Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled laser payment, can't access money.

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Yesterday morning I paid an outstanding balance on a large sum of money I owed to a certain electricity company, using laser. When the girl took my money, she never realised (nor did I) that the money had already been taken from my account by direct debit 2 days before. In effect I paid twice.

I called them up a few hours later, and they cancelled the second payment.

My problem is, when I try to transfer money between my accounts, it's telling me I have "insufficient funds", despite my balance being a good few hundred.

Is this normal -- the sort of thing that will take a few days to resolve. Or has the money been taken anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

What happened is when the girl took your laser payment, it put a 'hold' of xxx on your account as is the way with all laser transactions, they will have to reverse the laser payment, now this could take a few days

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just as a matter of interest were you not adivised that the dd would be taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

takes 3-5 days as far as i know,it happened to me before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

dub45 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest were you not adivised that the dd would be taken?

No, but in fairness that was my fault. They had severely underestimated my bill, then sprung me with a 900 Euro bill. I had agreed to pay in installments, but the company i work for stagger our pay period over christmas, and with the time of year, etc. etc. the money simply wasn't there. i thought maybe the bank might allow a few days overdraft, but it wasn't to be (fair enough, all my fault).
    I think the electric company obviously saw this as breaking the terms and conditions, so just took the lump sum. In late January we get a few modest bonuses where I work, so I intended on paying it off anyway -- as was the case yesterday.

All my fault, I suppose. what really fcuked me off though, was not being told I'd effectively already footed the bill, before paying with my laser over the phone. I suppose I'm unimpressed with the way I've been treated as a customer, but that's for another thread, and only my side of the story.

cheers for the info, guys. I'll hang on a few days, and then call them back if I've still no funds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

davyjose wrote: »
    No, but in fairness that was my fault. They had severely underestimated my bill, then sprung me with a 900 Euro bill. I had agreed to pay in installments, but the company i work for stagger our pay period over christmas, and with the time of year, etc. etc. the money simply wasn't there. i thought maybe the bank might allow a few days overdraft, but it wasn't to be (fair enough, all my fault).
    I think the electric company obviously saw this as breaking the terms and conditions, so just took the lump sum. In late January we get a few modest bonuses where I work, so I intended on paying it off anyway -- as was the case yesterday.

All my fault, I suppose. what really fcuked me off though, was not being told I'd effectively already footed the bill, before paying with my laser over the phone. I suppose I'm unimpressed with the way I've been treated as a customer, but that's for another thread, and only my side of the story.

cheers for the info, guys. I'll hang on a few days, and then call them back if I've still no funds.

I think you are being far too tolerant with the company concerned. Unless you agreed a payment schedule and an amount to be paid on a particular date each month via dd the company concerned had absolutely no right to issue a dd against your account. Giving a company a dd mandate is not given them permission to access your account as they wish no matter how much you may owe them. Remember the dd is just a way of paying a bill nothing more.

It is a fundamental part of the dd system that you are entitled to 14 days clear notice of any amount to be debited from your account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement