Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Devon

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

So with the new season fast approaching, and me being a recent blow-in, I wanted to get behind a LoI team. Living in Salthill, I figure that Salthill Devon are the team to support.

Are they any good? Any SD fans out there? Or should I just go with Galway United?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

markesmith wrote: »
    So with the new season fast approaching, and me being a recent blow-in, I wanted to get behind a LoI team. Living in Salthill, I figure that Salthill Devon are the team to support.

Are they any good? Any SD fans out there? Or should I just go with Galway United?

Stick with Galway United 99 euro for a season ticket its hard to beat that for value.

Salthill are based out in the sticks so you will probably find it much easier to get to terryland for a match than Drom for a Devon match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Stick with Galway United 99 euro for a season ticket its hard to beat that for value.

Salthill are based out in the sticks so you will probably find it much easier to get to terryland for a match than Drom for a Devon match.

You'll need an off-road machine to get up there with the state of the roads !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Don't Salthill Devon play miles out in Rahoon somewhere? Miles away from Salthill at least, you're probably nearer to Terryland!

They're playing Sligo Rovers tomorrow though if you wanna check em out. Rovers tend to bring a pretty good crowd so should be decent craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Yeah, I'm going to tip out that far to watch it. Brought them to glory in Football Manager 11, so got a bit of a soft spot for them.

Is the Drom really that far from Salthill? Do you all reckon I should just support Galway Utd?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is the Drom really that far from Salthill? Do you all reckon I should just support Galway Utd?
    If you drive then it's not that far. I'd say less than 15 minutes depending on whereabouts in Salthill you are. There's a map showing the location here.

• Advertisement

Would make as much sense as me supporting West United.

Devon(and Mervue) are a glorified Junior team, they have no support because 3/4 years ago they were a junior club.
    In time when the bigger towns like Tullamore etc... get their house in order both clubs with drop back out of the LOI.

You just can't make it on a national level without a support base behind you and considering Galway already had a long established county the team there was never a need for anyone to attend their games bar club members from their junior days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

They're not as far out as people are making it out to be, from Salthill it's about 10-15 mins depending on how fast you drive. They won't get many wins though, last season they stayed up by the skins of their teeth. Although all Galway clubs (Mervue, SDFC & GUFC) will be relegation candidates this season I reckon.

THFC wrote: »
    They're not as far out as people are making it out to be, from Salthill it's about 10-15 mins depending on how fast you drive.

Got there before you :)
    Malice wrote: »
    If you drive then it's not that far. I'd say less than 15 minutes depending on whereabouts in Salthill you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

They're not actually based in Salthill. They don't really have any fans. The only times they get crowds over 50 or so is when someone like Shels or Derry bring a decent away support.

I'd say you'd be much better off going with Galway United. Premier Division football, fans, much better ground with two stands. There's a great deal going on season tickets at the moment too. €99 works out at less than a fiver per match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Whats the best way to get to Drom without a car? Want to head out to the Rovers match today but can't find a lift.

• Advertisement

Whats the best way to get to Drom without a car? Want to head out to the Rovers match today but can't find a lift.

Walk..... that's it tbh. You either have a car or ya walk.

There aren't many alternatives. It's not served by any buses as far as I know so besides walking or getting a taxi I'm not sure what else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

any1 interested in sport should go up at least once this season for a look,cant beat live sport,access not ideal but it would be nice for the club to see new faces up there,last time i went up there was tea/coffee etc indoors and a balcony to watch the match from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm reasonably sure that both Terryland Park and Mervue United's pitch, Fahy's Field, are closer to Salthill than Drom.

It's great to see someone getting an interest in their local team, whoever it is they pick.

I am completely biased, but trying to look at it from a neutral perspective, I think Galway United would be the pick of the three to watch.

There is quite a gap between LOI First Division football and the junior leagues. Similarly, there is quite a gap between the First Division and the LOI Premier.

There are some great things happening behind the scenes now at United and the hope is to begin reversing the damage done in the last few years by certain individuals.

Season tickets can be bought for just €99, with accompanied u12's admitted free of charge. A special rate for secondary school tickets is price at €59.

Mervue and Salthill are great clubs in their own right and deserve praise for how they run themselves, but in terms of the quality of football being played, no matter what shape Galway United are in, playing the premier you will get better football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I'm reasonably sure that both Terryland Park and Mervue United's pitch, Fahy's Field

Fahey's Field? I thought Mervue played at Terryland (in fact don't they own it and United pay them to play there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mervue are allowed use their own pitch this year - Fahey's Field

Galway and District League own Terryland Park

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Malice wrote: »
    There aren't many alternatives. It's not served by any buses as far as I know so besides walking or getting a taxi I'm not sure what else you can do.
    There's always the cycling option but parts of it are really tough (steep hills) ****ty, ****ty roads aside. That said I kind of liked cycling around there all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Fahey's Field? I thought Mervue played at Terryland (in fact don't they own it and United pay them to play there?)

Mervue played at Terryland for the last two seasons (since they got into the LOI) because their own ground Fahy's Field wasn't up to the required standard to get a LOI license. They're going back to Fahy's Field for the upcoming season.

Galway and District League own Terryland Park. United pay rent and Mervue paid rent to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whats the best way to get to Drom without a car?

Taxi :mad:

ciotog wrote: »
    There's always the cycling option but parts of it are really tough (steep hills) ****ty, ****ty roads aside. That said I kind of liked cycling around there all the same.
    You are asking to be hit by a car cycling anywhere in that area.

Morons with big cars that think it's the autobahn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

You are asking to be hit by a car cycling anywhere in that area.

Morons with big cars that think it's the autobahn.
    There's an element of that attitude alright, I know I had close ones with cars along that way. However, I'm not willing to cede the road to a small number of reckless drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Bump.

First Galway Derby of the season tomorrow. Hope to see Salthill win

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

And hopefully the last in the LOI

Apparently there was an article before the season started in which Tony Mannion more or less said that he himself thought the current situation was daft. If indeed the FAI follow through with the plans of one club for 2014 (a deadline for which seems to be put back whenever it draws near), why then are Salthill or indeed Mervue doing wasting their time with the First Division this season when the FAI themselves say there will be no place for them?

I didn't see it myself so I don't know the exact wording.

Advertisement