Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a Psychic Give Very Bad New?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Oryx wrote: »
    I would disagree with you to a degree. A psychic can be a hell of a lot more careful in how they put something across. Tell her to get a checkup, without a halfassed vague diagnosis that helps noone. If the psychic is that sure, then pin it down to where it is, at least let the poor person rule it in or out simply. And no psychic should ever be so arrogant as to assume they are never wrong. Of course they can get it wrong.
    Perhaps there needs to be more regulation and training of psychics? As it it, I believe that anyone can claim to be a psychic and mess with gullible peoples' lives.

They should have some sort of test to prove that they actually are psychic*, and then training on how best to deal with this sort of situation and the others (such as the suicide one). Then they qualify as registered psychics and people will know that they can be trusted and clients will get value for money/quality service.

*make verifiable predictions about the future for example, not stuff like 'you know someone called John' or 'you are a kind person, but sometimes shy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Shazanne wrote: »
    I am a bit wary of giving the name to be honest. But if my friend gets the all-clear (which I pray she does) I will blow the lid on the psychic then - big time! Am even considering calling Joe Duffy or some such person to try and prevent anyone else being subjected to this.
    But couldn't the psychic claim that they were talking about some time in the future? Even if your friend is all-clear now, that does not disprove 'you will get cancer'.

Edit: ah, she said she has it already. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Maybe this will comfort you OP: Twelve years ago a psychic told me I would have a career in photography and that a red hair girl would help me. Now, this career in photography is very slow to take off. I have done a few courses in photograph and all the time looking for this helpful redhair girl... Once I met this girl who had red hair and was a photographer, but she never helped me... This is never going to come true now, I feel. By the way, when I visited this psychic I did have my oldfashioned 70's photographer-camera with me. Maybe she saw something that she interpreted as a sign of cancer in you, for example dark circles under eyes or whatever, or it could be anything, her idea of what is a sign of cancer could be anything. By the way- the rest of the things this psychic that told me about the redhaired woman and my career in photography, told me were extremely accurate. I think some psychics can be extremely accurate about some things and completely wrong about others. What they are seally doing is interpreting signs that their subconscious or something picks up on- and sometimes they can pick up on something irrelevant and interpret it wrongly- but not being able to differentiate the wrong info from the right. Something like that...
    :)

Now, I am off to the photography forum to ask if there is any redhaired women there. I still havent given up on this....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

celtic1888 wrote: »
    actually Shazanne

get the girl to go to Billy before she spends any major money on professional advice...if he tells her shes sick then tell her to get to a doctors pronto....if he dimisses it then id take that as a clean bill of health, because in all honestly a psychic diagnosis is horse sh#te and if another more renowned and tried and tested psychic gives the all clear then i would personally take that on board

Way to contradict yourself.

In all seriousness this "psychic" that told her she had cancer needs a good solid kick up the ****ing arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

and when the doc gives the all clear, go back and punch that psychic in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭celtic1888

albeit wrote: »
    Maybe this will comfort you OP: Twelve years ago a psychic told me I would have a career in photography and that a red hair girl would help me. Now, this career in photography is very slow to take off. I have done a few courses in photograph and all the time looking for this helpful redhair girl... Once I met this girl who had red hair and was a photographer, but she never helped me... This is never going to come true now, I feel. By the way, when I visited this psychic I did have my oldfashioned 70's photographer-camera with me. Maybe she saw something that she interpreted as a sign of cancer in you, for example dark circles under eyes or whatever, or it could be anything, her idea of what is a sign of cancer could be anything. By the way- the rest of the things this psychic that told me about the redhaired woman and my career in photography, told me were extremely accurate. I think some psychics can be extremely accurate about some things and completely wrong about others. What they are seally doing is interpreting signs that their subconscious or something picks up on- and sometimes they can pick up on something irrelevant and interpret it wrongly- but not being able to differentiate the wrong info from the right. Something like that...
    :)

Now, I am off to the photography forum to ask if there is any redhaired women there. I still havent given up on this....:o

Free will too will change the vast majority of predictions as they are only "paths" at the time of a reading and its the sitters own choice of which one to take

that said cancer will hardly bloody change, you either have it or you dont
    Opinicus wrote: »
    Way to contradict yourself.

In all seriousness this "psychic" that told her she had cancer needs a good solid kick up the ****ing arse!

no, what i mean is, i wouldnt be taking the word of some psychic to spend big money on health procedures, what i would do is get a second opinion from a well renowned psychic and if he (Billy imo) says shes ok i take that on board

this is all spirtual, what if the second or third opinion in a spiritual sense gives her the all clear (without any prior info of course) what one do you take as gospel? especially since its not an exact science....if we knew this alleged psychics name some people may be able to give the OP experiences of readings theyve had with him/her...

like ive been to a few psychics in my day and theyve all turned out to be either complete muck, average or below average apart from Billy (thats just my opinion) and theyve predicted a wide variety of stuff

sure one of them told me to stop smoking as she sensed a problem with one of my lungs...the fact that id just finished a smoke outside her gaff before the reading didnt prompt her im sure...5 years later and im still here and healthy and i dont smoke that often anyway but she had me down on a potential "hitlist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

no, what i mean is, i wouldnt be taking the word of some psychic to spend big money on health procedures, what i would do is get a second opinion from a well renowned psychic and if he (Billy imo) says shes ok i take that on board

I know that's what you meant, and it still doesn't make any sense.

Opinicus wrote: »
    I know that's what you meant, and it still doesn't make any sense.

i would get a second opinion from Billy Martin and if he also said the girl was ill id take far more from him saying it that this other "psychic", if he said she wasnt ill id be the same...hes one of the best around from my experience and ive heard of him telling people they are ill etc before and ive personally experienced his predictions happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Or she could ask a doctor...

zuroph wrote: »
    Or she could ask a doctor...

of course, but for relative peace of mind before she goes through tests etc as all this is based on is someone alleging that they are psychic, because lets be honest "youve cancer" is hardly overly specific, she'll need to be tested from head to toe and i doubt that comes cheap

i would still love to know the name of this purported psychic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

of course, but for relative peace of mind before she goes through tests etc as all this is based on is someone alleging that they are psychic, because lets be honest "youve cancer" is hardly overly specific, she'll need to be tested from head to toe and i doubt that comes cheap

i would still love to know the name of this purported psychic

Hi Celtic. I will PM you the name, but I am very wary of putting it up here on a public domain. The last thing we need right now is a further problem with the psychic. My friend remains very distressed, as you can imagine, but she doesn't want people to know that this has happened to her. In fact, she does not know I have this thread up here either - even though it is totally anonymous.
    She is going to the doctor in the morning for bloods and a smear.

Hi Celtic. I will PM you the name, but I am very wary of putting it up here on a public domain. The last thing we need right now is a further problem with the psychic. My friend remains very distressed, as you can imagine, but she doesn't want people to know that this has happened to her. In fact, she does not know I have this thread up here either - even though it is totally anonymous.
    She is going to the doctor in the morning for bloods and a smear.

Yeah please do, and hopefully she gets the all clear from the doctor...id imagine she will...

also tell her to steer the f#ck clear of psychics in future...her story has highlighted the risk people take when wanting to know about the future as no one lives a perfect life and it isnt always good news unless its a charlatan "psychic"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm with 28064212 here -- if I had reason to believe that someone has cancer, I'd tell them. If I'm wrong, then there'll be some needless anguish of course, but if I'm right, then I just saved their life. It would be irresponsible to withold that information. Of course they could be wrong, but as far as the psychic is concerned the information is fairly reliable, since they got it from the same source that they get the rest of their information that they have no trouble telling their sitters.

Of course, if like me you think that psychics are bullshizzlers, then you'll have a different perspective...

Hi again.
    I started this thread back on February 4th after my friend had been told by a "reputable" psychic that she has cancer. I am really happy to report that she has had all possible tests and had been given the all clear medically. All she needed was some B12 injections - otherwise she is in perfect health - thank God.
    This psychic put her through hell over the last number of weeks and I certainly dont think that any psychic should do this to a person. If he was as certain as he claimed he was (he told her to get herself checked immediately as she already had cancer) then where is the medical proof? So obviously he saw nothing but sent her to hell and back for no reason:mad:

Delighted your friend is fine, she should now sue the psychic for costs of the tests.

Thanks. In an ideal world that would be the thing to do alright - but in all honesty, where would it get her? Can you just imagine a case like that coming before a judge? I think we just have to be grateful that she is in good health and learn a valuable lesson - never put ourselves through this again!!
    And I am still mulling around the idea of naming and shaming the psychic - but the irony of that could be that the psychic would sue us! I do believe he should be stopped though, before he puts anyone else through such anguish.

Glad to hear your friend's in good health, maybe she'll think twice before going to a psychic again. Dunno what she was expecting the psychic to do really -- they receive this information through the usual channels, which they believe to be accurate, so it would be irresponsible of them to just forget about it and let your friend (as far as they're concerned) carry on their life while there's a tumour growing inside them.

Your friend (at least prior to the last visit) would no doubt have been happy to take the information from the psychic if it related to some dead relative or whatever. Why then the sudden skepticism when it comes to this health claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

And I am still mulling around the idea of naming and shaming the psychic - but the irony of that could be that the psychic would sue us!

The psychic could sue no one. The only reason they're allowed to operate at all is that they are legally counted as a form of entertainment.

Name and shame.

Brilliant news! just goes to show you how risky it is visiting "psychics"....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Monty raised a good point earlier. Why not regulate mediums? They deal with lots of vulnerable people and they are capabable of causing serious distress. I mean, what's to stop me claiming to be a medium and saying stuff like "Your spouse is cheating" or "You have AIDS"? Only scientifically proven mediums should be allowed to operate and they should be trained in communication.

• Advertisement

so what you're saying is outlaw mediums :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

zuroph wrote: »
    so what you're saying is outlaw mediums :pac:

All but the ones with proven psychic abilities ;).

How would they prove that though and how would we know that they have done so properly? I fully agree that the rouges should be outed - just not sure how it could be done?
    The guys (and gals too) are making a fortune on the back of our vulnerability and, I suppose, curiosity to some extent. The guy we went to got €150 cash in hand for two and a half hours work. And there had been six other people just before us.
    But, money aside, the pain and suffering that inaccurate information can cause is capable of devastating a persons life and it should not be allowed to continue.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How would they prove that though and how would we know that they have done so properly? I fully agree that the rouges should be outed - just not sure how it could be done?
    The guys (and gals too) are making a fortune on the back of our vulnerability and, I suppose, curiosity to some extent. The guy we went to got €150 cash in hand for two and a half hours work. And there had been six other people just before us.
    But, money aside, the pain and suffering that inaccurate information can cause is capable of devastating a persons life and it should not be allowed to continue.
    mcmoustache was making the point that they cant be proven scientifically. Or at least none have without failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 995thewolf

I have just came across this thread and i am shocked and saddened about the poor girl who was given the wrong information. It does not bear thinking about. I once seen a programme on television that said NO ONE has the ability to tell the future!! Myself and my friend has been to a few, including Billy Martin. Everything he told my friend about meeting her boyfriend and family things have happened!!!! I am still waiting.

995thewolf wrote: »
    I have just came across this thread and i am shocked and saddened about the poor girl who was given the wrong information. It does not bear thinking about. I once seen a programme on television that said NO ONE has the ability to tell the future!! Myself and my friend has been to a few, including Billy Martin. Everything he told my friend about meeting her boyfriend and family things have happened!!!! I am still waiting.

at this stage im embarrassed at the amount ive harped on about him on here but if he connects to you he is genuinely a bleeding phenomenon!

that said, never wait for anything, you need to live & reflect as opposed to hear a prediction and sit around waiting...Free will will scupper most predictions

it is a form of entertainment afterall and great for getting some perspective especially when you know that he is genuine...its not imo to find out the definate future as you yourself determine that (for the most part)

Everything he told my friend about meeting her boyfriend and family things have happened

Probably something to the effect of "you will meet a man, and a family member will die, in the not too distant future" :o
    that said, never wait for anything, you need to live & reflect as opposed to hear a prediction and sit around waiting...Free will will scupper most predictions

Well isn't that handy for psychics :p

May I, (just for clarification and in case anyone has not read all of this thread), state that we did not go to see Billy Martin. I would hate that man's name to be associated in any bad way with this thread. I have never met the man, neither have the two people who were with me that night. I know it was never suggested on here that we went to Billy Martin but, just in case anyone might have that impression, it was not him.

Dave! wrote: »
    Probably something to the effect of "you will meet a man, and a family member will die, in the not too distant future" :o

Well isn't that handy for psychics :p

you have to experience it to understand it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 995thewolf

With regards to my last post, i want to make it clear that i did not say it might have been billy that they went to see. I was just telling you that my friend and I had been to him. With regards to my friends reading, he was able to tell her the exact way she was going to meet her boyfriend. He also told her the exact reason herself and her family had a disagreement, which was something that happened over 30 years ago, before she was born!! This was a few years ago now. It was a bit of fun for me but i know there is a lot of people out there who take very much to heart what these people say.

Advertisement