Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United v Arsenal [3pm St James; Setanta Sports 1]

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

BERBA wrote: »
    you were spot on:D

Thank you newcastle , thats why arsenal wont win the prem league ,soft centre.

We'll win it again before ye do and that's all that should matter to you, less of these petty jibes would be nice, but I don't expect anything else from you.

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Don't have setanta 1 so I've only heard about all the incidents. Was Woj at fault for any of the goals?

No, he's not Almunia or Fabianski!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Watching premier soccer saturday and............

Looking at the tackle again and to be honest now I dont even think it should have been a yellow for Barton. I thought his second leg went through Diaby when i watched it earlier but he kept it down and was pretty precautious compare to other tackles i have seen. Then again i am biased.
    Best penalty wasn't a penalty but his goal that was ruled offside should have counted.
    I take it back Best got the ball, it was a definite peno.

I didn't think Williamson should have got the penalty earlier but watching it over and over the Ref got it right or linesman i should say.

And to finish, what a goal by Tiote!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

I still cant see how Newcastle were awarded the 2nd peno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

L'prof wrote: »
    We'll win it again before ye do and that's all that should matter to you, less of these petty jibes would be nice, but I don't expect anything else from you.

no jibe mate , ye missed a great chance today esp with the other lot losing

win it again? , :confused:

thekid9 wrote: »
    I still cant see how Newcastle were awarded the 2nd peno?

Well we know the linesman gave the peno, I have the tv paused here and you can clearly see from the front view that Rosicky is running towards williamson and has his two arms up in a pushing motion towards him who is jumping straight up in the air. Now the push seems soft enough but from behind or the angle that th linesman would see it would defo look like a peno and thats why he flagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bazual wrote: »
    Watching premier soccer saturday and............

Looking at the tackle again and to be honest now I dont even think it should have been a yellow for Barton. I thought his second leg went through Diaby when i watched it earlier but he kept it down and was pretty precautious compare to other tackles i have seen. Then again i am biased.

I take it back Best got the ball, it was a definite peno.

I didn't think Williamson should have got the penalty earlier but watching it over and over the Ref got it right or linesman i should say.

And to finish, what a goal by Tiote!!!!

Agree. Christ their coverage is so bad though. No replay of the dodgy penalty and no mention of what a difference the Djourou injury made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Did they show the reverse angle? Fair enough he got the ball but he went straight through Diaby, all his weight went went on Diaby's standing foot, you can see it almost buckling under the force!

I'm of the opinion that any tackle that takes a players momentum through an opponents standing position it should be considered reckless, because it's really really dangerous when you come through straight on like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yes, Arsenal have won the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That_Guy wrote: »

BERBA clearly doesn't know what winning the league means, you're going to have take a different approach.

Did they show the reverse angle? Fair enough he got the ball but he went straight through Diaby, all his weight went went on Diaby's standing foot, you can see it almost buckling under the force!

I'm of the opinion that any tackle that takes a players momentum through an opponents standing position it should be considered reckless, because it's really really dangerous when you come through straight on like that.

Nah, no reverse angle which would have been good to see, but the way Barton went in his 2 legs were kept together after he won the ball and it was his knees that trapped Diaby. If it was a bad tackleI would think the feet or boots would go through the player first but because he was able to make the tackle and then pull his feet back before he met Diabys foot is the clincher for me and makes me think that no card was warranted. Trevor Steven even said that it was Diabys laziness in not getting his trailing leg out of the way and it wasnt bartons fault but Diabys approach to the tackle. Just my 2 cents.

heres me thinking they hadnt won anything in 5 years;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

You've only been watching football for 5 years?

You've only been watching football for 5 years?

fizzy cup be arsenals lot this season me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Football existed longer than 5 years.

Arsenal 13 lge titles- Spurs 2 lge titles. Arsenal 10 F.A Cups - Spurs 8 F.A. Cups. Arsenal 2 Lge Cups -Spurs 4 Lge cups. Arsenal 1 Fairs cup, 1 cup winners cup- Spurs 2 Uefa Cups, 1 Cup Winners cup

Total Arsenal 27 - Spurs 17. :pac:

• Advertisement

Did they not win one of those Mickey Mouse cups like the Carling Cup... Oh what was it called... The Emirates Cup or something?

Was only a matter of time wasn't it?

scaled.php?tn=0&server=640&filename=o8vteo.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Arsenal 13 lge titles- Spurs 2 lge titles. Arsenal 10 F.A Cups - Spurs 8 F.A. Cups. Arsenal 2 Lge Cups -Spurs 4 Lge cups. Arsenal 1 Fairs cup, 1 cup winners cup- Spurs 2 Uefa Cups, 1 Cup Winners cup

Total Arsenal 27 - Spurs 17. :pac:

:confused:

Half way to doing the double on ye this season , thats all i care about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Meanwhile Arsenal are going for a league title and cups.. oh choices..

