Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL2+ bitstream with 12:1 contention ratio?

• 05-02-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I'm on an Eircom ADSL2+ enabled exchange (and on Eircom's 8Mbit business package at the moment).
    There are serious contention issues around my area.I used to be on Smart's Nationwide business package (12M/1M package) via the same exchange,and I never had contention problems.
    I'm pulling the plug on Eircom and I was wondering what are my options getting a ADSL2+ bitstream connection with at least 12:1 ratio via a different ISP?
    Can't find the same package on Smart's website,it seems like Digiweb is taken over that one,but charging way more than I used to pay a year ago.

Any other ISP's out there with a 12:1 bitstream package?

My exchange is going to be upgraded to NGB by the end of March.But I don't know if that will resolve the contention issues...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Smart went bust due to offering too much and charging too little.

You'll only get better on some expensive eircom business package, or if Digiweb or Magnet has LLU (unbundling) at your exchange.

Or maybe an unbundled expensive BT Business package (they disposed of all retail to vodafone, inc all esat & IOL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Do you have to have a bitstream connection?
    If you're in an area which Vodafone/Digiweb/Magnet etc. provide LLU, then you'd probably be much better off with that.

EDIT:Just realised watty posted the same thing. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

The only DSL option is Eircom in this area :(
    We are only 5 minutes from Cork City but still no sign of UPC etc.

As I said a 12:1 bistream worked just fine before,but a year ago I moved into a new house and made that mistake to go with Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Why did you drop Smart? :eek:

I was in the middle of college exams and had to get broadband ASAP.
    So Eircom was the fastest option and being nextdoor to the exchange with excellent line stats it didn't seem a bad choice that time...
    But Smart wasn't an LLU connection either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

If you're only 5 mins from Cork city then I'd imagine Eircom should have upgraded your local exchang to NGN. If not they should be about to

For some reason the NGB integration won't happen till April in my area.
    I have only two griefs with this:
    1. Can Eircom guarantee that NGB will solve our problems...
    2. I'm still paying €80/month till April for a "third of broadband"

Advertisement