Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxy Records Tralee

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I heard Roxy records is closing. Does anyone know if the shop in the square in Tralee has already closed? I have a voucher that I haven't used yet.:confused:
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They are all gone, they owned those Euroworld shops as well, they went into liquidation and all the shops are now closed. Out of a job now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sad news to hear. Many a CD and LP/cassette before that (showing my age here!) was bought there. Buying off amazon/Itunes is so soulless compared to the fun of scanning through the CD racks in a physical store and picking up a new or unknown musical gem or making an unplanned purchase of an album you since have grown to love. Sadly, the book retailers are going the same way. Waterstones closed their Dublin shops yesterday following Borders and Hughes and Hughes last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

siblers wrote: »
    They are all gone, they owned those Euroworld shops as well, they went into liquidation and all the shops are now closed. Out of a job now :(

are you sure? the ones here in cork are still open, half empty but still open?

are you sure? the ones here in cork are still open, half empty but still open?

Really? All the ones in Kerry are shut, was trying to ring the office today but no one was there. Must only be a matter of time till Cork is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

siblers wrote: »
    Really? All the ones in Kerry are shut, was trying to ring the office today but no one was there. Must only be a matter of time till Cork is closed.

i went for a look when i saw your post and it was closed down...

to be fair their stock levels were shockingly low for a good while though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, all the roxys only got stock in a few weeks before christmas, they didn't any for the so called "sale". Most shops were only getting one or two deliveries a week, no wonder they were making no money when they had nothing to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Also they couldnt order anything, i tried to order two albums last year and got fed up with waiting and being given the 'its on back order' story.

Sadly the days of the music store like Roxys and HMV its its current format is coming to an end.

Where is the nearest Ticketmaster now?

Don't get me started on special orders, pure con of a job, only place I know that does tickets now is the INEC in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The shop in Ennis is closed as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

What a shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The last time that I bought anything off them was years ago when I paid 99c for a bargain-bin Electric 6 cd. When I got home after the 20 mile journey, I discovered that there was no cd in it.:( I couldn't be bothered going back.

In the end, it must have been the danger danger, high voltage recession that finished them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I used to always get my music in there but haven't bought anything there in years.

It was very handy for getting tickets for gigs though. Usually not many queuing down there so you were guaranteed to get tickets. I was the only person in the shop a few weeks ago when tickets for Beady Eye went on sale. I walked in at 9.55, tickets went on sale at 10, got 3 tickets and out the door at 10.05.

Shame to see it closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

How long was the Tralee store in existence? It was the first Roxy Records branch, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

teekayd25 wrote: »
    How long was the Tralee store in existence? It was the first Roxy Records branch, wasn't it?

It became a limited company back in 1988, but it must have been a sole-trader long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

teekayd25 wrote: »

I'm showing my age here but I'm sure it only opened around 1985 in the Square. As the unit in which it occupied along with Byrnesworth/Carphone Warehouse and those shops etc all used to be a small Quinnsworth. Quinnsworth then moved to where Central Plaza is now before renamed as Tesco.

That reminds me - anyone remember when Kielys were at the corner of the Mall/Square where Dan Fitzgeralds is now? That's where I bought my first single - "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club! It then moved down the street to where Elverys is now and of course the music business moved to Lee Records then! Lee is now the only dedicated music retailer in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

ongarboy wrote: »
    That reminds me - anyone remember when Kielys were at the corner of the Mall/Square where Dan Fitzgeralds is now? That's where I bought my first single - "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club! It then moved down the street to where Elverys is now and of course the music business moved to Lee Records then! Lee is now the only dedicated music retailer in the town.

That was a great record shop back then, I used to love browsing the racks, as you were facing the window and could keep an eye on anything 'interesting' passing outside. Do you remember The Discassette in Russell Street? I think Slattery's Travel took the building when it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 traleegirl101

I'm showing my age here but I'm sure it only opened around 1985 in the Square. As the unit in which it occupied along with Byrnesworth/Carphone Warehouse and those shops etc all used to be a small Quinnsworth. Quinnsworth then moved to where Central Plaza is now before renamed as Tesco.

It opened in the Spring of 1988 in the square, its either the same store expanded or they moved a few doors up. I remember because it was the year of my Intermediate and I had just started a weekend job in Dunnes......I spent all my first wages on 'The Cure' records! It was two brothers running the place, I presume they still do (or did??)

It opened in the Spring of 1988 in the square, its either the same store expanded or they moved a few doors up. I remember because it was the year of my Intermediate and I had just started a weekend job in Dunnes......I spent all my first wages on 'The Cure' records! It was two brothers running the place, I presume they still do (or did??)

If you are on about Roxys then it is owned by 2 brothers, think they were always in that spot but expanded into the unit next door i guess about 6 or 7 yeears back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Lee is now the only dedicated music retailer in the town.
    It will be interesting to see how he fares out. Anyone care to date the year he moved from the back of the old Keilys into the shop hes in now, which used to be O'Mahonys bookshop incidentally.

Euroworld in Killarney is back open, are either of the Euroworlds in Tralee open up again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the stock in the manor store is being boxed up, I haven't passed by the one in Abbey court recently so not sure. Roxy's stock is also being boxed up at the moment. Its such a shame to see Roxy's gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

It will be interesting to see how he fares out. Anyone care to date the year he moved from the back of the old Keilys into the shop hes in now, which used to be O'Mahonys bookshop incidentally.

I remember that premises - where Lee records is now, as being Willie Ryle's previous shop. Was it a bookstore too?
    There was a bookstore near there but that was Collins' Bookstore I think.
    I couldn't tell you when Brian moved out of what is now Elverys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

the back of the old Keilys
    I had forgotten completly about that, thanks for the flashback :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I passed Roxy's today, and it looks like the 'Euro2' shop which was up beside Seancara is going in there now instead. I know its owned by the same guys who had Roxy's, so I guess they have just decided to keep the unit & get rid of the other one. Still sad to see Roxy's gone though. Tralee doesn't need anymore Euro shops!

Advertisement