Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm confused

• 05-02-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

OK so I got an E in one of my modules - my elective. I e-mailed the lecturer and she said to speak to the programme office re compensating, which is fair enough. But then she said that when a module is offered in both semesters you have to take the assessments set in the following semester, like the mid semester / end of semester exam in the same way as students sitting the module for the first time in sem 2. So what do I just show up at both of these? Do I pay?

I know I should go to the programme office with these questions but it's Saturday and I want to know now. :p

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

To be honest I'm not sure. I would just like to say,having come through the whole modular thing in UCD I found it to be a phucking nightmare and I also found the programme office to be very, very unhelpful. In fact they gave me erroneous advice on one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Yeah I don't really like how the whole thing is organised either - it's all over the place and very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What you are doing is repeating the module. Which is as follows:
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/academic_regs.pdf

Go to page 22/23 of the following for more!
    REPEATS: Where a student is repeating a module, the component grades from previous attempts do not normally carry forward. They should repeat all coursework, assignments and assessment associated with the repeat attempt unless the School exempts the students from attending specific component(s) for appropriate academic reasons.

Where a student repeats a module, they may be exempted from attending some or all classes where
    (i) timetable clashes prevent the student from attending;
    (ii) the School, because resources are constrained, cannot accommodate repeat students;
    (iii) the School exempts the student from attending for academic reasons.

A grade of D- or better awarded for a repeat attempt at a module carries a grade point of 2.0, irrespective of the actual grade awarded.

As for cost, it will be:
    Euro 230 per resit/repeat. You must pay the resit/repeat fee, preferably online, by 25 February 2011. If you don't pay you will run into issues later in 2010/11 such as not being able to view your examination results in summer 2011 as you will owe fees to the University.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats/ (Lots more information on repeats here)

And in the spirit of teaching a man how to fish, learn to use Google. It does not take Saturdays off! All that can be found by Googling "UCD Repeats". I don't mean that in a snappy way, just that there is a lot of information out there without needing to join a queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Thanks for all that, Parker. But in fairness I didn't know how to google it because I didn't know it was basically a repeat. I thought a repeat would involve doing it in second year or something. I didn't think it was just paying money and doing the exams without being scheduled down for lectures.

However, I don't think I will repeat it. I passed all other exams so should pass it by compensation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    Thanks for all that, Parker. But in fairness I didn't know how to google it because I didn't know it was basically a repeat. I thought a repeat would involve doing it in second year or something. I didn't think it was just paying money and doing the exams without being scheduled down for lectures.

However, I don't think I will repeat it. I passed all other exams so should pass it by compensation. :)

According to your first post, that is not what you are doing. If you were doing that, it is called a resit. You are repeating the entire module and as the link says above, that includes going to class, doing assignments etc.

Check with the programme office about compensation. Don't leave it to hoping you will get compensation, make sure it is possible/likely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement