Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Fastnet Race

• 05-02-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭

I've signed up to do the Fastnet 2011 Race and just wondering if anyone else on here has done it before or is doing it this year. What were the experiences were like and how it went.

I'm still pretty muche a newbie at sailing and have thrown myself in at the deepend signing up for the race but I'm really looking forward to doing it and quite anxious about it to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Fair play to you!

I havent done a fastnet but have done plenty or round Irelands (which is longer) so if you need any advice then please ask!

You say you are a newbie to this - long haul offshore racing is not easy so be sure you're up to it.

Are you doing qualifier races first? (mandatory afaik under RORC rules)

Have you done offshore racing before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

Thanks, the first training weekend is next month so I should know more of what I've let myself in for then!!

No offshore racing experience at all just a few trips on the Asgard and regular club racing and then leisure sailing experience.

I think my enthusiasm may make up for not having the experience (or so I hope:D)

I'm sure I'll be back after the training weekend looking for advice.

Round Ireland is another race I'd like to have a go at. Yea there's 4 qualifier races that have to be done - Dun Laoghaire to Dingle is one of the qualifiers. I'm doing it with a sail training company so I reckon they know what their doing taking on people with no experience of offshore racing!

PS: What does afaik stand for? Sorry I'm a newbie to boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

afaik (as far as I know)

I wish you well in this and fair play to you for the enthusiasm - I'll gladly answer any questions on it if I can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Cgoodie wrote: »
    I've signed up to do the Fastnet 2011 Race and just wondering if anyone else on here has done it before or is doing it this year. What were the experiences were like and how it went.

I'm still pretty muche a newbie at sailing and have thrown myself in at the deepend signing up for the race but I'm really looking forward to doing it and quite anxious about it to.

Well done for signing up, it should be a great experience.

Who are you sailing with? And if you wouldn't mind telling, what kind of cost is involved?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

Well done for signing up, it should be a great experience.

Who are you sailing with? And if you wouldn't mind telling, what kind of cost is involved?.

I signed up with sailingwest their based in Dun Laoghaire and it's €4k for all the training and races and stuff. If you google it aswell a good few companies offer similar packages but they are based in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Cgoodie wrote: »
    I signed up with sailingwest their based in Dun Laoghaire and it's €4k for all the training and races and stuff. If you google it aswell a good few companies offer similar packages but they are based in the UK.

Wow, its pricey, but that's probably the going rate and will be a epic experience, (enter envy emoticon here!).

Are you a regular sailor?

If so will the role your fulfill on your regular boat(Bowman, Timmer, etc), be the position you fulfill during fastnet, or how does that aspect work itself out?.

Advertisement