Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confusion about state pension

• 05-02-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

due to a heated discussion amongst my (Irish and non-Irish) colleagues last week I would like to post these questions here. Maybe somebody can say from personal experience....

Scenario 1 was as follows:

A person moves from another EU state to Ireland at the age of 50. Works for 16 years full time without any interuptions. Hence has collected 832 full rate contributions. He retires at age 66 and applies for Irish state pension.

Question: Does this person get maximum rate pension (which is, if I read it correctly, 230 Euro per week at the moment) ?

Scenario 2:

An Irish person has worked in Ireland 20 years full time without any interuptions (started work at age 25 after uni). Hence has collected 1040 full rate contributions. At age 45 he moves to another EU country and works there for another 21 years and pays contributions into that state's pension. He returns to Ireland at age 66 and applies for state pension.

Question: Is this person also entitled to full amount of Irish state pension? And is he also entitled to a pension from the other EU state? Or do both pensions get combined and he gets only pension from Ireland (due to some EU agreement)?

My understanding in scenario 1 is that one gets full state pension when one fullfills the requirements of having started contributions before age 56, has at least 520 (10 years?) full rate contributions and a yearly average of at least 48 contributions. This being the case with this person (yearly average of at 52), I would think he would get the full amount.

I don't have a clue about scenario 2, but my Irish colleagues were adamant that this person would NOT get the full amount of pension. Not sure, why....

Can anybody shed light on this?

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement