Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken camera...

• 05-02-2011 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey guys hoping someone here can answer my question!

I got a new digital camera for christmas off my mam, and a few nights ago I had it out with me and the screen smashed. I don't know how it happened, it was in my pocket and when I took it out to take photo I noticed it was broken....

Basically what I'm asking is, if i bring it back to where my mam bought it with the receipt will they fix it/replace it? Even though it was my fault?

btw no smart arse answers please, it may seem like a stupid question but ive been wondering....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Short answer, they will more than likely sent the camera away to get it fixed but will charge you accordingly. It will probably cost a few bob so try and get an estimate as it might not be worth your while. From working in retail most my life its rare you'll get something fixed for free when its not a product fault. Even then it can be hard. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

happy_feet wrote: »
    Hey guys hoping someone here can answer my question!

I got a new digital camera for christmas off my mam, and a few nights ago I had it out with me and the screen smashed. I don't know how it happened, it was in my pocket and when I took it out to take photo I noticed it was broken....

Basically what I'm asking is, if i bring it back to where my mam bought it with the receipt will they fix it/replace it? Even though it was my fault?

btw no smart arse answers please, it may seem like a stupid question but ive been wondering....

I'll put it to you this way.

If I bought a brand new car and a month later accidently kicked a football through the windscreen.

Do you think the garage should fix the windscreen or replace the car for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

Boggles wrote: »
    I'll put it to you this way.

If I bought a brand new car and a month later accidently kicked a football through the windscreen.

Do you think the garage should fix the windscreen or replace the car for free?

yeh suppose not! just thought i'd check anyways, thanks for the replies :) ill see how much it costs to fix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Unless you purchased some insurance, like argos sells? at the same time then no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

sorry for reviving this old threat but would anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get fixed? if i go to one of those pc/phone repair shops how much roughly would they charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

happy_feet wrote: »
    sorry for reviving this old threat but would anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get fixed? if i go to one of those pc/phone repair shops how much roughly would they charge?

More then likely most of the price of a new camera

If she bought by credit card she may have insurance on that, just don't mention she gave it away as a gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Photography forum - where you should get some better advice

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

What make/model is it?
    Is it just the LCD that is broken?

I do repairs and I am usually near UCD a few times a week so if you are interested PM me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

say it fell out itself or you didn't do anything at all...:o

runs away and hides...

but when this strategy inevitably fails, chances are your going to have to pay for it to be fixed and it might just work out as cheap with way less hassle to just to buy a new one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Considering you say it was in your pocket I'm going to guess this is just a simple point and shoot. Which means that they probably don't even offer repairs, and if they did I'm going to bet that it will cost as much or more than getting a new camera to repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Actually unless its an old P&S replacing an LCD is nowhere near the cost of buying a new camera. If it was the lens assembly that was faulty then it might not be worth repairing but otherwise it should be worth it for a simple repair like an LDC replacement (unless of course its sent to a manufacturer for repair which is much more pricey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As an example, my wife's Fuji Finepix zoom stopped working (after one of our daughters gave it a knock on a school-trip:() and she was quoted €150 by Fuji Ireland to have it fixed. I think that this is their minimum charge, and I wouldn't imagine the other manufacturers minimum charges being much different. It was less to buy a similar spec brand-new replacement.

Advertisement