Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1TB Sky HD Box

• 05-02-2011 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one of these but on the Sky website price starts from €249 - bit expensive!

Does anyone know where I could get one cheaper? (I am already a Sky HD + multiroom customer.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Upgrade the drive yourself? Plenty of resources online to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

JDxtra wrote: »
    Upgrade the drive yourself? Plenty of resources online to help.
    +1

Heck, you could get someone to do it for you and it would still probably work out cheaper.

The new SKY+HD Terabyte box does look ACE though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

paultf wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these but on the Sky website price starts from €249 - bit expensive!

Does anyone know where I could get one cheaper? (I am already a Sky HD + multiroom customer.)

Ring Sky,a lot of people have gotten deals on these boxes, €149 for self install seems to be the going rate,you've a good chance of getting it for that price as you are a HD multiroom subscriber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Got my box for free but I did get 3 rooms when I ordered it
    One HD terrabite one Sky + and one STD box had to pay €249 but they gave it back to me the same day as a credit. Didn't ask the girl was just really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Came across a 1.5TB Sky HD box (Amstrad) for £299 on satbuyer:-

http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/amstrad-drx895-sky+hd-digibox-1-5tb-p116.html?gclid=CKqEksqM8qYCFUhO4Qod7nTJFg

I wonder if Sky are planning on selling these soon? They only have the 1TB on offer on their website. (Plan on ringing Sky Monday to see what they have to say.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Came across a 1.5TB Sky HD box (Amstrad)

*1TB personal storage; the remaining 500GB is retained by Sky for Anytime/VOD/3D services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yep, as gtg60 says, all Sky 1TB boxes are in fact 1.5TB boxes. The 1TB advertised is what you have for your personal storage.

Got one recently, was charged full price for it but will get it all back over the course of the year from discounts I've been given.

chris_ie wrote: »
    Yep, as gtg60 says, all Sky 1TB boxes are in fact 1.5TB boxes. The 1TB advertised is what you have for your personal storage.

Got one recently, was charged full price for it but will get it all back over the course of the year from discounts I've been given.

Alright, I didn't know that.

Rang Sky twice. They wouldn't budge. €309 (incl €60 install). They said orginal price was €499.

Too expensive. I gave them the line that I have Sky World, etc. They basically said there were no offers at the moment.

I just think with all the HD content available at the moment the HD boxes they give for for free are just too small.

Rang Sky twice. They wouldn't budge. €309 (incl €60 install). They said orginal price was €499.

Too expensive. I gave them the line that I have Sky World, etc. They basically said there were no offers at the moment.

I just think with all the HD content available at the moment the HD boxes they give for for free are just too small.

The price is very steep. Dont remember it being 499! Sent you a PM on this.

The other option of course is to buy the normal HD box and upgrade the hard drive yourself.

I think it's only too small if you don't delete content. I have an 80Gb Sky+ box (40Gb usable) and it's perfect for SD material. Most content I record is deleted after watching (some is kept).

If HD recordings take up 4x space, then a HD box with 160Gb usable would probably suit me.

Maybe I just remember the early days of having a 1st generation Sky+ box.... the content would regularly be deleted and you'd have to rebuild the planner, or do a new install! So, I don’t get too attached to recordings.

• Advertisement

Remember, a Humax Freesat PVR with a 320Gb drive (fully usable) is €250. Sky will give you a 1Tb PVR for €309 (incl €60 install). Seems reasonable.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Remember, a Humax Freesat PVR with a 320Gb drive (fully usable) is €250. Sky will give you a 1Tb PVR for €309 (incl €60 install). Seems reasonable.

Thats true but with Sky you have a subscription, most of the offers on the box are for new customers who would then have a 12month contract. Cant remember if upgrading box ties you into a new contract? (Doubt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

I think they have overcharged you on the install fee...should be 30 Euro.

I'm an existing sky+ customer and ordered HD last week. 249 for the 1TB and 30 install!

Mind you, the 1st guy I spoke to did mention 60 Euro install....they are obviously not singing from the same sheet!

To quote the small print at the bottom of their webpage:
    Set-up offer: Standard set-up for Sky+HD 1TB box, Sky+HD box and Sky+ box is free for new Sky TV customers joining online. Offer ends 17 February 2011. Standard set-up for existing customers is €30 for a Sky+HD 1TB box or Sky+HD box, €60 for a Sky+ box...

After another phone call I got the 1TB box for €199 - install free. Happy with that! :)

EDIT: if you upgrade your Sky box you are tied to a new 12 month contract.

When I get the 1TB box installed I am planning on moving the old HD box into my multiroom.

Will I be able to view the saved HD content in SD on a box/card that has no HD sub? Will the programmes be encryted?

When I get the 1TB box installed I am planning on moving the old HD box into my multiroom.

Will I be able to view the saved HD content in SD on a box/card that has no HD sub? Will the programmes be encryted?

Dont thinkso. Think you need the sub that it was recorded under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Chris is correct I'm afraid.

Any and all SD or HD recordings are locked to there original specific card+box combo.
    Also, the HD recordings can't be downgraded to SD and then watched. You were given a choice when the show aired, to record the SD or HD versions, on there respective channels. :(

So you'll either have to get working on backing up those HD recordings somehow or just wait until you get the Terabyte box, use it for a few months then ring sky up and ask them to re-pair your old HD box with the HD sub.

They may kick up a slight fuss though about you signing up for the deal as ''12 months + Terabyte box + HD sub''.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

deleted....and started new thread!

Advertisement