Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Deere 6430

• 05-02-2011 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi All,

Considering purchasing John Deere 6430.

I hear people all saying 'ah John Deere keep away' too pricey to fix and not simple.

advise...??

Dont do tillage so dont need the bigger models just something with a bit more poke and torque for heavier jobs around farm. Pulling trailers etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Hi All,

Considering purchasing John Deere 6430.

I hear people all saying 'ah John Deere keep away' too pricey to fix and not simple.

advise...??

Dont do tillage so dont need the bigger models just something with a bit more poke and torque for heavier jobs around farm. Pulling trailers etc..

Our contractor has a premium model, very nice comfortable cab, front/cab suspension, 50k box, loader.
    Extrmely spritely little thing on a 16 ft red rock and is often prefered out of the yard than bigger more awkward machines.
    Had her twice stacking bales myself, smooth ride loader and big rubber make it a VERY stable loader tractor yet it's quite small in size.
    Depends on spec you want, top spec id go for it alright, but medium-low a T6030 NH isn't too far off the mark either

For heavy work on premium models only (afaik) they have a power boost feature, Contractor uses this machine to most his bailing/mowing but she does be border line on engaging the boost in work, so up hills etc she engages it but drinks fuel like there's no tommorow. Has had this constantly teaked last 3 years and still not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 myoddsox

An MF 5470 (125hp) has a sisu engine, has poke, torque and short with good lock for around the yard with loader!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

How heavy are these trailers? A 6430 will drink diesel,So if you dont need 125h.p, Look at 6330 Premium. A bit cheaper and will give out nearly the power of a 6430 SE when needed, Won't be as thirsty and will be a nicer tractor to drive.

B.T.W If its pulling power your after don't even consider a T6030. First hand experience with them here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Shnondore Pedigrees

After re-considering a 6330Premium would be ideal as I dont really need the 125hp power.

Really just pulling dump trailers or going for loasds of straw / Bales of silage.

I have a Zetor 8441 Proxima with loader and it struggles up not very big hills when pulling a load of say 20 bales.

I have my eye on a john deere.. I havnt been to a dealer yet and really doinh homework at the mo.

Reliability?

More importantly Cost?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Did you look at the new zetor's? An 115 or 125 Forterra? The look a nice tractor and now come with forward/ reverse shuttle. I'll be will be looking at them come time to change loader tractor
    in the autumn

• Advertisement

What year are you thinking of? Brand New?

Was thinking of 2008 + with regards to year.

Then again a new one could be an option. Finance vs reliability. Naively thinking new will not let you down.

@ Pat the Lad... Glanced at them. Sure there is the huge price difference but the one I have has really been nothing but trouble. Especially hydraulics. "loader falling" got that fixed. Then back end acting up. Clutch x 2 and then brakes where an issue.

Just to note the tractor bought as new only has 1300 hrs.

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

buy a 6330 standard but wit front suspension you dont need power boost or the computer ,alot people around here buyin the standard models now ,dealer says there easier to sell afterswards

buy a 6330 standard but wit front suspension you dont need power boost or the computer ,alot people around here buyin the standard models now ,dealer says there easier to sell afterswards

Surely a premium would be easier sold?

myoddsox wrote: »
    An MF 5470 (125hp) has a sisu engine, has poke, torque and short with good lock for around the yard with loader!

Hi myoddsox.
    I like the Massey tractors myself and will be changing my loader tractor in the autumn. Was thinking along the lines of 5465/70 or 6465. Seen a few in dealers yards but thought the looked abit big for loader/yard tractor, so was thinking 5455/60?? Depends on set up - sheds etc I suppose.
    Is yours dyna 4 or the earlier dyna shift heard the dyna shift is better than the newer dyna 4?? What's your thoughts. Also, I was advised to go for dyna 6 over dyna 4- better gear selection and ratios etc with greater range of gears available?? And thoughts or advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hi myoddsox.
    I like the Massey tractors myself and will be changing my loader tractor in the autumn. Was thinking along the lines of 5465/70 or 6465. Seen a few in dealers yards but thought the looked abit big for loader/yard tractor, so was thinking 5455/60?? Depends on set up - sheds etc I suppose.
    Is yours dyna 4 or the earlier dyna shift heard the dyna shift is better than the newer dyna 4?? What's your thoughts. Also, I was advised to go for dyna 6 over dyna 4- better gear selection and ratios etc with greater range of gears available?? And thoughts or advice

hey pat
    have an 06 5455 with a quicke loader, good tractor now, lock wouldnt be the greatest though, mine was before the dyna 4 so i only have c and d option, to be honest i dont like the gears in it, i find even for just moving about the yard if you dont start in 1 c it coughs. tractor itself has been very reliable, no trouble and is well able bale etc
    have a bigger kubota tractor and the lock is much better, you can even hit a button if in a really tight corner and it makes the front wheel rotate quicker so you can turn it really tight.

Thanks vanderbadger

I'll have a look at the Dyna 4 gerbox so. But the major brands are pricey!!! Thats why I'll be giving Zetor a chance & Deutz - seem good value. How do you find the Kubtoa for general work etc. A neighbour has a 90hp one and he finds it great - very econimcal he says!!!

very happy with it, ya also find it very good on fuel,better than massey. very simple tractor to operate and i really like the gears, just plus and minus up thru them..would think they are a better option than the zetors and you can get the 0% finance deal on them which is good i think..they dont look as heavy as the main brands is the only thing about them. the girlfriends dad has the 90 hp ver, jees its the tidest tractor you have ever seen, he has a loader on it now so it must be handy about the yard but i havent used it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

After re-considering a 6330Premium would be ideal as I dont really need the 125hp power.

Really just pulling dump trailers or going for loasds of straw / Bales of silage.

I have a Zetor 8441 Proxima with loader and it struggles up not very big hills when pulling a load of say 20 bales.

I have my eye on a john deere.. I havnt been to a dealer yet and really doinh homework at the mo.

Reliability?

More importantly Cost?:rolleyes:
    Howd u find the zetor on juice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

pajero12 wrote: »
    Surely a premium would be easier sold?

Not once they reach a particular age I would imagine.

The Zetor is not bad on juice. But I have nothing to compare it to.

The previous stars of the yard inlude:

1970's David Brown
    1960's Leyland
    :D

Has anyone any idea on Cost of new 6330?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Hi Shnondore

Dont know how much a new one is but here are 09 and 10 models both asking for €46000

10 Standard
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1344966

or

09 Premium

I've a MF 5455 snoopy nose with loader and its brill for me but might be a little underpowered for you. Its the power shuttle model (not dyna) and its great for loader work but the turning circle isnt great.

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Hi Shnondore

Dont know how much a new one is but here are 09 and 10 models both asking for €46000

10 Standard

or

09 Premium

I've a MF 5455 snoopy nose with loader and its brill for me but might be a little underpowered for you. Its the power shuttle model (not dyna) and its great for loader work but the turning circle isnt great.
    Same Link on Both there.. Whats the 5455 like for comfort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Sorry about that.

Here it is

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1769073

The 5455 is brill for comfort. Mine has A/C and the air seat. Noise level is great. You can be driving hard and very little outside noise. I once had to drive it 60 miles at night from main dealer and it was like driving a car. Bit slower though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

A new 6330 with soft drive factory fitted loader with multidock,3 spools,air seat,40k box,520 michelins and a battery cut out switch on the front step is 58k.6430 in the same spec is 60k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

A new 6330 with soft drive factory fitted loader with multidock,3 spools,air seat,40k box,520 michelins and a battery cut out switch on the front step is 58k.6430 in the same spec is 60k.

You a dealer or a purchaser?

You a dealer or a purchaser?

Neither:)
    The uncle is planning on buying one and I went to have a look with him when he was pricing around.That was November prices.He has an 08 A95 at the moment with a quicke loader and 750hrs,they were allowing him 30k for it so he's trying to sell it privately now before ordering.

Thanks for the info. A pet hate of mine is how difficult it is to find out what new tractors or machinery actually retail for. The Journal or Irish Farmers Monthly sometimes publish list prices, but they are usually grossly inflated to allow for trade-ins.

Fully agree,you'll never know the true price they are allowing you unless you get 2 prices,one with a trade in and one without.List price means nothing.Those prices there for the 63 an 64 are just in off the street as a straight deal,the dealer seemed to imply that the list price for the 63 with everything was near 61k but being that it was a straight deal he could knock the 3k off it straight away.Dealers are very wary of trade in's these days,they're thinking more of the resale value of the trade in more than the actual new sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fiatagri8090

Bought a new 6330 std last summer with jd 633 soft drive loader. 480s rear, 420s front, 16x16 power quad. Loader came with 8ft quicke bucket and hydraulic bale handler. Also had extra lights,passenger seat, glass sunroof etc. Got a 2 year mabufacturers guarantee. Cost of this was 58k against a trade in.

Have it nearly a year now and i would highly reccomend it.

Bought a new 6330 std last summer with jd 633 soft drive loader. 480s rear, 420s front, 16x16 power quad. Loader came with 8ft quicke bucket and hydraulic bale handler. Also had extra lights,passenger seat, glass sunroof etc. Got a 2 year mabufacturers guarantee. Cost of this was 58k against a trade in.

Ex Vat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 myoddsox

Hi myoddsox.

5400 series is Dyna 4
    6400 series is Dyna 6
    Massey as you know now own Sisu and will be installing all models with sisu in future. Some 6400 will still have perkins but may only be available in 6 cylinder so may be too long. The Dyna shift 4 or 6 you have all your functions ie clutch, up change, down changh and forward/reverse.
    I was going for a 5480 [sisu engine]

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fiatagri8090

Ex Vat?

inclusive of vat!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I assume these are both SE models and not Premium models??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

flat out how much juice will it burn per hour

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I assume these are both SE models and not Premium models??

They are indeed sorry I didn't mention that.

We were up at the FTMTA show today pricing and a most unhelpful shower of people I've ever found at the JD stand.None would give a price or even name a price other than list price.The spec that most of them were quoting for were comlete basic,down to even a mechanical seat.Walked out of the place in disgust at 12 o'clock.Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pjk22

i got a new 6330 standard with 633 loader back in 2009, not a spanner on it yet after 1300 hrs touch wood, much better than a disaster of a deutz agrotron 100 that it replaced, only 5 hp the differance in them on paper but it feels more like 55....!:)

They are indeed sorry I didn't mention that.

We were up at the FTMTA show today pricing and a most unhelpful shower of people I've ever found at the JD stand.None would give a price or even name a price other than list price.The spec that most of them were quoting for were comlete basic,down to even a mechanical seat.Walked out of the place in disgust at 12 o'clock.Never again.

bit strange, you would think they would be mad to do business, did you try any other brands?
    the jd garage in limerick are constantly advertising on clarefm these days for business so you would think they would all bethe same

pjk22 wrote: »
    i got a new 6330 standard with 633 loader back in 2009, not a spanner on it yet after 1300 hrs touch wood, much better than a disaster of a deutz agrotron 100 that it replaced, only 5 hp the differance in them on paper but it feels more like 55....!:)

Not so bad its doing the job..

Did it set you back much?

• Advertisement

the jd garage in limerick are constantly advertising on clarefm these days for business so you would think they would all bethe same

Apparently their backup service is excellent too. Plus, they couldn't care less where you bought the tractor if you go to them for repairs or warranty work. Once you're leaving money after you, it's all good. Unlike a Claas dealer in the South West who doesn't want to know if you didn't buy off him and Claas themselves couldn't care less either.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1889248
    3 year old and look at the rust on the lift arms and weight carrier. Say anything about quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pjk22

Not so bad its doing the job..

Did it set you back much?

not really sure as we traded the deutz in against it, but i would say it would of been about 65k euro if it had of been a straight deal,but remember the loader alone adds almost 10k to it, and that was almost two years ago so the prices are probabley up on that now.

the tractor does get it far share of complements from people which is always nice to hear, mostly about the noise of her and the shear power it has for a wee four cylinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

pajero12 wrote: »
    3 year old and look at the rust on the lift arms and weight carrier. Say anything about quality?

Not really.... It is surface rust where the paint would have been knocked off from using the lift arms and taking on and off weights.

bit strange, you would think they would be mad to do business, did you try any other brands?

You'd have thought that alright:),it was the first time I was at that show and had,wrongly,thought that there would be salesmen there willing to sell.We tried 3 others,MF for the 3645/5435/5445,Landini for the 5H 100 and 110 and Valtra for the A95.Agco had the best setup IMO,salemen that could sell and finance people available to chat.
    JD had 10 buffoons walking around that were on you like a hot snot if you stood beside the tractor but couldn't even tell you the spec of a supplied tractor,their dealer network had supplied a person to represent each dealer from different parts of the country but most of them couldnt be found.We got talking to Oisin Hanlon from rhe Dundalk dealers after the 3rd time calling to the stand and while he was very good on the prices of the 6000 series,the 5000 series he never sold one so didnt know prices which is fair enough.
    Landini were laughable,we went up to the stand and looked around the tractor.Had to go and seek someone for Landini,not much talking at all outta him.Their prices were all done up on a lovely A4 sheet,each price was roughly 4.5k dearer than rough prices we got off O'Briens before any haggling would start.:)

All in all an experience not to be forgotten ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 deerekane

most of the JD lads at that stand are representing different areas within JD like ams, loaders, tractors , technical side , they wouldnt be a able to give you exact prices...we had a stand there and he had people coming to us looking for prices on different models who would know that we are JDdealers. Usually representives from the all the jd garages would go to the jd stand throughout the the three days.We have a couple of 6430 standards out some with tls (front suspension) and there a very good non complicated , not bombarded with electonics .

• Registered Users Posts: 27 deerekane

Got a 2 year mabufacturers guarantee.
    You get 1 years warranty on hole tractor and 2 years on the basic engine block
    unless you purchase exta warranty in the form of JD's powerguard protection which is an additional percentage cost depending on how many hours or years you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

just buy a valtra job done 4 life:D

just buy a valtra job done 4 life:D

Which Valtra have you Beretta do you mind me asking?Any problems at all with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mickpbarry

Lad, I know what you're going through. The thing about JD's is that everyone knows someone who's had a bad experience, and all the other dealers like to talk these up. But the reality is that any make/model can give trouble. If you can stretch to new, at least you'd have comfort in the warranty.

I bought a new 6330 in 2009, just the standard one. It pulls a 3-sod reversible no bother at all, works a 4m mf 30 drill, has a decent spec, all 110 horses are available. Pulls 10-tonne of grain to the merchant in each trailer, spreads dung out of a 7.5 yard spreader in 540 economy (huge saving in diesel!).

She's hard on diesel when flat out with the mower though. But that's because it's a standard version.

The difference between standard and premium is the valves, and the engine management. The standard has the 2-valve engine, and suits me great during the winter for the cattle. During the winter she spends a fair amount of time just ticking over, or on light duties. The Standard version uses much less diesel in this case. However, when out mowing, the premium model would give you better return. So you just need to consider which kind of driving you'll be at.

You also need to consider who's driving it. For example, most functions on the Standard are manually controlled, but on the premium, all the spots, pto settings, etc. are managed via the touch screen console. I know my auld lad would rather drive in the dark than figure out how to turn the spots on with a touch screen.

And then there's the premium price, expect to pay up to 4 - 4.5 k more for a premium model, on the lower end of the 6030 series, i.e. 6130 - 6430.

I've had absolutely no trouble with mine and she now has 1000 hours up on her. I also bought a service contract at the time, approx 1 euro per hour + VAT. All I have to do is call the dealer and he comes out and services for me, bought a 1500 hr contract. No additional labour/oil costs.

Also, in terms of price, I found JD to be very competitive. To be realistic, and this is no disrespect to other brands, but if re-sale value matters to you, then there are really only 3 makes to consider, JD, New Holland and Massey. I priced a 5445 and a New Holland 5040 against the JD, and the JD was cheaper than both. I traded in a 04 McCormick CX105 against it. So don't be fooled by what others say, it's the dealer, not the brand, that's usually expensive. Go and get a realistic price for yourself, but be serious when you're out with the dealers, they can tell when you're only half interested, and so you'll never get follow up from them.

And just for info, neighbour has a 5445, and I drove it to see what they are like. Very noise in-cab in comparison to the JD or the New Holland.

Any questions about the JD, just ask. But I've found the 6330 to be great, suits my operation to a tee, didn't need anymore than the 110 horses, otherwise I would have gone for the 6430.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kilmac1

ive been driving tractors since i was 9 years old and driven everything from a Universals, New holland t7060's and john deere 2140 with a dumper and a 6910 with a dumper and have done a bita wrecking as you do and john deere cost a fortune to repair. newer john deeres dont seem to have much traction but they have very good pto power as mick said.But thats only my opinion on them.

Which Valtra have you Beretta do you mind me asking?Any problems at all with it?

ah i just work as a mechanic 4 a valtra dealer seen them all gr8 tractor to take hardship

ah i just work as a mechanic 4 a valtra dealer seen them all gr8 tractor to take hardship

Seen any A95's with burst oil cooler's or T130's with leaking half axles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 david1992

Any 30 series john deere is a good job either se or premium. are kinda hard on juice but have good resale value, good dealer network, good reliability and are good loader tractors (6230-6430). They have plenty of power and are comfortable ta drive.

Seen any A95's with burst oil cooler's or T130's with leaking half axles?

oil coolers no ,half axels what year t 130seal in axel or in the hub

• Advertisement
Advertisement