Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Throttling Speeds

• 05-02-2011 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I use fileserve as an online backup. Before Christmas i was usually able to get a download speed of around 450k now in the new year its normally around 100/150 k. I tried Hotfile, Megaupload and Youtube (slow sometimes) as well and it has the same slow speeds so it doesnt seem to be related to FS only. Is this the same for everyone on UPC? What speeds are other users getting?

I share the broadband connection with other people in the house so i don't know how much they are downloading (they say they are not downloading much) so i was wondering whether UPC has throttled the speed as a general policy for everybody or is it just some users? Has anybody contacted UPC and if so what did they say?

Comments

YouTube videos can be very slow to load sometimes!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have notice it a lot with Fileserve & Hotfile.
    I tried 3 simultaneous downloads from Fileserve this afternoon one one I got 2.5 meg constantly , the other 2 never went over 200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

How are you on 300 mb download I thought UPC highest was 100mb?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thats Speedtest.net for ya....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

What is you current BB speeds...Judging by normal torrent and p2p standards what you just adv was

2.5MB + 200KB + 200KB * 8 = 23.2Mb

I think those are pretty good speeds unless your HF and so on is measuring in MB and not Mb or the extreme that your using 100Mb

• Advertisement

Sorry wasn't disputing that example. The 2.5 meg is very rare. Lately most downloads max out at 200 k with file serve or Hotfile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

I've noticed since the so-called "free upgrade" from 15Mb to 20Mb my speed has degraded. Before the upgrade I would consistently get full downstream bandwidth, but now it seems to max out at anywhere between 12 - 14Mb. They have definitely changed something!

Possibly related to all the hourly disconnects recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

There is certainly something up with UPC broadband over the last week or so. I have been disconnected numerous times and have been getting speeds of 2-3 Mbps at other times, on a 15 Mbps line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I always get 2.5mb/s download on torrents (over wireless) even during peak times :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

techdiver wrote: »
    I've noticed since the so-called "free upgrade" from 15Mb to 20Mb my speed has degraded. Before the upgrade I would consistently get full downstream bandwidth, but now it seems to max out at anywhere between 12 - 14Mb. They have definitely changed something!

Just to expand on the above. This is the result of a speed test I performed. I am supposed to be on the 20Mb line. When I was on the 15Mb plan I was getting better speeds.

1147106016.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

If I recall correctly , 15, 30 MB is local loop speed. Any file hosting sites outside Dublin you would need to take in network factors. Megashare I think is hosted in HK . Try a speed test outside the local loop.

I'm on the 30MB Package, I have been finding Throughput is at about 8MB. It really is depending on the network your trying to connect too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

1148224013.png

I don't know what there at but it needs fixing! I'm on the 30mb product and my speeds have been terrible the last couple of days. This always seems to happen after there big 'free' upgrades.

Interesting...

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [209.85.143.99]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 12 ms 9 ms 9 ms 79.97.182.1
    3 10 ms 8 ms 9 ms 109.255.253.190
    4 37 ms 11 ms 12 ms 84.116.239.2
    5 25 ms 11 ms 8 ms 84.116.238.42
    6 3090 ms 85 ms 14 ms 213.46.165.54
    7 1954 ms 543 ms 23 ms 209.85.252.212
    8 15 ms 13 ms 31 ms 209.85.253.127
    9 21 ms 12 ms 13 ms 216.239.47.38
    10 3361 ms 158 ms 84 ms dy-in-f99.1e100.net [209.85.143.99]
    Tracing route to www.l.google.com [209.85.143.99]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

Something is definitely wrong in internet land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I was upgraded to 20MB recently too and the speeds have not been the same since. Even on rapidshare, with which I have a premium account, it rarely hits 2.5MB/sec. Very inconsistent. On megaupload with a free account, I only get around 100KB/sec.

When it was 15MB it was always 1850KB/sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 F S

Given that UPC is now slowing speeds to sites like megavideo, hotfile, fileserve etc what do people use 30/100 mb connections for when for most sites load at the same speed on 10 mb connection and you are paying less each month for the 10 mb connection.

Just wondering what the point of having a high speed connection when there doesnt seem to be much to use that extra speed on or am i missing out on something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

F S wrote: »
    Given that UPC is now slowing speeds to sites like megavideo, hotfile, fileserve etc what do people use 30/100 mb connections for when for most sites load at the same speed on 10 mb connection and you are paying less each month for the 10 mb connection.

Just wondering what the point of having a high speed connection when there doesnt seem to be much to use that extra speed on or am i missing out on something ?

Usenet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no problems with using up all my bandwidth with bittorrent here, getting better speeds than ever.

between that, online video, machine updates & regular surfing, its all still getting used up, but then i never much bothered with any of those rapidshare type sites anyway, i just don't see the point of them. you're already paying for your broadband, i don't see the attraction of paying a premium to be able to download stuff you can get elsewhere for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have notice it a lot with Fileserve & Hotfile.
    I tried 3 simultaneous downloads from Fileserve this afternoon one one I got 2.5 meg constantly , the other 2 never went over 200k.

hotfile sucks in general, yes premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I max my connection every time with RS or usenet

1153729674.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Adding in my experience with them. Can give one guess why they don't have a talk to forum, it would be flooded with people saying they are not getting the service you can get from the likes of eircom or vodafone.

