Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the PS NGP and 3DS be Unhackable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What's built by man, can be broken by man. The real question is how long it will take...anyone's guess is as good as mine, but the flash card market is a lucrative one. Expect them to be looking at the 3DS very closely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    What's built by man, can be broken by man.

I like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The PS3 remained unhackable for four years after its release. One simple exploit and now look where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thanks OP, I needed a laugh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

The PS3 remained unhackable for four years after its release. One simple exploit and now look where it is.

it was only unackable because hackers decided not to bother with it while it had other os

once that was removed it took a year to completely bring it to its knees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Helix wrote: »
    it was only unackable because hackers decided not to bother with it while it had other os

once that was removed it took a year to completely bring it to its knees
    I'm aware. The point remains that the platform remained secure for four years.

OtherOS was only ever a tool to keep would-be hackers at bay. It was an excellent indirect security feature of the PS3until Sony decided to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

OtherOS was only ever a tool to keep would-be hackers at bay. It was an excellent indirect security feature of the PS3until Sony decided to remove it.

Indeed, and one that neither the 3DS or the NGP have.

In my own opinion - piracy is big business. I really don't think there is any other excuse for hacking a DS of any variety that currently exists. Maybe the 3DS can do some cool geeky image stuff that could spur on reverse engineers but I doubt there are serious horses in there to warrant a non-piracy related hack.

The NGP on the other hand would make for a nifty portable movie player :cool:

Do I think they'll get hacked? The 3DS is almost a dead cert to be hacked. The NGP, probably. Can they be hacked? Of course they can. There are no secure systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Indeed, and one that neither the 3DS or the NGP have.

Sony announced that they would be supporting Android apps on the NGP, they also announced that they would be allowing content created for the NGP to be available on other Android devices using the PlayStation Suite app/store/whatever.

if a limited version of linux satisfied hackers why would android not do.

The reasons to root a phone don't really apply to NGP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    Sony announced that they would be supporting Android apps on the NGP, they also announced that they would be allowing content created for the NGP to be available on other Android devices using the PlayStation Suite app/store/whatever.

if a limited version of linux satisfied hackers why would android not do.

The reasons to root a phone don't really apply to NGP.

What Sony say & what they do don't always equate to each other.

Advertisement