Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace running for election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

effemall wrote: »
    Just curious but any of you close to Mick Wallace know why he drives a left hand drive jeep (hes not eastern european is he?)
    Pretty obviously really, he brings it to Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

oldyouth wrote: »
    Pretty obviously really, he brings it to Italy

ahha thank you old youth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ceit

Go on to Youtube and look up Mick Wallace - he's taken the time to make a series of videos to explain his philosophy and deal with questions he has been asked. It's a no-brainer really - it will take time but if we don't take the first step on the road to change, we'll never make the journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Wexford1798

Ceit wrote: »
    Go on to Youtube and look up Mick Wallace - he's taken the time to make a series of videos to explain his philosophy and deal with questions he has been asked. It's a no-brainer really - it will take time but if we don't take the first step on the road to change, we'll never make the journey

Or just watch the videos here.
    Will Mick Wallace wear a pink suit to the Dáil? All is revealed and answers to more serious questions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

I moved to Enniscorthy 2 years ago and I'm still undecided about who to vote for on Friday. My issue with Mick is that I don't think it's right for a property developer with a debt of €40m entering the Dáil. If he is declared bankrupt he will have to leave office. I think he has great spirit and determination but will he turn into another Healy Rae or Lowry and potentially hold the government (assuming FG/Independents) to ransom over local issues?
    My poor car would probably have a better chance driving on the moon than some of the roads in the county but I think I would rather have someone with more economic & political experience to turn things around.
    Good luck to him!

• Advertisement

Currahee01 wrote: »
    I moved to Enniscorthy 2 years ago and I'm still undecided about who to vote for on Friday. My issue with Mick is that I don't think it's right for a property developer with a debt of €40m entering the Dáil. If he is declared bankrupt he will have to leave office. I think he has great spirit and determination but will he turn into another Healy Rae or Lowry and potentially hold the government (assuming FG/Independents) to ransom over local issues?
    My poor car would probably have a better chance driving on the moon than some of the roads in the county but I think I would rather have someone with more economic & political experience to turn things around.
    Good luck to him!

The kind of economic and political experience that got us in to this situation? If you give the second video a glance, all the questions you have raised are addressed. I appreciate your goodwill towards Mick. If you cannot give a Number 1, please give a No 2! Mick will not go bankrupt. That is a scurrilous rumor spread on the doorsteps by some canvassers

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

The kind of economic and political experience that got us in to this situation?
    Nope I wont be voting FF.
    Mick will not go bankrupt. That is a scurrilous rumor spread on the doorsteps by some canvassers
    He said it himself...
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/builder-in-poll-race-has-euro40m-debts-2527520.html

Paddy Power have him at 2/5 to get the fourth seat, personally I think it'll be FGx2, Lx2 & FFx1 but as I said before best of luck to Mick.

I understand everyones concern about the long term agenda from Mick. I've known him for a while now and he genuinely is an honest guy who will follow through on what he believes in. Make no mistake on that

However, I know what I want to achieve out of this election and that is a FG majority. I will be giving Mick a vote down the ballot paper but this is about National politics, not local, and I think FG are the best of a bad lot

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Currahee01 wrote: »
    I think he has great spirit and determination but will he turn into another Healy Rae or Lowry and potentially hold the government (assuming FG/Independents) to ransom over local issues?

But for Wallace, or any Independent, to have any real voice surely they must have a pivotal role and be a Healy Rae or Lowry or Tony Gregory ? I'm not saying it's right btw but if FF and Labour make up government with 100 seats, for example, what influence is an independent going to have?

• Advertisement

Squiggle wrote: »
    But for Wallace, or any Independent, to have any real voice surely they must have a pivotal role and be a Healy Rae or Lowry or Tony Gregory ? I'm not saying it's right btw but [/HTML]if FF and Labour make up government with 100 seats, for example, what influence is an independent going to have?
    [HTML]]

what influence is a party with 60 seats going to have

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

However, I know what I want to achieve out of this election and that is a FG majority. I will be giving Mick a vote down the ballot paper but this is about National politics, not local, and I think FG are the best of a bad lot

Have to agree with you here oldyouth. Its country first for this election.

Would be great to see no FF'ers returned in Wexford and for there to be 3FG, 1Lab, 1Ind

However its hard to see this happening.

I understand everyones concern about the long term agenda from Mick. I've known him for a while now and he genuinely is an honest guy who will follow through on what he believes in. Make no mistake on that

Exactly, this is about National politics, not local! This is the platform on which Mick Wallace is standing. He is not going to be a gombeen FF/FG TD who interferes in local government pretending to get medical cards for people and filling potholes.

This country is a complete shambles because we have been failed by our government and completely let down by the opposition. Did FG and LAB shout 'stop' when FF was giving all the TD's pay rises?
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/john-drennan/john-drennan-divided-dail-unites-to-give-itself-a-pay-rise-2410792.html

I am voting for Mick Wallace because I know he will be a man who will stand up in the Dáil and be counted. He is someone with a social conscience, who will be an important voice in Dáil Éireann on issues of national importance - Health Care, Education, Job Creation, Bondholders, and Reform of Local Government. Mick Wallace is a person I can trust on an issue such as the proposed selling of our state forests to foreigners. 'Braveheart' would not let that happen!

