Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Early Years??

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Is there a masters in Early Years anywhere in this country? I've been searching for ages now and cannot find one. Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What is Early Years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Very Young Learners, under 7 or so I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brandiechops

It's Early Years education, studying children from birth to six years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It's Early Years education, studying children from birth to six years of age.

What exactly is it you are looking for, because what I gather it is a bit vague. Are you wanting to study and acquire skills to improve your work teaching children under 7 or focus on the theory of it alone for psychology/medical purposes. There are special needs masters for young children, PGcerts in therapeutic skills which look at brain development and learning and there are courses in the OU on offer if that is any good. Maybe be a bit more specific an let us know what field you are coming from and where you intend going..

Early Years is a specific area, it is just very new in Ireland. I currently have a higher diploma in Montessori (3-6) and have been working in the sector for ten years. I also teach the Montessori Diploma Course in the evenings and I'm really enjoying that. The early years sector is about to get very professional with the requirement being a degree in Early childhood or early years as the minimum qualification for working in a facility. I would like to get my masters now and as more universities run degrees in early childhood, I would hope to get a job teaching on one of the courses. Sorry about the typos etc, I'm on my phone on a packed train.:o

• Advertisement

http://www.artspsychotherapy.org/courses/masters/ma-education-emotional-literacy.html

Might be worth considering? II know it is in the UK.i have done a course with the Child Centre for Mental Health in London, and they could point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ferent

Is there a masters in Early Years anywhere in this country? I've been searching for ages now and cannot find one. Thanks for your help :)

Hi- I know I'm coming into this thread a long time after you posted but it's worth a try! I'm thinking of getting into early years myself, did you get anywhere with locating a course? I'm a primary teacher and would like to do a masters in Early Years Education, found one in Mary-I in Limerick, but I'm near Dublin so would much prefer not to have to travel that far! I'm beginning to think it's the only one in the country though!

I'd really appreciate any advice seeing as you've been looking into this for longer than me!

ferent wrote: »
    Hi- I know I'm coming into this thread a long time after you posted but it's worth a try! I'm thinking of getting into early years myself, did you get anywhere with locating a course? I'm a primary teacher and would like to do a masters in Early Years Education, found one in Mary-I in Limerick, but I'm near Dublin so would much prefer not to have to travel that far! I'm beginning to think it's the only one in the country though!

I'd really appreciate any advice seeing as you've been looking into this for longer than me!

Is that not a four year BA course tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ferent

No, I think they do a BA also, but there's a 2 year masters for people with a primary teaching qualification, and 3 years teaching experience.
    Application deadline next week so I need to make up my mind!!!

ferent wrote: »

No, I think they do a BA also, but there's a 2 year masters for people with a primary teaching qualification, and 3 years teaching experience.
    Application deadline next week so I need to make up my mind!!!

Hi, sorry it's taken to sling to get back to you. In the end I went for the masters in edu in nuim and I start in September. I told them I was coming from an early years perspective and they seemed happy enough. What did you decide to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

What exactly is it you are looking for, because what I gather it is a bit vague. Are you wanting to study and acquire skills to improve your work teaching children under 7 or focus on the theory of it alone for psychology/medical purposes. There are special needs masters for young children, PGcerts in therapeutic skills which look at brain development and learning and there are courses in the OU on offer if that is any good. Maybe be a bit more specific an let us know what field you are coming from and where you intend going..

Some of the OU programmes at PG level, better if you area practitioner as most come from a continuing porfessional development angle, where you have to reflect on your sector and practice.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/childhood-and-youth/index.htm

Advertisement