Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moan about the RSA and testing :(

• 05-02-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

My friend went to do his bike test a week back, he was ready to go, did his pre test, knew the routes and all the points. Cept he forgot his L vest. So naturally the test center not going to pass up free money, cancelled his test and sent him home.

Could they not have an L vest in the office ffs.
    I think that forcing someone to repay the fee and miss their test over something as simple as this is downright unethical :( I call shenanigans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

Ya sure it's always someone elses fault

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You do know he was meant to be wearing that vest ALL THE TIME and not just for the test??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Xios wrote: »
    ( I call shenanigans.

We have a conspiracy theories forum you know

Your friend knows the rules.
    Blaming your own failures on everyone else in the world is a losers mentality.
    That goes for everything realy, not just driving tests

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

An expensive lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Twas an expensive lesson alright. I only wore the vest for the test cos the chap I got lessons off, gave me one to wear. Don't think it was compulsory to.wear one then but sure Feck it.
    Hopefully your mate will pass it the next time. Knowing the route is handy , been able to ride the route properly is another thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i woulld kinda have to agree with xios ,,testers without the biibs in this day n age is ?????? ,,ya really having a bad day syndrome lol feicn price of the test these days a bib should be supplied buy the tester anyways so its offical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i woulld kinda have to agree with xios ,,testers without the biibs in this day n age is ?????? ,,ya really having a bad day syndrome lol feicn price of the test these days a bib should be supplied buy the tester anyways so its offical
    Legally your man should of having one on when he arrived anyways so the tester shouldn't have to supply him with one.
    :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know of someone who had their test cancelled because they had no gloves. Should the test centre have provided those too? Or a helmet for those who forget? Its not their responsibility, same as they dont check you have enough petrol in your bike to do the test either.
    The learner bib is mandatory equipment just like the bike, helmet and gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oryx wrote: »
    I know of someone who had their test cancelled because they had no gloves. Should the test centre have provided those too? Or a helmet for those who forget? Its not their responsibility, same as they dont check you have enough petrol in your bike to do the test either.

He should have told them to go **** themselves. Gloves are not a mandatory requirement for riding or for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Rule's are rule's,he should be wearing it all the time anyway..Some personal responsibility needed here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

yes ,rules are rules are rules are rules,but what ever happened to decency, ...if you ask me its the "ryanair" mentality ......if you dont have everything absolutely perfect ,then ,sorry you cant proceed.

I did my bike test over 20 years ago ...turned up on my sidecar (Category A vehicle) ,the tester had never tested one ,but carried on anyway .The bike stalled on the test ,out of sight of the tester ,I managed to push start it ,and carried on ....and passed ....by today's standard ,I would have failed on several counts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I think they're alright up there. Was doing the test on Thursday (extremely Windy), severe gust of wind blew me 5 feet across into m50 slip road 10 mins into the test, turned back into the lane, waved me arm and pulled in, told the guy I had enough (didn't want to be failed for not controlling the bike)- and he cancelled it for free and rescheduled.

Going to do the test without an L sign...come on man, what did he expect? Don't think he should have to repay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

The problem is when is it the examiners fault and when is it the rider?. In the letter for the test appointment it has a whole page on preparing for your test and states that unless you have the L vest then the test will be cancelled. Should they have a complete set of safety gear for everyone who turns up in jeans and no gloves?. The whole idea is to have a riders mentality to safety and responsibility. lets not forget that once the test is passed they never have to see you again.
    By law you could turn up in your underpants , Helmet and L vest but that doesn't mean they will accept you on safety grounds, After all one of my trainee's fell off my school bike during his test last week and busted up the bike but I made sure he had everything on and luckily he was OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

It is the law to wear the vest, all the time when ever you are on the road. The examiner is not going to test you if you are breaking the law, it'd the same as not having any tax or insurance. The Law's the Law.
    In relation with the gloves, you'll be asked to "confirm that safety equipment, (gloves, boots, weather-gear) and in particular the helmet, are properly adjusted." -all part of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

Oryx wrote: »

I'm an MSF instuctor in Massachusetts and we provide everything including the bike and the course is done over one weekend and costs $275.00 which is about 200 euros
    Once you pass the course your all set and don't have to take a test, just go to the dmv and you'll get your licence and you will also get 10% off your insurance.
    No restriction on what sort of bike you can ride.
    The only thing we ask you to wear is good boots and a pair of gloves and if you show up without a jacket we normally have a few kicking about , we even provide lids and petrol for the bikes.
    So I think people are getting ripped off big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Different country different rules. The only problem being that in the USA theres not many corners to go around.:). Also bikers commonly known as organ doners due to the lack of protection they wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If the rider couldn't be arsed going for the actual bike test through some sort of checklist to meet at least on that single occurence in their biking life the formal requirements what's there to be expected from that rider for the future?

Zero sympathy I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grumpybore wrote: »
    yes ,rules are rules are rules are rules,but what ever happened to decency, ...if you ask me its the "ryanair" mentality ......if you dont have everything absolutely perfect ,then ,sorry you cant proceed.

You are being tested on your ability to drive and the rules of the road. If they can't remember one of the basic items needed for the test then they shouldn't be allowed to do it. Why do people always want someone else to provide something which they should already have?
    grumpybore wrote: »

I did my bike test over 20 years ago ...turned up on my sidecar (Category A vehicle) ,the tester had never tested one ,but carried on anyway .The bike stalled on the test ,out of sight of the tester ,I managed to push start it ,and carried on ....and passed ....by today's standard ,I would have failed on several counts .

There's no issues with stalling on the test. It's how you react to the stall that they watch out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Del2005 wrote: »
    You are being tested on your ability to drive and the rules of the road.

But you can't fail on the rules of the road. Only two grade 2 marks possible. I should know, I didn't answer a single question right and passed my test with three grade 2's in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But you can't fail on the rules of the road. Only two grade 2 marks possible. I should know, I didn't answer a single question right and passed my test with three grade 2's in total.

They didn't fail on the rules of the road.

They failed because they weren't legal as per the rules of the road. If they turned up with no tax they'd also be failed, should the testers have spare tax discs to hand out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement