Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased Mortgage Rates

Options
  • 05-02-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Both ptsb and ulster both announced that on a future date they are raising their variable interest rate, do they leave it until then to raise their fixed rates aswell and give people a chance or do they raise them on the day announcement to sucker everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

as stated in another thread i requested a letter of fixed rates early last week in january. it finally came yesterday dated 31st jan. its says rates are valid for 10 days but subject to variation.
    will they honour these rates - 4.3% fixed until october2013

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

km79 wrote: »
    as stated in another thread i requested a letter of fixed rates early last week in january. it finally came yesterday dated 31st jan. its says rates are valid for 10 days but subject to variation.
    will they honour these rates - 4.3% fixed until october2013

That rate should stand. Its a good rate also but personally I would check their 3 to 5 year fixed rate. may be higher but overall i think it would work out better as rates are going to keep going up and lets not forget the ECB havent raised rates yet but once they do the banks will move to raise rates and use this as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

What Im thinking of is can I wait for my bank to announce a rise in the variable rate and then go in and fix it at that days rate or will the bank rise the fixed rates the day they announce their intention to increase the variable in say a weeks time, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

From yesterdays independent.

"Financial adviser Karl Deeter of Irish Mortgage Brokers said other lenders would follow Permanent TSB. He advised affected borrowers to sign up for a two-year fixed deal of 5.19pc."

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

I am with BOS Ireland/Halifax on a sort of tracker (won't go 1.5% higher than ECB base rate) variable rate at 2.4%.
    Wondering whether to fix if rates rise. Pay currently €638 pm.Had a quote from KCB - The repayments would be €657.94 on the 3 year (APR 3.93%) & €689.85 on the 5 year fixed (APR 4.24%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

lipso wrote: »
    I am with BOS Ireland/Halifax on a sort of tracker (won't go 1.5% higher than ECB base rate) variable rate at 2.4%.
    Wondering whether to fix if rates rise. Pay currently €638 pm.Had a quote from KCB - The repayments would be €657.94 on the 3 year (APR 3.93%) & €689.85 on the 5 year fixed (APR 4.24%).
    i am in the same boat as yourself,i am 2% at moment with BOS and fifteen years left on my mortgage,i was going to ring to see what they might offer me for a fixed 5 or 10 year rate or would i be mad to change from the tracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

I'd be very reluctant to give a up a tracker rate as you'll never get one again. When your fixed rate ends, you'll go back onto a Standard Variable Rate and I'd bet my last dollar that the standard variable rate would be far higher than the tracker you're paying now.

So your fixed rate for 3 or 5 years will cost you dearly for the remaining term of your mortgage.

Remember that a tracker rate can only go up if the European Central Bank puts up the base interest rate for all Eurozone countries. So Permanent TSB or Ulster Bank's recent moves have no effect on tracker mortgages at all. I wrote about this recently. http://www.sbpost.ie/themarket/dont-just-take-a-hike-54267.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

ferga_com wrote: »
    I'd be very reluctant to give a up a tracker rate as you'll never get one again. When your fixed rate ends, you'll go back onto a Standard Variable Rate and I'd bet my last dollar that the standard variable rate would be far higher than the tracker you're paying now.

So your fixed rate for 3 or 5 years will cost you dearly for the remaining term of your mortgage.

Remember that a tracker rate can only go up if the European Central Bank puts up the base interest rate for all Eurozone countries. So Permanent TSB or Ulster Bank's recent moves have no effect on tracker mortgages at all. I wrote about this recently. http://www.sbpost.ie/themarket/dont-just-take-a-hike-54267.html
    Thanks for that and i taught as much,BOS are trying very hard to get me to change from the tracker,a friend of mine on a tracker from another bank was offered a cash lump sum to switch from his tracker and he went from 2% to nearly 5% but he has only got 6 year left on his mortgage.

Advertisement