Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda is afraid of Vincent.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I've noticed that the reaction of the main media (tv and journo's), is more and more out of touch with the opinion of the rest of society.

This is starkly highlighted by the emergence of social media (boards and twitter for example). Also noticed that many of the election journalists seem to think of themselves as some kind of an elite.

Look at the reaction after the debates last night - the panelists thought it was the tv event of the decade. ZZzzzzz.
    And while the print media seems 100% behind the idea that Kenny is cowardly for sidestepping the tv3 debate - public opinion is, as far as I can see, tilted towards a belief that he has done the right thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say it's cute hoorism knowing that all he has to do is keep his head down and he gets to be leader of the government. He's basically gonna get this handed to him on a plate. Still his handlers must think he's such a liability they still don't want to risk him in a public debate. Kenny does come across as a bit of a dithering fool more often than not. His late late show appearance was pretty piss poor.

The culshie mammies love him though. :confused: One of the better ones I read was on Boards ages ago where someone described enda kenny as "statesmanlike". Sweet zombie Jesus. We're boned.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Look at the reaction after the debates last night - the panelists thought it was the tv event of the decade. ZZzzzzz.
    And while the print media seems 100% behind the idea that Kenny is cowardly for sidestepping the tv3 debate - public opinion is, as far as I can see, tilted towards a belief that he has done the right thing.
    I don't think thats the case at all. IMO the overwhelming opinion towards Enda and his refusal to go on VB has been very negative. Enda and FG scored a needless own goal here, particularly with regards the pisspoor excuses he gave for not attending. To me it comes across as if FG are trying to hide Enda away from public scrutiny to prevent some unmerciful gaff, that doesn't really inspire confidence in the man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've noticed that the reaction of the main media (tv and journo's), is more and more out of touch with the opinion of the rest of society.

This is starkly highlighted by the emergence of social media (boards and twitter for example). Also noticed that many of the election journalists seem to think of themselves as some kind of an elite.

Did you ever think that maybe what you think is not necessarily what everyone else thinks?

Hate to break it to you, but Boards.ie for starters is not proportionally representative of the electorate at all - and a great deal of people who actually bother to use Twitter to tweet their political thoughts are already hacks (whether they be FF,FG,Labour etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Apparently Enda was having his dinner when the debate was going on today, very busy schedule alright
    In fairness even TV3 pointed out that they spend 10-15 mins having some food after canvassing all day and after the meal the town hall meeting started and ran until late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

KerranJast wrote: »
    In fairness even TV3 pointed out that they spend 10-15 mins having some food after canvassing all day and after the meal the town hall meeting started and ran until late.

Aye, I think most reasonable people will see that the story the tabloids are running with is just a cheap dig. Anyone who has been involved in a campaign will tell you that it is vital for the candidate to get a decent break during the day.

Did you ever think that maybe what you think is not necessarily what everyone else thinks?

Hate to break it to you, but Boards.ie for starters is not proportionally representative of the electorate at all - and a great deal of people who actually bother to use Twitter to tweet their political thoughts are already hacks (whether they be FF,FG,Labour etc.).

I think you wasted a lot of words here to say nothing SO. Your response seems reactionary and either you havn't read my post or didn't understand it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno. I'd say 50/50 at best, more like 70/30 in favour of kenny being economical with bravery and giving a pisspoor excuse for it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno. I'd say 50/50 at best, more like 70/30 in favour of kenny being economical with bravery and giving a pisspoor excuse for it.

Well, I'm sure the papers will soon have a few polls on the subject. I accept that the public opinion I find here in Mayo may be a little weighted towards the local man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I am so ashamed that this pathetic excuse for a "leader" carries my name. He is dragging it through the mud the plank. For this reason alone I hope he loses the election...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mkearney

VinB is entertainment pure and simple. Between the self serving buffoonery and tiny audience, the mystery is why any politician agrees to go on the show never mind a debate. I'm not Kennys biggest fan by any means but if you ask me he was the brave one, by not agreeing to appear. Plenty of proper debate coming up. If its entertainment you want, Sky Atlantic is pretty good I hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

mkearney wrote: »
    VinB is entertainment pure and simple. Between the self serving buffoonery and tiny audience, the mystery is why any politician agrees to go on the show never mind a debate. I'm not Kennys biggest fan by any means but if you ask me he was the brave one, by not agreeing to appear. Plenty of proper debate coming up. If its entertainment you want, Sky Atlantic is pretty good I hear!

In fairness to VinnyB. His show is proberly the most popular show on TV3, and arguably the best politcal show in Ireland. Not to mention it's watched many people all over Ireland. He's not such a bad host, at least he asks the questions people want to hear, and dosen't let them off the hook.

Fair enough, but it would proberly have been more prudent fror Enda to have been at the debate then doing whatever he was doing

I think you wasted a lot of words here to say nothing SO. Your response seems reactionary and either you havn't read my post or didn't understand it.

I am basically saying that you are biased in favour of Enda Kenny (more so than the general electorate), which you seem to have admitted below.
    I accept that the public opinion I find here in Mayo may be a little weighted towards the local man.

You could have a case of the "UP MAYO!" syndrome (ala Cllr. Joe Mellett), which is fair enough . . . I would probably be more supportive of Enda if he was from North Tipperary, but it does not mean the rest of the electorate would be! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

mkearney wrote: »

I don't understand this sentiment.

He gives politicians NO leeway for waffle, any questions he asks are responded to with waffle. He cuts through them when they start dragging things out and gets to the core of the issue, how can anyone fault that?

I would give Vincent Browne my vote as an interviewer of politicians over any of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Riddle101 wrote: »
    In fairness to VinnyB. His show is proberly the most popular show on TV3, and arguably the best politcal show in Ireland. Not to mention it's watched many people all over Ireland. He's not such a bad host, at least he asks the questions people want to hear, and dosen't let them off the hook.

Fair enough, but it would proberly have been more prudent fror Enda to have been at the debate then doing whatever he was doing

Not only that but vinb is watched from several countries all over the world, by world economists and bankers looking to get a view of our what our next government will be like. What does it look like when Enda doesnt show up because of dinner/dance hall chat/doesnt get on with presenter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well, I'm sure the papers will soon have a few polls on the subject. I accept that the public opinion I find here in Mayo may be a little weighted towards the local man.

I never got this country over county thing (im not saying its a view you hold) I wont vote for a man simply because hes from my county, even if I lived in mayo and I picked a candidate because hes from mayo, I would have to realize that the man is responsible for the whole country. To reply in a sense to the jackie healy rae dictim " I have a responsibility to my county first" gobsheenism, any downturn due to mishandling of the country as a whole will decimate the county he values so much. The county depends on the country not vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Enda Kenny is a fool, and this has at least shown that. I'd be really curious to see how many potential FG voters will change their minds because of this.

I am basically saying that you are biased in favour of Enda Kenny (more so than the general electorate), which you seem to have admitted below.

You could have a case of the "UP MAYO!" syndrome (ala Cllr. Joe Mellett), which is fair enough . . . I would probably be more supportive of Enda if he was from North Tipperary, but it does not mean the rest of the electorate would be! :)

Well, I would diagnose you with an acute case of "Selective Reading Syndrome". You might also be interested to know that a vaccination against the "Jumping To Conclusions Virus" is now available from your G.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

ejmaztec wrote: »

He's a journalist more than he's anything else.

Isnt that a good thing?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement