Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work conundrum - Tell all or stay quiet

Options
  • 05-02-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Ok here goes.

The team I work for has just been made redundant but there was a new job created and myself and another girl went for the role. I've been there 3 years and she was on a temp contract. She got the role and I was passed over - I was ready to deal with that as I know my interview didn't go as well as I'd liked, I was really nervous on the day.However I've since "obtained" information that she lied on her CV to get the 1st temp role and that the person who interviewed her for it is actually a close friend/family member who prepped her fully for the interview. They are pretending at work not to know each other.(he did not interview her for the newly created role but works closely with the director who did)

The CV lies are not just exaggerations either. She claimed to have a qualification that she does not have and she changed the job description and duties of her last role in another company to match those of the temp descpription. Now I'm out on my ear and her temp role ended in April and she's wangled a new job out of it. I'm sure her "friend" coached her for the new role too.

What should I do - I can't divulge how I got the information and one of my colleagues still has a job there and I don't want to make it difficult for her. I also know it would be career suicide to burn any bridges with this company as I may need references etc. but I can't just walk away and let her get away with it.

I'm just looking for opinions and advice
    Or if you are the devious sort how can I leak the information without them knowing it's me.

I don't want the job now as it would be tainted by all this and I would be a second choice candidate. It's not a case of sour grapes but justice needs to be done for my sanity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Questioning the hiring manager's decision will not make you any friends in the company and could damage your career.

She got the job. You didn't. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

How do you know for a fact that somebody doesn't have a qualification?

Also, how can you be so confident of what she did in her previous job? Are you close to her previous employer or something?

I'm sorry but I don't quite get how you can be so sure about someone else's CV unless you have her consent to a background check or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Questioning the hiring manager's decision will not make you any friends in the company and could damage your career.

She got the job. You didn't. Get over it.

So we should all just tell lies to get what we want in life? No wonder this countrys in the state it is. Shall we just accept corruption as the norm and "get over it". I hope you never get screwed over 'cos it sucks! I will get another job and I will eventually get over it but this only happened this week so I guess I'm still a bit bitter.

I'm using boards as a vent for my feelings and I also thought I might get a few funny replies and suggestions for revenge...:D

How do you know for a fact that somebody doesn't have a qualification?

Also, how can you be so confident of what she did in her previous job? Are you close to her previous employer or something?

I'm sorry but I don't quite get how you can be so sure about someone else's CV unless you have her consent to a background check or something.

I swore to my source I would protect them at all costs - it's reliable information and undeniable. That's all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I'm using boards as a vent for my feelings and I also thought I might get a few funny replies and suggestions for revenge...:D

After Hours might be a better forum than work problems.

• Advertisement

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    After Hours might be a better forum than work problems.

I've kind of run out of steam anyway. At the end of the day if she can't handle the job she will be found out. I think I might just confront her alone on my last day and tell her that I know everything that her and the other manager did, and then walk out with my head held high. I've been reading some other threads in Work Problems and my situation is not so bad. I've got a small redundancy package and still a couple of months to look for another job.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

That a bit of a **** situation. There is feck all you can do about it though. After Hours will give you a laugh.

Ok just over a year later and this is how it turned out...should anyone care! I just like to wrap things up.

I got offered a six month maternity cover in the same company working for the CEO. He was a great guy and it was a great experience, and he's a really good person to have as a reference on my CV. Then I got offered a new role in a new company for more money and less hours than the job I "missed out" on. Also studying for my qualifications - paid for by my redundancy package.

I was really upset at the time, as you can see from my posts, and a little bit bitter if I'm honest.

But, everything happens for a reason they say !

(my less-than-honest colleague on the other hand is about to be made redundant and as she's been there less than 2 years will get sweet f.a. redundancy - karma's a bitch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Ok and what happened since then?!?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Mango Joe wrote: »

LIFE WENT ON

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I swore to my source I would protect them at all costs - it's reliable information and undeniable. That's all I can say.

Sorry, commented here but saw how old the thread was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Mango Joe wrote: »

OP is now an Taoiseach. Could you not recognize Leo's personality and desire for petty oneupmanship in the opening post? :D:D:D

Advertisement