On a friends 10mb line videos are loading slower than my 3mb vodafone line on the exact same setups, static IP's set the lot. Also gaming is slower and that definitly stinks of throttling or shaping of some sort going on.

Glad it's my friend and not me that's a customer with them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I genuinely think this is not a global UPC policy and more a localised thing for some. I recently joined UPC (20mb) from Eircom (24mb - well 12 really!) and I am using both hotfile and rapidshare and getting circa 2.5mb/sec on downloads and for gaming I am finding it much better, pings have at least halved and I can notice a difference on xbox live playing games like black ops. Have no problem with streaming either, frequently use things like sky player.

I could just be lucky and I know my apartment block has some nice new cabling, but just wanted to say I don't think it is something that is at a global level (unless they are individually throttling and I will experience it once I hit a certain criteria!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Ronan wrote: »
    I genuinely think this is not a global UPC policy and more a localised thing for some. I recently joined UPC (20mb) from Eircom (24mb - well 12 really!) and I am using both hotfile and rapidshare and getting circa 2.5mb/sec on downloads and for gaming I am finding it much better, pings have at least halved and I can notice a difference on xbox live playing games like black ops. Have no problem with streaming either, frequently use things like sky player.

I could just be lucky and I know my apartment block has some nice new cabling, but just wanted to say I don't think it is something that is at a global level (unless they are individually throttling and I will experience it once I hit a certain criteria!).

I really think this is all about where you are on the UPC network. Im in Ranelagh in Dublin and get full speeds across the board. Also it might to due to how many people are high use users in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Raft of hotfile uploader accounts have been banned, some sites no longer using it as of the weekend. Something to do with a court case pending against them.
    Can't post links to articles here because of the sites they are on.

That combined with the slow speeds im getting on upc now makes it a good time to jump ship, filesonic seems to be the #1 option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Here's my 20mb connection:

1170958437.png

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭celebroom

Well, in the last ~3 or so days my speed on 30mbit has dropped down to 10mbit. Im in Dub 2, Grand Canal area. Of interest is that I would get consistently about 30mbit before the drop. Interestingly this isnt only on speedtest.net, this is on UPC's own speedtest!

So anyway, I phoned their support and after about 20 minutes in the queue they finally answered and we went through all the usual painfull telephone support questions. Fortunately its a freecall because after about an hour on the phone the chap summed it up with "well, usage seems high in your area. Ill have to contact my team leader." I then proceeded to ask for basic ETA and he said its impossible for him to give one (fair I suppose), but right now Im getting 10mbit while paying for 30mbit.

I also dont buy the oversubscribed bollocks because it was so sudden. From averaging between 25-30mbit, straight down to a consistent 10-11mbit. Either that or there has been a massive uptake of their 100mbit service and UPC has suddenly run out of b/w..... Yeh right.

Miserable
    1170971591.png

Celery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 F S

celebroom, will be interesting to see when they get back to you whether they will increase your speed or just come up with an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭celebroom

F S wrote: »
    celebroom, will be interesting to see when they get back to you whether they will increase your speed or just come up with an excuse.

So! Here's the skinny. They basically told me my area is oversubscribed (in the space of a day) and is due for something called "segmentation" at the end of April. This means Im stuck with a) crappy speed for 2 months and b) paying for crappy speed for 2 months.

I called them on this (paying for crappy speed) and he said they would credit me at the end of April, assuming the matter had been resolved.

So apart from sucking badly, I do have to give them a bit of credit (har har) for getting back to me. Although not knowing anything about Cable technology, I wouldnt mind knowing how "segmentation" (is this even the right word?) is going to solve my problems. And more importantly, why in the space of a day it went from a service I was happy to pay for, to a service I will cancel if not resolved - there is a breakout clause in the contract that will cover this.

Meh. Misery. In hindsight, I probably should have stuck with Magnet actually. About 10 euro more expensive than UPC, and 4mbit less b/w, but atleast I got what I paid for!

Cheers,
    Celery

Anyone else finding Filesonic now being throttled at under 100k?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 .:PhaRaoN:.

i have same problems with upc since i've update my modem up to 20mbps,
    now sometimes i cant use any browser,its just going so slow....
    Even upload any large file its impossible,like last test on speedtest.net or even on upc.ie showed me 0,015 mbps :(
    Im living in D18,Shankill and they did just about year ago new wireing for fibre in all area.So i just think it must be some problem with that Cisco modems or new firmware have some bug :(
    Anyway i raport them my issue and i hope the gonna solve that very soon.

regards

• Advertisement

Speed isn't a problem.
    Browsing is fine & if I download from Rapidshare it will max out my connection like wise with Download.com etc...
    But file sharing sites seem to be getting restricted in some way.

Advertisement