During the boom years, the opposition stood idly by as FF policies pillaged the country. In many cases, it was FG/LAB led councils that made the worst rezoning decisions. FG/LAB led local councils since 2004 helped to create many of the ghost estates. This is why I do not trust FG/LAB politicians to lead ‘change’ in this country.

This is most important election in decades; we must seize this opportunity for real change. That is why I am voting for Mick Wallace. I believe he is a man who will work with energy and integrity for the good of the nation. What is good for Ireland is good for Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

This is most important election in decades; we must seize this opportunity for real change. That is why I am voting for Mick Wallace. I believe he is a man who will work with energy and integrity for the good of the nation. What is good for Ireland is good for Wexford.

I really think you're misguided here Wex1798. Yes this is the most important election (possibly in the history of the state) and hence we need to elect those who will be able to contribute from within and not those that are talking to themselves outside the tent.

Wallace can have all the good intentions in the world but it'll get the country and Wexford nowhere as he wont be close to the levers of power.

Some facts:

- FG and Labour will be in government (bar a massive surprise on Sat).
    - Twomey and possibly Howlin will be the representatives from Wexford most likely to have any impact on the policy to shape our (Irelands and Wexfords) future.
    - Wallace and other independents will not feature in any decision making.

Voting independent in this election is a waste of a vote and a missed opportunity for Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Whatever about Howlin getting a cabinet post, I can't see anywhere for Toomey (assuming he scrapes in) but perhaps he could make the tea.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

theforum wrote: »
    Voting independent in this election is a waste of a vote and a missed opportunity for Wexford.

we all want change, even the FG posters are claiming that, Wallace bucks the trend and a different civil war party in charge is not what i'd call change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wexxford

Whatever about Howlin getting a cabinet post, I can't see anywhere for Toomey (assuming he scrapes in) but perhaps he could make the tea.:rolleyes:

Don't forget Twomey was in health in 2007 and then when elected to the seanad he was put straight into finance.....the man is versatile and could easily be put into a different department in govt. He is also close to Enda which can't do his chances any harm. Howlin imo doesn't have a chance of a ministerial post this time round for a number of reasons...1)he is no longer that close to the leadership of the party, 2) Labour, if required as a coalition partner will be the junior member therefore fewer ministerial posts. He could very well be offered ceann comhairle which has less power than a back bench opposition TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ceit

Hi 1798, there's a third video on Jobs and Economy, maybe you could put that up too - I don't know how :rolleyes:
    it's all to play for now anyway - if people want real change, they'll do the right thing and vote for Mick. If they're happy with the way the country is going down the tubes, let em carry on the way we are

Ceit wrote: »
    Hi 1798, there's a third video on Jobs and Economy, maybe you could put that up too - I don't know how :rolleyes:
    it's all to play for now anyway - if people want real change, they'll do the right thing and vote for Mick. If they're happy with the way the country is going down the tubes, let em carry on the way we are

Ceit here is the video for you.

1. Bankruptcy: Some people on this thread have insinuated that Mick will go bankrupt. This is not the case. Mick answers this question at 3min 20 secs on the video.
    Mick Wallace would not be able to register as a candidate if he did not have a tax clearance certificate.

2. Political Donations: @ 1min 50 secs on the video Mick declares that he has refused numerous political donations for this election. Other parties could learn from Mick's principled stand.

With Mick Wallace, what you see is what you get. Others talk the talk. Wexford knows that Mick Wallace walks the walk.

Another Video on Jobs and Benefits.

Best of luck tomorrow Mick. Youve got my number one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Twomey would get a minister position ( possibly not cabinet yet) he has the ear of Kenny and very publicly backed him during brutons putsch.

Wallace would be on his own, not sure I he could be effective but a great guy for Wexford none the less.

The man had very important business to attend to tonight in the dugout at Ferrycarrig Park helping the Youths defeat Drogheda.

He told me that football was the distraction from 'the real job'. I think he may do it you know, he seemed confident

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Positive reaction from Micks facebook page anyway. RTE reporting 15% exit poll for him, which could be enough to get in on the first count. I thought he would make it, but didnt expect him to be so high. fair play if it works for him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

Is it a pro-Wallace vote or an anti-establishment one?

I voted for him but my reason was the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

k4kate wrote: »
    Is it a pro-Wallace vote or an anti-establishment one?

I voted for him but my reason was the latter.

same as that.

watching J. Browne celebrating getting elected was stomach churning. No humility, no class, and no consequences for being a waste of space.

Congratulations to Mick Wallace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Feeling pissed off with any of the election results? Have a look at this You Tube video and if it doesn't make you laugh you should check your pulse as you may be dead. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Not my constituency but congrats to everyone who voted for Mick Wallace.

Ireland's only classy developer and a huge addition to the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

doomed wrote: »
    Not my constituency but congrats to everyone who voted for Mick Wallace.

Ireland's only classy developer and a huge addition to the Dail.

I think it is a little early to be making judgements like that. Lets see how he performs first before we describe him as 'a huge addition to the dail'.

wexfordia wrote: »
    I think it is a little early to be making judgements like that. Lets see how he performs first before we describe him as 'a huge addition to the dail'.

Maybe hes wexfords version of Jackie Healey Rae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

effemall wrote: »
    Maybe hes wexfords version of Jackie Healey Rae

hmmm........he'd need to be subjected to several sessions of Electric Shock Therapy to begin with............followed by a romantic liason with a mountain sheep...........and finally a 3 day immersion in a bath of whiskey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement