Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace running for election?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Just catching the end of Vincent Browne on TV3 - Mick Wallace is one of the guests and, as far as I can determine, he's declared that he's running for the Dáil. Anyone confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Ya he confimed he is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭calf

Yes he is going to run in wexford

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I hope he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If he gets declared bankrupt he can't run, just saying.

Hope that doesn't happen - not just because he's one of the few decent candidates in Wexford, but because he's one of the few plain-speaking people who's been commenting on our economic situation for the last few years. And he looks like a bit of a daw (sorry Mick) but he's proven that he's anything but. And his philosophy of "work hard, play hard" is what's going to get Ireland to where it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, I deleted my post as the question was answered, that's all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hope that doesn't happen - not just because he's one of the few decent candidates in Wexford, but because he's one of the few plain-speaking people who's been commenting on our economic situation for the last few years. And he looks like a bit of a daw (sorry Mick) but he's proven that he's anything but. And his philosophy of "work hard, play hard" is what's going to get Ireland to where it should be.

Well said +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

He'll be extremely transfer friendly and eat into Connick's vote.

I'd guess D'arcy,Howlin,Browne,Kehoe,Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

He came across fairly well last night on the programme, although I have to say I thought Nora Owen and Terri Prone were quite condescending towards him - if a man commented on what a woman was wearing and made remarks about her hair on a political programme there'd be all out war. I'd love to see him make it even if only to shake it up a bit in Leinster House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I presume he will be running as an independent so maybe I will vote after all. I see the Greens have produced their usual candidate - Danny Forde - who is invisible from one end of the year to the next. See his 'amazing' profile here: http://www.greenparty.ie/people/danny_forde It would almost make me want to stand as an Independent Green. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd love to see a debate somewhere with all the candidates form Wexford on the one stage. I'd say the others would sh!t themselves as to what Mick might say about their part in traditional politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Fair Play to him !!!

(no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Who was the wan sitting between mick and Vincent? I thought her behavior towards mick was very bad form. Trying to take the piss out of him clearly and make him look stupid, but in a nice Haha way to cover it up. Gowl

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

jesus, might actually vote for him, had just made up my mind and all,ddoooh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Very happy to see this happening. I'd imagine he will do very well on transfer votes since he seems to be the only real independent with a chance in Co.Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Mick is really going to shake things up in Wexford!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Don't think he'll make much of a difference, and when did he actually make his decision to run? He didn't have any substance whatsoever answering questions and wasn't very comfortable either.

I'm sure all the Wexford Youths fans and floating voters (panicking but now relieved there's someone they can actually vote for) will give him a vote because they recognise him/know him personally though, so he'll probably do alright for himself.

But there's something a bit wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 challenges

I am not familar with Micks stance on a lot of issues....the economy in general, bondholders, section 23 tax relief abolition etc...anyone like to fill me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

challenges wrote: »
    I am not familar with Micks stance on a lot of issues....the economy in general, bondholders, section 23 tax relief abolition etc...anyone like to fill me in?

Also like to know, I think he feels that the bondholders should be told to buzz off, from what I gathered last night.

He says he's 'doin' up a few leaflets now this week', so I suppose we'll have to wait until then.

I won't be blindly voting for him based on his name, or building or wexford sporting reputation alone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MrsJohnMurphy

I saw this talk from him posted on politics.ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiU8qWxsbOw&feature=player_embedded#

Some interesting stuff that lets you know where he is coming from!

mjm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

Get him some frizz ease and he just might walk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

I saw this talk from him posted on politics.ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiU8qWxsbOw&feature=player_embedded#

Some interesting stuff that lets you know where he is coming from!

mjm

Wallace's second hand philosophy and psuedo anti-establishment rhetoric is tiresome. He says "real change isn't going to come about unless we do something dramatic". What does he mean? He didn't elaborate! Maybe a dramatic departure on his part is to become "establishment", although in effect he may already be there.
    Just how radical is he? Complaining about the establishment, and trying to convince everyone that he's not part of it..........so what? Say something original, something daring. I'll vote for him, but he's got to be genuinely different and dynamic. I don't care anymore about what the ****ing banks did or didn't do...........or the crap we are in because of Fianna Fail. Say something original Mick!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

does the ff in your name stand for fianna fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

k4kate wrote: »
    does the ff in your name stand for fianna fail?

no, it stands for Frango Frito........doh.

As long as it is not Frustrated Functionary

Even though he only got added yesterday to http://www.boards.ie/vote he is already up to second.

Looking down a list of the opposition it is hardly surprising.
    Thanks for that. Will cast my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I am delighted he's running. Up to now I was undecided. He'll get my #1 - like the way he says what he believes, has some real life experience and no BS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 snooper

I thought the stage managed "oh really, your going to run as an independent?" was pathetic by Vincent Browne (who I rate highly in general)- and Mick Wallace went along with it....why did they have to pretend he just came out with it there and then and that the show didnt know it was going to happen?

Then from there I thought he lacked any meat on anything remotely a platform.

Can someone tell me why he is always referred to in such glowing terms in general? Just curious as I know nothing about him but over the years he's always been dubbed "straight talking" etc. and I fail to see what's so appealing.

For the record, not from the area, have zero political beliefs in general, and really dont care if he's voted in or out

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

He might say "eeeemmmm" about a million times to much, but he will get my vote...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiU8qWxsbOw

• Advertisement

snooper wrote: »
    I thought the stage managed "oh really, your going to run as an independent?" was pathetic by Vincent Browne (who I rate highly in general)- and Mick Wallace went along with it....why did they have to pretend he just came out with it there and then and that the show didnt know it was going to happen?

Then from there I thought he lacked any meat on anything remotely a platform.

Can someone tell me why he is always referred to in such glowing terms in general? Just curious as I know nothing about him but over the years he's always been dubbed "straight talking" etc. and I fail to see what's so appealing.

For the record, not from the area, have zero political beliefs in general, and really dont care if he's voted in or out

The Gorey Guardian reported today that he finally decided to run when he was on his way out into the studio. If that's true or not I don't know but I could well believe it, none of his answers seemed rehearsed. If they had of been I would have expected them to be more polished and honestly a little better prepared.

As for why people like him I'm sure there is different reasons for different people but for me I like the fact that he is an intelligent well educated man who doesn't waffle like most politicians and the fact that even though he is a business man and helping grow and support business is very important to him the rights of the people are also very high up there.

Not to mention the fact that most of his opposition in Co.Wexford are downright Lacklustre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement