Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Athlon II X4 640 quad core 3.0Ghz

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

What do you guys make of this chip? I'm not great with AMD.

And this graphics card----AMD Radeon HD6450 with 512mb of it's own memory?

Are they good enough for Full HD 1080p playback without being under pressure.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

To answer you question about the Athlon depends on what you intend on doing with it, it is a decent performer for those on a budget for gaming and the like :)

Even most integrated GPUs are fine for 1080p playback these days so if you are buying a motherboards as well you may not even need the 6450 if you choose wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

should be yea, but tbh you can get a phenom dual core for around the same price as that athlon quad core youll loose two cores but you gain a l3 cache

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

should be yea, but tbh you can get a phenom dual core for around the same price as that athlon quad core youll loose two cores but you gain a l3 cache

The extra cores are really of much more benefit though for anything capable of heavy multithreading. Even the X3s Athlons II lord it over the Phenom II x2 for the majority of common tasks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4048/amds-winter-update-athlon-ii-x3-455-phenom-ii-x2-565-and-phenom-ii-x6-1100t

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you guys make of this chip? I'm not great with AMD.

And this graphics card----AMD Radeon HD6450 with 512mb of it's own memory?

Are they good enough for Full HD 1080p playback without being under pressure.

Thanks.

I presume this is related to that pc that aldi or lidl are selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Looks like it. €500.

The X4 640 isn't bad. If it's for gaming, you'd need a bit more power in the graphics department. You could probably do better yourself with some carefully chosen parts.

To answer the question, it would handle 1080p no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Monotype wrote: »
    Looks like it. €500.

The X4 640 isn't bad. If it's for gaming, you'd need a bit more power in the graphics department. You could probably do better yourself with some carefully chosen parts.

To answer the question, it would handle 1080p no problem.
    *points towards Budget Gaming PC thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

It is, Im sick of looking aroung for a good priced computer in a Bricks and Mortar at this stage(Handy if somthing goes wrong). I think i'll just get it and be done with it.

if you want i can quickly spec you out a computer just need to know what you need it for =]

heres a slightly better one (faster ram and more video memory + high quality mob etc.) for €30 less than the mdion

abi90n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

attachment.php?attachmentid=146806&stc=1&d=1296998049

Here's my opinion of a solid build budget build. Now this will hit €550 if you want HWV to build it for you (€20) and shipping (€30).

Features:
    • A reliable PSU.
    • Good motherboard with USB 3, eSATA, Realtek audio and other stuff.
    • Nice case IMO, considering its features.
    • Graphics card that is actually in the zone of decent quality.

If I'm on a tighter budget, what can I cut straight off?
    Well, you could actually drop the graphics card altogether. This would still run videos at 1080p and be capable of running basic games (e.g source engine at ~720p) for about €460 built and delivered to your doorstep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement