Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Throttling Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

CorkMan wrote: »
    I was upgraded to 20MB recently too and the speeds have not been the same since. Even on rapidshare, with which I have a premium account, it rarely hits 2.5MB/sec. Very inconsistent. On megaupload with a free account, I only get around 100KB/sec.

When it was 15MB it was always 1850KB/sec.

WTF!?! Lately it's not only been back up to 2500KB/sec but it's been consistently at 3500KB/sec sometimes, the odd time the speed stays at 4150KB/sec for 5 to 10 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

I am on UPC's 30mb package and I have premium accounts to hotfile, rapidshare and megaupload. They all seem to be downloading at ~400kb/ps for some reason. Rapidshare sometimes peaks at 2.5mb/ps but mostly hangs around the 400 mark. Does anyone know why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Well I have recently joined UPC after suffering Vodafone for years. I am on a 20mb package and I have a premium Megaupload account.

I had all the same issues you guys had this week and though wtf did i bother switching for. When I was downloading say a 750mb file I was getting transfer rates of 100 - 250k max.

Needless to say i wasn't impressed with the "fibre connection @ 20mb". Until.... I played around with the jdownloader port settings. I changed the jdownloader from port 80 to 800 for network traffic. And did the same in my megaupload account page online 80 to 800. As soon as I did that my rates jumped to 19.5mb per second.

I took 4 large files with 5 parts each averaging at 1g each. So thats 20 downloads at once and I hit "start all". the transfer rate stayed at a steady 19.5mb and I had all the files down in no time at all :)

I repeated this again on an ISO image of 16gig and the file came down in about 1.5hrs or a lil more.

I hope that helps, to summarise.

Change your port traffic from port 80 to 800.

= Maxi is a very happy UPC customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 .:PhaRaoN:.

@NOGMaxpower

cant find option to change port in my cisco modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Well I have recently joined UPC after suffering Vodafone for years. I am on a 20mb package and I have a premium Megaupload account.

I had all the same issues you guys had this week and though wtf did i bother switching for. When I was downloading say a 750mb file I was getting transfer rates of 100 - 250k max.

Needless to say i wasn't impressed with the "fibre connection @ 20mb". Until.... I played around with the router port settings. I changed the router from port 80 to 800 for network traffic. And did the same in my megaupload account page online 80 to 800. As soon as I did that my rates jumped to 19.5mb per second. So I tested it further by downloading Jdownloader and using that as the main download manager - Thk god i moved away from Flashget!!

I took 4 large files with 5 parts each averaging at 1g each. So thats 20 downloads at once and I hit "start all". the transfer rate stayed at a steady 19.5mb and I had all the files down in no time at all :)

I repeated this again on an ISO image of 16gig and the file came down in about 1.5hrs or a lil more.

I hope that helps, to summarise.

Change your port traffic from port 80 to 800.

= Maxi is a very happy UPC customer.

is it specific to port 800 or can it be anything? i assume if every1 changes to port 800 it will cause the same contention that is prob causing this problem anyway. basically can we set any port or are the only options 80 or 800???

• Advertisement

@NOGMaxpower

cant find option to change port in my cisco modem.

Hey

Sorry my bad it wasn't on the UPC modem.

It was actually in the settings/options for jdownloader and again in the account page for megaupload.com

tazzzZ wrote: »
    is it specific to port 800 or can it be anything? i assume if every1 changes to port 800 it will cause the same contention that is prob causing this problem anyway. basically can we set any port or are the only options 80 or 800???

Any port but the most common used are 80, 800 and 1400, 80 being the most common!

See my post a second ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

YouTube videos can be very slow to load sometimes!!

Anyone else having a problem like this with UPC? I've been having issues with youtube, college humor and other streaming video sites over the past week or two. It used to happen every now and again and I could live with that but lately it's been desperate.

Speedtest is showing a healthy result for me and torrents and online gaming work okay (although pings have been a little higher than usual).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Usually just refresh the youtube page and it'll load faster ime.

My download speeds have been terrible the last two days.
    Restarted the modem and it got worse. :(
    I don't use Semi-DDL so I don't think it's them throttling.

I'm using IDM with my UPC 100mb and i don't get any throttled speeds with Fileserve & Rapidshare.
    Some files on certain servers may be slow, but thats on the server end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 .:PhaRaoN:.

i had some downtime last night (probably they fix something)
    now its bit better but still something wrong.
    Like i did speedtest now on UPC.ie its starting downloading and stoping arround 2,5 MBs for good while and than goes again up to reach 65MBs !Upload test around 1MBs. I have 20MBs so should be constant about 20 up and 1,5 down.

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

UPC has started to go downhill big time in the past few months.

I had virtually trouble free broadband for 4 years over the past 6 months I had multiple outages and anything other than normal browsing is becoming a pain.

It's all Craig Doyles fault by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

On 30meg UPC - last week or so all downloads using rapidshare have gone from a relatively consistent speed of 3 megabytes a second (as in a 350mb file in about 2 minutes) to highly fluctuating speeds of only about a third of that. Using Internet Download Manager I am just watching the speeds going down/up down/up stop/up etc.

Rang UPC who said my line was fine.. :confused:

Does anyone have an email address for tech support?
    The form is some kind of joke or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

Something very bad going on with UPC as far as I can tell. I have 100MB connection which was fine up until about a week ago.

Anything from OVH ip ranges appears to be throttled badly :/

ftp://ftp.ovh.net/test.bin 100mb file (I'm only getting average 100 kB/s, previously I could max out my connection getting that file)

Can anyone else confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

On 30meg UPC - last week or so all downloads using rapidshare have gone from a relatively consistent speed of 3 megabytes a second (as in a 350mb file in about 2 minutes) to highly fluctuating speeds of only about a third of that. Using Internet Download Manager I am just watching the speeds going down/up down/up stop/up etc.

Rang UPC who said my line was fine.. :confused:

I have the exact same problem, I was using FlashGet as the download manager.

After reading through a few different threads I decided to try JDownloader, the speeds are much better using this, still not what they should be but better.

They are definitely throttling / traffic shaping...

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

Result:

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

niall0s wrote: »
    Something very bad going on with UPC as far as I can tell. I have 100MB connection which was fine up until about a week ago.

ftp://ftp.ovh.net/test.bin 100mb file (I'm only getting average 100 kB/s, previously I could max out my connection getting that file)

Mine is not going past 80k.
    I'm on a 30meg connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Get the full whack off HeaNet 2.7mb/ps which is what I normally test from.

Hotfile 40kb but as I said earlier in the thread that is dead now

Fileserve is ok at the moment, near full speed.

They seem to be targeting specific IP target ranges to throttle

lots of tests to try here http://www.ukspeedtest.com/

getting really bad speed from most of them

• Advertisement

I've attached an image that proves that they are traffic shaping at least for downloads :(

Results:
    Your ISP appears to rate limit your HTTP downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 1295 Kbps while downloads using HTTP achieved up to 1922 Kbps.

Exactly the trouble I've been having the past two weeks.
    I got a customer service guy(go to speedtest.upc.ie etc.) when I tried to bring it to their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scottsullivan

KoolKid wrote: »
    Possibly related to all the hourly disconnects recently.
    Hourly Disconnects!
    What do you know of these?
    I'm with UPC and i play Xbox, and iv been logging the times that i disconnect, and its every hour on the hour without fail.
    (I.E 13.06, 14.06, 15.06)

It's really bugging me and iv decided to just get on with it.
    have you got any information?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That was going back a while.
    Havn't had any issues with this in a while.
    There is a thread here on it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70365948

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Exactly the trouble I've been having the past two weeks.
    I got a customer service guy(go to speedtest.upc.ie etc.) when I tried to bring it to their attention.

A UPC employee in the know confirmed to me (off the record, they are not allowed speak of it) they are throttling certain ranges and there is nothing they will do to change that policy :( At least eircom are up front when they shape their traffic...

Edit: seems UPC have covered themselves here also, from AUP

Section 8: Management of Network
    The Services are provided on a best efforts basis and we can not guarantee minimum bandwidth delivered to the customer and we can not guarantee that all data traffic can be transported complete and without delay.
    UPC reserves the right to take whatever actions may be necessary to manage its network for the greatest benefit of the greatest number of subscribers. To this end, UPC reserves the right to restrict access to the Services and or to impose data traffic restrictions at its discretion (1) in order to implement new facilities, (2) to allow for data retrieval, and/or (3) to maintain service levels.
    You expressly accept that any such actions on the part of UPC may affect the performance of the Service.

A UPC employee in the know confirmed to me (off the record, they are not allowed speak of it) they are throttling certain ranges and there is nothing they will do to change that policy :( At least eircom are up front when they shape their traffic...

Edit: seems UPC have covered themselves here also, from AUP

Section 8: Management of Network
    The Services are provided on a best efforts basis and we can not guarantee minimum bandwidth delivered to the customer and we can not guarantee that all data traffic can be transported complete and without delay.
    UPC reserves the right to take whatever actions may be necessary to manage its network for the greatest benefit of the greatest number of subscribers. To this end, UPC reserves the right to restrict access to the Services and or to impose data traffic restrictions at its discretion (1) in order to implement new facilities, (2) to allow for data retrieval, and/or (3) to maintain service levels.
    You expressly accept that any such actions on the part of UPC may affect the performance of the Service.

I contacted OVH this morning, who said they would contact UPC about it.
    If they're going to throttle access to my server, I'll have to find a less utterly stupid ISP.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I contacted OVH this morning, who said they would contact UPC about it.
    If they're going to throttle access to my server, I'll have to find a less utterly stupid ISP.

+1

Let me know what OVH have to say about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Folks, I dont think the performance issues are caused by traffic shaping as I'm pretty sure they don't implement shaping.

I do however believe that they have very poor peering policies which cause significant amounts of latency.

A perfect example would be the peering policy at inex and munster broadband. In order to get to a munster bb router the traffic routes via the Netherlands I think.

This is likely to be the cause of the problem.

You will find that UPC only guarantee the connection speed to their own network and not to other 3rd party networks.

If you're not receiving the correct speeds on their own test page then you've a case, otherwise they will just point the finger.

I do however believe that they have very poor peering policies which cause significant amounts of latency.

UPC IE have been refusing to peer with OVH since 2009 or earlier, while most if not all of their other subsidiaries aside from NL, do.
    OVH wrote:
    yes we peer with UPC.AT and UPC.CH, but they don't want to peer
    with us in NL,IE. But I see they use the routes and it's not
    good at all.
    09-03-2009

Still, the drop in line quality in the past few weeks is ridiculous.
    Almost full speed to 5% speed.

• Advertisement

Folks, I dont think the performance issues are caused by traffic shaping as I'm pretty sure they don't implement shaping.

A perfect example would be the peering policy at inex and munster broadband. In order to get to a munster bb router the traffic routes via the Netherlands I think.

This is likely to be the cause of the problem.

You will find that UPC only guarantee the connection speed to their own network and not to other 3rd party networks.

If you're not receiving the correct speeds on their own test page then you've a case, otherwise they will just point the finger.

I am 100% positive that they are traffic shaping, all ISPs do to some extent http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Broadband-Stakeholder-Group-Traffic-Management-Policies-ISPs,news-35160.html

Downloads from OVH before 2am 200.37kB/s, after 2am and before 7am 2.00MB/s

Uploads to OVH at any time of day or night 1.0MB/s

I installed glasnost on my server, ran a test and it proved they are shaping download speeds

Advertisement