Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf MK5 DRL's

Options
  • 05-02-2011 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Yes I know maybe not for some but I am considering getting some DRL lights for 06 golf and have been looking around at various options. At present trying to decide if go with small 5-8 LED strip but issue is space on front vent grill as already have spots and prefer to leave in place. This does not leave much space for DRL strip and will require modification of the vent to fit. Putting in the centre vent I dont think will look right and unsure if would meet any separation requirements?

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=2451

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/led-strip-lights-and-drl-s/

or complete headlight

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/product_detail.php?default_product=2600

Any advice on best option? Apart from cost variance.

Also, before make decision interested to know if any impact from NCT point of view once installed. What are the recommended installation instructions for placement of the LED strips (separation, height above ground and from existing lights etc). I have seen German recommended distances but nothing for Ireland. Basically dont want to invest if find wont pass NCT when due again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd try get a secondhand set of Xenon headlights. They will have them (option on MFD) but will mean a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

EPM wrote: »
    I'd try get a secondhand set of Xenon headlights. They will have them (option on MFD) but will mean a lot of work.

I have Xenon's on my 06 GTI and they are class.. have driven a few cars with Xenon's and have always been well impressed with the GTI one's compared to others.

Got an s-max from UK in 09 and Ford Xenon's on it not near as good as VW's.

Bloody expensive when I got them... SSIA excess:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I don't personally like the built in versions. They can easily look tacky and I would question how bright those LED's are but considering you have spots to contend with I would search around for more, well in my opinion, more conservatively styles headlights with good quality LED's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

if you have fogs fitted to your mk5 there is an option on VCDS (vagcom) to set them as drls AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread moved to Modified Motors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Awful looking things,also TMT are an american company that ship from Germany so make sure they are selling you RHD headlights! Also in my experience if TMT sell something for 300 euro you can easily get it for 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agentsmith

Thanks guys for comments.

Unfortunetly headlights not available in rhd so can rule that one out. Not sure where might be able to find resonable hid or xenon units for mk5. I had looked at converting spots to drl but price was almost as much as complete headlight hence went down road of looking at that option. Personaly I like the audi s5 led drl look and why also considered headlight. The single flexible drl led strips I think might look a bit tacky but maybe not?

Any other useful links to source?

Currently have all nightbreaker plus bulbs which are V good but like to get led drl if possible also.

Advertisement