Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap honey?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know which supermarket (or other outlet in Mayo) sells the cheapest honey? I need to buy 12lbs of the stuff and would prefer not to pay through the nose. If anyone is producing honey in Mayo, that would be even better - I don't need posh packaging, I just need honey!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I don't know if you can buy honey in such a large quantity in Ireland.
    I tried looking some stuff up online but i'm not sure how much help it will be to you. :(
    My aunt is the manager in a Cash and Carry here in Sligo. I'll buzz her in the morning and ask her if they sell honey in bulk and for a decent price.

Maybe Lidl and Aldi would be your safest bet? I've had the honey from Lidl and it's pretty good.

12 pounds of honey. That's quite a sum! :P

Here's a link I just found, it's up north though :/

http://www.aghadoweyfoodservices.com/category_poducts.php?selCAT=26

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

ask in a local restaurant maybe they have a supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would just buy a tray of own brand ones. Cash & carrys can be a lot more expensive than supermarkets.

I am guessing you are making mead? I used to brew lots of beer and went to musgraves to see how cheap the sugar was, it was a good bit more expensive than any supermarkets. They had 25kg bags of suicra brand and it costed more than the 1kg bags alongside it in musgraves. Even if it was cheaper it would be hassle to go get it.

A lot of places selling bulk will want an account set up etc

12lb is only 6 large jars, or 12 regular jars, tesco own brand is €5 per kilo, the value range is 4.44/kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 miken5

Hi,..
    I get my honey from our local health food store. You bring your own jar and
    decant the type you want. It's also a good way to get to sample the different
    flavors of honey.

i love to use it with breads,..

Advertisement