Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new fusebox

Options
  • 05-02-2011 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Need to get a new fusebox for the house have been putting it off for ages. Does anyone know how much it costs about and looking for a good Electrican recommendation in North Dublin area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

How old is the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Built in the forties

I would say it needs a full rewire if thats the case if it has not been rewired in the recent past anyway. Whats the problem with the fuses

Its an old house and was on the snag list to get done been meaning to do it, get a whole rewiring and a new fusebox. Last year some of the bulbs would be popping and smash out of their sockets in certain rooms so know something was up. TBH the wiring in the house looks very DIY in some areas

A rewire would be the only job so, not many responsible competent sparks would change the board when the wiring is not good.

• Advertisement

any idea of what a rewiring/new fusebox costs? guess looking a high hundred's dont know if they help out giving a grant towards that sort of thing.

Wiring a house can be 3 to 4 grand these days for the basic rewire of a 3 bed semi, a lot of work in it and a fair bit of materials as well.

Ta for that its a 2 bed so hopefully might be able to get it a bit cheaper 4k is crazy price :eek:

miss choc wrote: »
    Ta for that its a 2 bed so hopefully might be able to get it a bit cheaper 4k is crazy price :eek:

There is a lot of work in it though, and the gear alone could be a thousand euro+. Will be a little less for a 2 bed alright but there is not a lot less work in a 2 bed than a 3 bed really, prices can vary a fair bit and they are less now than a couple of years ago.

Its likely to be below 4k. I had said 3 to 4k for a 3 bed house, it all depends on whats going in, is chasing out of walls etc needed. Some houses are a lot more straighforward than others. Its a 2 story house is it? Others here might give more info on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

miss choc wrote: »
    Its an old house and was on the snag list to get done been meaning to do it, get a whole rewiring and a new fusebox. Last year some of the bulbs would be popping and smash out of their sockets in certain rooms so know something was up. TBH the wiring in the house looks very DIY in some areas
    Sounds like you have a ghost:P
    Seriously Robbie is fairly spot on.If you are looking at a completely gutted house(ie all ceilings down and furniture removed) a competent electrician would be looking for €2,800 for a basic fit out ie 2 sockets 1 light per room, forget about downlights speakers chrome fittings. If its not gutted you may add on another €500-€700. Prices exclusive of vat. You will have to get somone to patch up chases and holes afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

i re-wired a house a couple of weeks ago, took 2 weeks to do it, cost 2 grand,just labour and i did the plastering to fix the place up, the chasing etc.. place wasnt too bad to re-wire either.. just dirty and messy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

good money these days

i re-wired an easy 3-bed no chasing for 2200 supply+fit before christmas

was happy to get it

M cebee wrote: »
    good money these days

i re-wired an easy 3-bed no chasing for 2200 supply+fit before christmas

was happy to get it

wouldnt knock that money at all... be lucky to get it!

Was it a nixer or contract job?

which one?

either

beanie10 wrote: »
    either

mine was contract.. im registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

mine was inc. vat