Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's "No quibble Guarantee"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

As has been pointed out, until you have had your money accepted you have not been charged. I think the OP owes Tesco an apology for

a) Misrepresentation of the incident

b) Trying to work the system to get free tape
    WTF???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Isn't it amazing that someone misintreperts a policy like this, the way I see it you were perfectly willing to pay the sticker price for your product and that's what you ending up doing so what's your issue (setting aside being cussed at)

As someone else pointed out you just need to understand and use the system, I bought a 3 tin pack of chopped tomatos on offer in Tesco at the weekend as part of a bigger purchase. I checked my receipt AFTER paying and saw I was overcharged, I went back onto the floor and bought 7 more packs, paid for them and then went to customer service with my two receipts and politely pointed out my over-charge and received my money back.

Systems are there to be used, with 30,000+ SKU's in larger Tesco stores it is near impossible to get them all perfectly priced, the no-quibble policy is a proven cheap way to ensure correct pricing, it's (within a level of understanding) a win-win situation to a degree.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I've gone back to the CS counter a few times, all 'gung-ho' and ready to state my case. On one or two occassions, I've been wrong when for example, I bought a bottle of wine that I thought was 6.99 but it was 13.99...although it was stacked on the 6.99 shelf:mad:

Anyway, each time I was right, I noticed that the girl was automatically refuding me the difference in price - until I politely point out the 'no quibble guarantee' to her...I don't think the staff are encouraged to just give you a full refund in the hope that not every customer is aware of the no quibble guarantee. Just my experience - this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dan133269 wrote: »
    HOLD EVERYTHING!

I've just a thought. If you are overcharged and get your money back. Can you then run to the aisle and pick up every stock of that particular product, bring it to a different till and pay for them before they have a chance to change the price in the system, and get all of that product for free? :eek: Wouldn't mind getting 100 chicken fillets for free, would freeze them and that's my meat for the year :D

Apart from the fact that there is not likely to be 100 chicken fillets out at one stage, and if that is your only meat you could end up anaemic, if you want cheap food go in about 8ish of an evening and they will very likely be selling off food on its sell by date at 10c a go. Its perfectly good and you can throw it in the freezer no problem. I have bought salmon fillets and chicken for 10c on the odd occasion I have gone in at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

theavenger wrote: »
    Damn Tesco the B*****ds for providing us, well the people who can understand it with a policy that benifits us........im off to dunnes:cool:

I wouldn't bother, it's the same policy there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Dunne's now give the item for free if you pay more than the price on the SEL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fittle wrote: »

Anyway, each time I was right, I noticed that the girl was automatically refuding me the difference in price - until I politely point out the 'no quibble guarantee' to her...I don't think the staff are encouraged to just give you a full refund in the hope that not every customer is aware of the no quibble guarantee. Just my experience - this happened to anyone else?

Yes, found this myself. now I never actually did get any quibble when I pointed out the full refund policy but a full refund not being volunteered and no argument when its asked for and then given supports a case for what you suggested in my experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I think grocery do, drapery refund the difference, my info might be a little out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was overcharged for something there a couple of weeks ago and only received the difference in price. I've never heard of Dunnes having the full refund policy.

I've found it depends on the person. If they are newish it can happen but if it's someone who's been there a while I've always gotten the full refund without having to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Next we'll be expecting McDonalds to tell us that their coffee is hot and Ford to have a little sign in wing mirrors that objects may be closer than they appear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got items free once in dunnes, several other times I only got the difference, I don't think there is a policy there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Next we'll be expecting McDonalds to tell us that their coffee is hot and Ford to have a little sign in wing mirrors that objects may be closer than they appear....

Most cars in America have that warning on the wing mirrors and McDonalds have a warning on their papers about hot contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Fittle wrote: »
    I've gone back to the CS counter a few times, all 'gung-ho' and ready to state my case. On one or two occassions, I've been wrong when for example, I bought a bottle of wine that I thought was 6.99 but it was 13.99...although it was stacked on the 6.99 shelf:mad:

I don't think Tesco management have a clue about their no quibble policy. Some refund you the difference, others give you the product free, some will argue the point, others ive you the difference and the product free. I even noticed that the no quibble policy on display in some of the older stores is different than the new stores! Someone not replacing signs it seems!

Oh trust me they do, but as it is their job on the line they make sure they stick to the rules of it as it is closely monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

I noticed to overcharging error on my reciept yesterday and when i went to customer services had to walk around with the lady to show her the mistakes written on the shelves! Baby and toddler in tow, but got money back and items free so not too bad.

proulx wrote: »
    I noticed to overcharging error on my reciept yesterday and when i went to customer services had to walk around with the lady to show her the mistakes written on the shelves! Baby and toddler in tow, but got money back and items free so not too bad.

That has always been the case. You show them the error so they know it's genuine and what they have to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tina babe

hey this happened to my bf over xmas in tramore... he bought a ps3 game and was charged twice for it ... he went back the next day and they said i will refund you one of them . my bf argued that it was their mistake and that we should have got it for nothing...but no luck ! its crazy ...why have a sign at all!

tina babe wrote: »
    hey this happened to my bf over xmas in tramore... he bought a ps3 game and was charged twice for it ... he went back the next day and they said i will refund you one of them . my bf argued that it was their mistake and that we should have got it for nothing...but no luck ! its crazy ...why have a sign at all!

That probably not covered as being charged twice is different from being charged more than the price on display so it wouldn't be covered by the T&C of the guarantee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Can anybody tell me the best way to place a complaint with Tesco's head office? I have gone back in store and they did not deal with my complaint satisfactorily and the manager was even quite rude. I assume an email will not be followed up and a letter addressed to Complaints Department merely tossed on a heap. What is the best way to get this dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

líreacán wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me the best way to place a complaint with Tesco's head office? I have gone back in store and they did not deal with my complaint satisfactorily and the manager was even quite rude. I assume an email will not be followed up and a letter addressed to Complaints Department merely tossed on a heap. What is the best way to get this dealt with?

