeing with 'mandrake04', I used to think it was highly offensive, but after hearing my white boss openly talk about wog-ball during the world cup and no one seemed offended, it appears that it seems to be the word paddy, mick or Pom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

There are plenty nice areas. I stayed at Moore Park which is near Surry Hills and about 20 mins from CBD (walking). You're real choice is whether you want to move out to Bondi or stay in the city. Bondi - obviously a fantastic place to live, but if you're working chances are your job will be more central.

Sorry, now I've read your question properly, if I recall Parramatta is about 30 mins on the train to Sydney. Ticket is a only a few dollars. There is a direct train from the centre of Parramatta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

^^^^^^^^

I thought Bondi was a bit of a dump when I was there TBH! There are much nicer places in Sydney than the much over hyped Bondi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

I thought Bondi was a bit of a dump when I was there TBH! There are much nicer places in Sydney than the much over hyped Bondi.

CRONULLA!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

If your work depends on a train to the city then its tricky. Coogee, Randwick, Moore Park etc are decent places but dont have train stations. Sydney really needs to invest in more train lines. Bondi Junction is thronged with Irish but its the best train station to be close to and close to the beaches, it also has a decent Westfield, Cinema etc. There are buses from the place I mentioned into the city but your talking about about 25/30 bucks in a taxi home from town too. If you dont mind buses then you have a lot more choice.

The standard of accomodation near Bondi Beach is generally poor and overpriced. To be honest Id recommend staying away from Bondi Road and the places down by Bondi beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

leedsfan88 wrote: »

Cheers in advance

Fair enough if you are there for work but the heat and humidity out there in summer can be pretty unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

padrepio wrote: »
    If your work depends on a train to the city then its tricky. Coogee, Randwick, Moore Park etc are decent places but dont have train stations. Sydney really needs to invest in more train lines. Bondi Junction is thronged with Irish but its the best train station to be close to and close to the beaches, it also has a decent Westfield, Cinema etc. There are buses from the place I mentioned into the city but your talking about about 25/30 bucks in a taxi home from town too. If you dont mind buses then you have a lot more choice.

There is virtually no difference in time getting to central station via train from bondi compared with bus from randwick or coogee. Basicaly straight in on anzac parade.

Taxi's from the city are pretty much the same to each.

As for beaches, Randwick is as close to coogee beach, as Bondi Junction is to Bondi Beach.

I like the whole eastern suburbs area, and there is very little between teach of the places named above tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I'd have to give the thumbs up for Randwick. Its got everything, good restaurants, close to the beaches and a very good bus service. You can also always pop up to the junction for a cultural night in the 'bull'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Does randwick still have the DOG?

For a good steak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 TheDudez

Will be working in the Alexandria / Waterloo area where the best places to live convienent to this area!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

TheDudez wrote: »
    Will be working in the Alexandria / Waterloo area where the best places to live convienent to this area!:)

you could try Pyrmont, close to city & convenient to Alexandria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

ambasite wrote: »
    you could try Pyrmont, close to city & convenient to Alexandria.

Pyrmont is a very nice area. I worked there, though didn't live there.

• Advertisement

TheDudez wrote: »

Erksinville, newtown, surry hills are good - though alexandria is nice (the parts away from the bad parts of redfern that is)

I would say pyrmont is too far and no direct transport really

attachment.php?attachmentid=147195&stc=1&d=1297205171

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Zambia wrote: »

Its still there alright but haven't had a steak in ages. Keep meaning to stop in on a Wednesday evening to 'admire' the surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia wrote: »

For a good steak
    Yeah, still the best bar food in sydney. Kids meals are ridic value (if you don't want to eat a bi feed when drinking)
    coldfeet wrote: »
    Its still there alright but haven't had a steak in ages. Keep meaning to stop in on a Wednesday evening to 'admire' the surroundings

:D
    Wednesday, is still Wednesday too

Advertisement