Was only a matter of time wasn't it?

scaled.php?tn=0&server=640&filename=o8vteo.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

haha, its funny because the only decision he got wrong was when best scored the goal that was ruled offside which would put newcastle 5-4 lol

• Advertisement

haha, its funny because the only decision he got wrong was when best scored the goal that was ruled offside which would put newcastle 5-4 lol

To be fair, the second penalty was very soft. So I guess the two cancel themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

So what your saying is you don't value trophies... then why do you keep banging on about Arsenal not having won them?

you're becoming a poor imitation of yourself BERBA

What about Champions League????

What about Champions League????

nah newcastle have no chance of that:p

Nah, no reverse angle which would have been good to see, but the way Barton went in his 2 legs were kept together after he won the ball and it was his knees that trapped Diaby. If it was a bad tackleI would think the feet or boots would go through the player first but because he was able to make the tackle and then pull his feet back before he met Diabys foot is the clincher for me and makes me think that no card was warranted. Trevor Steven even said that it was Diabys laziness in not getting his trailing leg out of the way and it wasnt bartons fault but Diabys approach to the tackle. Just my 2 cents.

Trailing leg? It's his leading/standing leg Barton catches. Watch how his ankle buckles, I don't think he had any chance to get out of the way.
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/joey-barton-bad-tackle-abou-diaby-newcastle-arsenal-8410442/

Trailing leg? It's his leading/standing leg Barton catches. Watch how his ankle buckles, I don't think he had any chance to get out of the way.
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/joey-barton-bad-tackle-abou-diaby-newcastle-arsenal-8410442/

Reverse angle certainly looks different alright, agree with you that Diaby possibly couldnt get out of the way but still think it was a yellow at best.

Reverse angle certainly looks different alright, agree with you that Diaby possibly couldnt get out of the way but still think it was a yellow at best.

We'll have to agree to disagree so, in my opinion Barton lunges in with no consideration given for Diaby's positioning (as Diaby is clearly on a course to cross Barton's path before Barton attempts the tackle), which makes it a reckless challenge for me. The more I watch it the more I'm amazed no serious damage was done to Diaby's leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Newcastle fan here, absolutely delighted with the result and I must agree with The_Guy....I'm slightly disappointed we did not win the game :D

Anyway with regards to Arsenal fans feeling bitter, I can see where they are coming from with the second penalty decision, it was an extremely soft penalty and Arsenal fans have a right to be annoyed with that. However, Leon Best disallowed goal should never have been ruled out so I guess those two incidents balance each other out.

With regards to the sending off, I have only seen the incidence twice but on those two impressions, Barton's tackle seemed extremely hard but a fair challenge nonetheless. If I keep analysing it, then maybe I will see a foul. However that does not change the fact that Diaby should of never reacted the way he did. It was absolutely moronic to react that way and he has only himself to blame for the sending off and he should apologize to Arsene and his teammates.

Overall, Arsenal should only have themselves to blame for what happened, no matter what, you should never throw away a 4-0 lead after 26 minutes. It was absolutely ridiculous. They put the foot off the gas and allowed Newcastle to come back into the game, they got way too complacent, I honestly believe if they had more discipline and backbone then they could of made it a cricket score. Not the stuff of champions but there is a long way to go in the season yet and I expect Arsenal to be up there challenging towards the end.

All in all it was an enthralling match for the neutrals and it's about time that a comeback of this nature has happened. Great advertisement for football and the EPL.

Unbelivable day in the Premier League!

Limerick Dude (One happy Newcastle fan)

just seen the 2nd pen now , jeez soft pen to give

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Did they not win one of those Mickey Mouse cups like the Carling Cup... Oh what was it called... The Emirates Cup or something?

And ye won what? Yeah, nice one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ive no time for Barton but I cant see anything wrong with the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Classic game fair play to Newcastle, Barton was immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Can't see much wrong with bartons tackle. He did well not to react. Not to stir things but how many reds have arsenal got this season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

fantastic game - Nolan was lucky when he swung his arm around the keepers head - but take nothing away from the result. Bet those fellas who shagged off early will get some ribbing!!

Again, as in we've already won the premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just seen the highlights on Goals On Sunday, thought I would've liked if they actually showed a bit more of the match, instead of cramming this incredible game into about 3 minutes and spending more time chatting to Graeme Souness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm just watching the game here, and though Arsenal were an embarrassment second half, and deserve everything they're getting for a gutless showing, the officiating is ludicrous.

mark my words, those officials got caught up in the atmosphere and took every opportunity to give decisions to Newcastle.

bar the Best decision i don't think one thing went Arsenal's way, not one.

phenomenal performance 2nd half from Newcastle, but the officials have something to answer for.

oh, and what a fúcking hit from Tiote.

and Diaby & Rosicky should be fired.

Advertisement