Here is where I sent my letter to:

Mr Tony Keohane,
    CEO.,
    Tesco Ireland Limited,
    Gresham House,
    Marine Road,
    Dun Laoghaire,
    Co Dublin.

Got a reply this week with a tesco gift card for 15euro :D

• Advertisement

@ Busman, Can you post your reply?

It really depends on the problem and what out come you want.

More info?

@ Busman, Can you post your reply?

It really depends on the problem and what out come you want.

More info?

I don't think that he understood what my letter was about and just answered it like I actually had a complaint about a specific incident rather than answering the questions I asked in the letter!

I don't want to post all of the letter but basically he just thanked me for the letter etc, was concerned to learn of problem with staff over "No quibble policy"
    Would have liked me to identify store so that Store Manager could fully investigate.
    By way of apology for upset and inconvenience enclosed Tesco Moneycard for 15 euro etc ......

The interesting paragraph on the policy I will post :

We employ a team of staff in each store to ensure that the correct price for every product is displayed on the shelf. However, on rare occasions, the price displayed on the shelf can differ from the price scanned at the checkout. It is always a matter of regret when mistakes like this occur as we take all reasonable steps to ensure that our pricing is correct. We also have a strict policy that governs these instances;if you are overcharged we will refund the price of the product and you can keep the product

From my reading of this, I would think it is fair to assume that once the item is scanned and the incorrect price is displayed that the mistake has been made! and that the "No Quibble" policy would kick in. But then he goes on to muddy the water with the word "refund" :confused:

I'm glade that I wrote the letter and am happy in general with the reply even if he didn't answer the questions I had asked :(
    If I have the time I might send him a reply to see if I could get answers to my actual questions!

yep looks like they didn't read the letter.... Oh well 15 euro to spend. Similar answer to another guy who got a bad apple in a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

busman wrote: »

The interesting paragraph on the policy I will post :

We employ a team of staff in each store to ensure that the correct price for every product is displayed on the shelf. However, on rare occasions, the price displayed on the shelf can differ from the price scanned at the checkout. It is always a matter of regret when mistakes like this occur as we take all reasonable steps to ensure that our pricing is correct. We also have a strict policy that governs these instances;if you are overcharged we will refund the price of the product and you can keep the product

From my reading of this, I would think it is fair to assume that once the item is scanned and the incorrect price is displayed that the mistake has been made! and that the "No Quibble" policy would kick in. But then he goes on to muddy the water with the word "refund" :confused:

From my reading it is very clear what is meant. If you are overcharged you will be refunded. Overcharged meaning you have paid for the item. This is different to spotting it at the checkout before paying. The very fact he said also implies this is referencing something different.

Tescos policy is quite clear - if you are overcharged you will be refunded the full price of the item - no quibbles. If you point out the pricing error before paying then you have not been overcharged.

At one time Superquinn had a policy that said "if the price scanned is different than the price displayed you get that product free of charge" and this was extended to non scans as well - ie if the barcode didn't scan you got the item free too.

In that scenario customers are entitled to an item free if it scans incorrectly or fails to scan. This is not what Tesco offer.

From my reading it is very clear what is meant. If you are overcharged you will be refunded. Overcharged meaning you have paid for the item. This is different to spotting it at the checkout before paying. The very fact he said also implies this is referencing something different.

Tescos policy is quite clear - if you are overcharged you will be refunded the full price of the item - no quibbles. If you point out the pricing error before paying then you have not been overcharged.

At one time Superquinn had a policy that said "if the price scanned is different than the price displayed you get that product free of charge" and this was extended to non scans as well - ie if the barcode didn't scan you got the item free too.

In that scenario customers are entitled to an item free if it scans incorrectly or fails to scan. This is not what Tesco offer.

It doesn't say "overcharged" is clearly states "charged"

Please read this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170028

Also re read the response I got from Tony Keohane, he clearly states that if the price scanned at the checkout is different that that at on the shelf it is a mistake!

Maybe a mod can combine both these treads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The secret with Tesco is to keep quiet and pay and then claim a refund afterwards.

It doesn't say "overcharged" is clearly states "charged"

Please read this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170028

The actual wording:

in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble

The policy says charged a higher price - overcharged is a different use of language but it means exactly the same. The point is that to be overcharged or to keep your good self clear on it "charged a higher price" you have to actually pay for the goods. Only then have you been charged.
    Also re read the response I got from Tony Keohane, he clearly states that if the price scanned at the checkout is different that that at on the shelf it is a mistake!

Yes he says it was a mistake - then goes on to say ALSO and then refers to the no quibble policy. He at no times refers to the no quibble policy as been in effect if the price is scanned incorrectly. He states if you are overcharged we will refund the price of the product and you can keep the product. These are two seperate things and you're not the first to be confused by it.

The secret with Tesco is to keep quiet and pay and then claim a refund afterwards.

Exactly. Get yourself overcharged then head to the customer service desk for a refund. :)

OP, What's your complaint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

"We employ a team of staff in each store to ensure that the correct price for every product is displayed on the shelf. However, on rare occasions, the price displayed on the shelf can differ from the price scanned at the checkout. It is always a matter of regret when mistakes like this occur as we take all reasonable steps to ensure that our pricing is correct. We also have a strict policy that governs these instances;if you are overcharged we will refund the price of the product and you can keep the product"

Re Busman: Its pretty obvious from this that you are not overchared until you pay for the product. how else can u get a refund unless u have paid!?

tony's words... end of debate

Advertisement