Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When to turn heat on to keep it warm for baby?

• 05-02-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

ok i feel kinda stupid asking this... but hey...

i have a 2 week old baby... so obviously need to keep the place warm. I did have my heating on for 12 hours a day (on for an hour, off for an hour.... i want to keep the place at a constant temperature!) But obviously that uses a mad amount of oil!

i was just wondering... if i just have it on for a few hours will that keep it warm enough??? When should i put it on???

Any help here would be much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You would be better off asking in the Newborn and toddlers forum:
    click below :)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1339

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Your better off turning the boiler down. And trying to leave it on all the time.

Even if the house takes an extra while to heat up at the start ,it will save you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 3roken

Thanks... reposted it there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

yep leave it on all the time (or at least from first thing in morning to last at night), turn the boiler down so its using less oil. having it on and off for an hr at a time is a false economy, basically the water is cooling down inside that hour and the boiler/burner needs to work harder to reheat the water (using more oil) whereas when its left on its just reheating the return water which has only cooled a little.

If its your first baby I know you're worried about the baby getting cold at night but you have to remember the ideal temp for a baby to sleep in is 16-18 degrees C - which isn't very warm actually if you have a thermomitor. I know with my first I was always worried about him being warm, I got one of those groeggs that tells the temp and I was shocked that the temp may have been 18 in the night but I myself was cold so imagined that he would be - tho if hes in a grobag they are normally nice and snug.

The best thing (if its your own house) that I can advise is to get thermostatic radiator valves fitted on most of the radiators in the rooms that are used most if not all the radiators. This means when your heat is on the TRV will turn the heat off in the room if its warm enough (depending on what temp u have it set to). I would turn most of our rooms down low and have the babies about 2.5, so it comes on when it cools down in the middle of the night but turns off if its too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 3roken

Ok... its a rented house, so no can do.

i left it on all day yesterday.... had the boiler set to 65 (which works out at 18oC... right???) But the thermometor was saying the house is 21 oC???

I've turned the boiler right down now... its been on 45 all day today.... and apparently the house is stil 21oC???

Oh well. 21 is ok... i just dont wanna be using mad amounts of oil (really cant afford to!)

I hate oil heating, always had electric in the past.... its so much easier!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

house is probably holding the heat, our old house with oil was like timber framed upstairs so was always hotter than downstairs even if we didnt have heat on it was always high temp even on mild days, in the summer it might of been like 27 so had to get fans and all in for child! if the room is that warm throughout the night either leave the door open to the nursery or make sure they aren't wearing too much, check their head isnt too warm in the middle of the night. My wee boy is a sweaty baby so he was always roasting you could see his hair would be wet in the summer nights even with doors and windows left open with fans on! Probably better to just keep heat on a couple of times during the day so its not too warm and then wrap him up - its easier to warm a baby than cool a baby down I find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Get a wall stat wired to your boiler, should cost €50-€70 and leave it set to 17 or 18c all the time.

At least with a wall stat the room controls the heat of the house and not the boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bryaner wrote: »
    Get a wall stat wired to your boiler, should cost €50-€70 and leave it set to 17 or 18c all the time.

At least with a wall stat the room controls the heat of the house and not the boiler.

This is the best solution but as it's rented you'll need to let your landlord know and have him/her agree to it but it will save you money on oil and keep an even temperature.

Advertisement