Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace running for election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Given that there's nobody else worthy of a vote I may well come out and give Mick Wallace my one and only vote.

Some info about him here: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/38740?save_prefs=true

and here: http://www.dublinblogs.com/categories/mick-wallace/

and a thread on him at Politics.ie here: http://www.politics.ie/wexford/150949-mick-wallace-run-ge.html

Before you make up your mind open it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 challenges

I still havnt a clue what his beliefs are on a whole lot of stuff...landlords/ tax relief abolition/stimulating the property market etc! Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

Do you know the other candidates position on those issues? I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 snooper

The Gorey Guardian reported today that he finally decided to run when he was on his way out into the studio. If that's true or not I don't know but I could well believe it, none of his answers seemed rehearsed. If they had of been I would have expected them to be more polished and honestly a little better prepared.

As for why people like him I'm sure there is different reasons for different people but for me I like the fact that he is an intelligent well educated man who doesn't waffle like most politicians and the fact that even though he is a business man and helping grow and support business is very important to him the rights of the people are also very high up there.

Not to mention the fact that most of his opposition in Co.Wexford are downright Lacklustre.

Thanks smellslike!

Just thought it was funny that they had flashed up "Mick Wallace, Independent" prior to him announcing it 'out of the blue' and after they had spoken about independents in general, and then "Mick Wallace, Property Developer" later on (guess they got their graphics in the wrong order!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mick Wallace is one of the few or the only developer who said it like it was-before the property collapse he was on The Last Word and actually told the truth about building standards and what developers were up to,building shoebox apartments to maximise their income from a piece of land.The over reliance of Government on building to prop up and create a false economy.
    So long as he keeps telling it straight he gets my vote,he even built a county soccer team and pitch using his own finances and recognises how the county is forever being left behind.How many of our established politicians have made grand claims down through the years and we still end up with nothing.

• Advertisement

The people who are not convinced about Wallace: who in Wexford is a better choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The people who are not convinced about Wallace: who in Wexford is a better choice?

Maybe there is no better choice but this doesn't make Wallace better by default, it may be the case that he is on a par.

Nobody really knows, only time will tell.

All I'll say is that people need to make decisions based on the what the head is telling them, not the heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ink Tonic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ceit

The man has proven himself - he's not afraid to stand up and say it like it is. He believes in democracy -true democracy, not the lucky bag democracy that's been spewed up to us since the beginning of the state. He puts principles before money, and he cares about people. He's under no illusions about the privileges he has had, but still can see the poverty around him, and that's what's wrong with our politicians - most of them have so much money they haven't a clue what they're putting the nation through. At least the Shinners only get an average industrial wage - pity they don't have more credible candidates.
    Anyway, Wallace Abú!!! No. 1 all the way

Random Thought of the Day:

Is it just me or does anyone get suspicious when we have posters who joined on or after the day this thread started propping up Wallace's election campaign?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, never thought of that at all?
    Smart.
    (or are you just suspicious by nature)

I'd say "educated guess" to be honest.

When you become accustomed to how forums work you can typically tell the difference between those who are in for the long run and those who sign up to make a very specific contribution to a very specific thread, typically with a very specific agenda... and then disappear.

Happens all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

k4kate wrote: »

bloody well said !!!!!!!

For any candidate associated with a political party you can typically go to their website and read about their policies... they typically all produce manifesto documents around this time.

Examples:

http://www.finegael2011.com/

http://www.labour.ie/policy/listing/

http://election.fiannafail.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

jpb1974 wrote: »
    For any candidate associated with a political party you can typically go to their website and read about their policies... they typically all produce manifesto documents around this time.

Examples:

http://www.finegael2011.com/

http://www.labour.ie/policy/listing/

http://election.fiannafail.ie/

Problem with the political parties is that they say (and write) a lot of stuff that might seem great but its often meaningless drivel, recited without any emotion or interest in what the speaker's saying. That's what I personally like about Mick Wallace - he seems genuine, interested and he's not just reciting some party line. He's thought about it and he means what he says.

EDIT: And I've been posting on Boards for 6 1/2 years, so hopefully I'm entitled to express an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I'll be voting Mick Wallace Number 1 come election day. The other people I voted in during the previous elections were useless, and not alone did they not do anything for me, but I didn't see them doing anything for anyone else. All the politicians are useless in this county. Sitting in their offices getting big fat pay cheques and promising people loads of stuff when they canvass, and not backing any of it up. I'll do better in the Dail myself.

Mick will bring something to the table, he's a good man. I know he'd do anything to help people aswell if they ever needed it.

I hope someone does something about all the drunks on Vinegar Hill, and all the dirt they throw around the place, and the Slaney is awful dirty and a disgrace to the county. I hope Mick builds something on the grounds of the old mill in Enniscorthy too. It looks rotten as you enter the town.

I'm just not buying the Wallace thing at all (in so far as the glamour factor and sound bites are concerned).

Now... I wish him all the best but the way I see it people will bend their ear to listen to anyone who is saying all the right things (and that wouldn't be hard given the current climate) and is a well known, popular figure in the county.

I think any popular figure in the county could get a lot of people on the band wagon if they put their name in the hat and start saying all the right things.

I respect Independent candidates but lets face it... they have very little say at a national level. A lot of them hopped into bed with the last Government and voted in favour of a lot of the decisions that were made on the back of a few agreements to support initiatives in their own constituencies.

I'd be curious - If voted. is Mick Wallace going to take up politics on a full time basis?

To re-iterate - I wish Mick Wallace all the best, but from my perspective politics is more than skin deep. Too many people are ruling with the heart in this election... Fianna Gael and Labour will form the next Government almost by default... and whilst a lot of them are talking about 'real change' I'll happily take my nuts off the fence when I see it instead of hear it.

That's not to say MW won't do well if he were elected... as I said in an earlier post 'only time will tell'. I just hope that he doesn't end up as Wexford's version of George Lee.

Just wondering: Has he published anything yet that outlines his political viewpoints? I'd like to take a look and see what he's about.

Purely at a local level - At the very least I'd be looking for the candidates that were out backing the people when it came to issues such as the cut back in services at Wexford Hospital, the protests in relation to SNAs being cut in St. Senan's National school and others.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I won't vote for an independent who's campaign is based on the usual lets fix potholes,put the little man 1st spiel.A lot of these failed at Council level and never seem to get anything done but have lofty ambitions.
    I'm willing to give Mick Wallace the benefit of the doubt as he seems more intelligent than a lot of the other 'pretenders' and was willing to put his money where his mouth was.
    For too long this county has been left behind-we even missed out on the boom years,you can see where development went around the country and the work of various TD's.We need somebody who is focused on what's best for the county and Wallace has always been outspoken about this.
    Even if he isn't the Messiah of Wexford he surely can't be any worse than what else is out there?
    I'm sick of grand claims and the following inaction of politicians so some new blood and ideas would be welcome.
    Oh,and Mick if you're reading this thread I want the Enniscorthy Bypass started asap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Firstly, I'm Youths Till I Die, but I'm not sure yet if I will give Mick my 1st preference. I have an agenda, personally, of who I would like in and if it helps the cause, I'll use him tactically in my voting.

The man is (infuriatingly at times) unique, but I do believe him to be genuine in his beliefs and an honest individual.

I see his most valuable contribution over the coming weeks as being able to expose some of the other candidates as spoofers, gombeens and wafflers. If he can do that, he will have done the County an immense service, even if he doesn't get in himself

Forza Youths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

He's launched a website - www.MickWallace.net

And just in case it's of interest, I will be giving Mick my no. 1 vote!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

He's launched a website - www.MickWallace.net

And just in case it's of interest, I will be giving Mick my no. 1 vote!
    Typical Mick, his literature has .ie as the website address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Hi, I'm the sister of the user Tirabaralla.
    I worked for Wallace for 2 years and i can say that i know him pretty well.
    He may belive in democracy but he definitely does not apply democracy.
    The only reason why he's not giving away any details on his program is because he doesn't know what he is doing, and not cause he doesn't want to make promeses that he can't mantain.
    And the only reason because he is in politic now is because he has 40.000 euro debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hi, I'm the sister of the user Tirabaralla.
    I worked for Wallace for 2 years and i can say that i know him pretty well.
    He may belive in democracy but he definitely does not apply democracy.

What's that mean? You worked for him, what did you expect him to do ask for a show of hands on what way he should run his company?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Mick says.........

"We need political reform to bring a new politics, an end to political donations......., a smaller Dáil with accountability and transparency , ...............a decent State Health System, ...........a greater emphasises on education ........................, an end to expenses and pension abuse, ............and real local Government that works."

isn't this what they all say.........and don't we all know it already. Wallace portrays himself as having a mind of his own, but he's yet to show much imagination. If he gets elected on the basis of his well cultivated image, that'd be a pity.

What's that mean? You worked for him, what did you expect him to do ask for a show of hands on what way he should run his company?

No, I mean that he didn't give breaks when you had a 8 h shift, he didn't pay u for a week or 2, he didn't listen to u when u had problems to discuss.
    Is this democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

No, I mean that he didn't give breaks when you had a 8 h shift, he didn't pay u for a week or 2, he didn't listen to u when u had problems to discuss.
    Is this democracy?

I think you need to look up the definition of democracy because what you are describing has nothing to do with democracy or lack of it.

true is not the definition of democracy, but it what is intended for democracy.
    Being italian is not always easy to be perfectly correct, sorry.

If you have a gripe about your employment conditions, there are processes that you can go through, up to and including filing for constructive dismissal. Citizens Advice centres can help you with this.

However, going on an internet forum under an anonymous username belonging to someone else is hardly a good way to get anywhere.

I did all of that and didn't want to get anywhere, just express my opinion.
    I think this is what the forum is for.

• Advertisement

Well taking your word at face value I guess we can agree that that would be no way to treat an employee.

There are two sides to every story though so its difficult to decide from hearing just part of one side whether its something that should let people affect their judgement of the other side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement