Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted Look

• 05-02-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Who else here uses inverted look on consoles?
    Iv been forced to share an xbox since mine broke and iv been gettin sh1t over using invert look. The effort that it is to go into options and change it back!
    As far as i remember invert was the default setting on n64 so ever since then iv been using it and think its much easier.
    Is there many people who use it because i rarely come across any other inverts who i know that play xbox.
    Is it still common or am I just weird :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Who else here uses inverted look on consoles?
    Iv been forced to share an xbox since mine broke and iv been gettin sh1t over using invert look. The effort that it is to go into options and change it back!
    As far as i remember invert was the default setting on n64 so ever since then iv been using it and think its much easier.
    Is there many people who use it because i rarely come across any other inverts who i know that play xbox.
    Is it still common or am I just weird :P

I use inverted look too. It just makes more sense. Everyone else are just freaks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

i cant play any other way, im the only one out of all my friends that plays like this they are allways slagging when we are sharing an xbox :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Nothing freakish about this , it's simple (or not) biology and how your brain perceives this action. There was a great article detailing it that I can't for the life of me find now.

Basically some people see it as using the muscles and the back of the neck to pull back to look up and others to push up from the forehead to look up. Now I've put that very simply and and poorly but that is essentially it. Really a matter of perception and how your brain is rigged :D

Really wish I could find that article as it went into the Y axis also , now those Y inverters are 'freaks' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Neck muscle movement sounds like a good argument for it.
    Its just really from playing older games where invert was default. Old dog, new tricks and so forth

calex71 wrote: »
    Nothing freakish about this , it's simple (or not) biology and how your brain perceives this action. There was a great article detailing it that I can't for the life of me find now.

Basically some people see it as using the muscles and the back of the neck to pull back to look up and others to push up from the forehead to look up. Now I've put that very simply and and poorly but that is essentially it. Really a matter of perception and how your brain is rigged :D

Really wish I could find that article as it went into the Y axis also , now those Y inverters are 'freaks' :pac:

Think I found the article you referred to or something similar: http://gamepeople.wordpress.com/2006/11/07/down-is-up/

I'm not entirely convinced as that's the reason. I started gaming on flight sims back in the eighties, this may have something to do with why I use inverted. However, the easiest way for me to explain why it makes more sense to me is as follows:

Pretend to hold a gun. Imagine the right thunmbstick moves your head. So when you push the thumbstick forward, this causes your head to tilt forward and visa versa. Push your head forward to look down and pull your head back to look up. So, for me, I use the left stick to control exactly what my body does, the right stick controls exactly what my head does.

So, I imagine people who don't use the inverted option aren't actually controlling their head but are instead controlling the position of the crosshair on the screen, so for the vast majority of people this would make more sense.

So it's about perspective, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Think I found the article you referred to or something similar: http://gamepeople.wordpress.com/2006/11/07/down-is-up/

I'm not entirely convinced as that's the reason. I started gaming on flight sims back in the eighties, this may have something to do with why I use inverted. However, the easiest way for me to explain why it makes more sense to me is as follows:

Pretend to hold a gun. Imagine the right thunmbstick moves your head. So when you push the thumbstick forward, this causes your head to tilt forward and visa versa. Push your head forward to look down and pull your head back to look up. So, for me, I use the left stick to control exactly what my body does, the right stick controls exactly what my head does.

So, I imagine people who don't use the inverted option aren't actually controlling their head but are instead controlling the position of the crosshair on the screen, so for the vast majority of people this would make more sense.

So it's about perspective, in my opinion.

Not the exact one but was very similar.These differences in people always fascinated me.

Edit: This one didn't talk about gender, one I was thinking of had a study on men vs women too, reminded me of a book I read once called "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" had some really cool ideas and facts as to differences like wider peripheral vision in women , and why the skin on a mans back was thicker etc. crazy stuff but fascinating all the same.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not the exact one but was very similar.These differences in people always fascinated me.

Edit: This one didn't talk about gender, one I was thinking of had a study on men vs women too, reminded me of a book I read once called "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" had some really cool ideas and facts as to differences like wider peripheral vision in women , and why the skin on a mans back was thicker etc. crazy stuff but fascinating all the same.

I loved that book and take great pleasure in telling women about it. I generally start by telling them about mens' inability to multi-task (unless learned) and why we always choose to sleep closest to the door. This sucks them in and they always want to know more. Then I go through all female aspects. It pisses them off so much :D Would recommend that book to everyone!!!

I loved that book and take great pleasure in telling women about it. I generally start by telling them about mens' inability to multi-task (unless learned) and why we always choose to sleep closest to the door. This sucks them in and they always want to know more. Then I go through all female aspects. It pisses them off so much :D Would recommend that book to everyone!!!

Can't argue with science can they :D and the little quiz bits ....... epic wins every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've used invert for as long as I can remember, and I run into serious problems when I attempt to play without it. I totally agree with what has been said about the thumbstick representing the head. I pull back on the thumbstick, the head should pull back, therefore look upwards.

My friends also think it's very odd, and I usually end up on the tail end of a slagging over it. But to me, this invertion makes perfect sense.

Out of curiousity, I'd like to find out a little more about what else my inverted brothers have in common. It would be very interesting if we shared other traits too.

• I'm kinda ambidextrous, although use my right hand mostly out of convenience.
    • I also have the ability to write upside down and also back to front too, on demand. So, I could sit across from you at a table and write so that you could read it.
    • Decision making and problem solving are relatively easy and simple tasks for me. I'm able to make rational and lateral-thinking decisions without allowing emotions to influence that process.

• Advertisement

Out of curiousity, I'd like to find out a little more about what else my inverted brothers have in common. It would be very interesting if we shared other traits too.

• I also have the ability to write upside down and also back to front too, on demand. So, I could sit across from you at a table and write so that you could read it.
    • Decision making and problem solving are relatively easy and simple tasks for me. I'm able to make rational and lateral-thinking decisions without allowing emotions to influence that process.
    I share the ambidextrous trait and decision making, not sure about the other one. I can read stuff upside down, never tried writing that way. That will give me something to do next time im bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I can do none of the above, lol. Looks like the inverted axis is as far as the similarities go with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I use inverted, thank goldeneye, but if im playing a pc with a mouse I go the normal way, weird or what?

deathrider wrote: »
    I can do none of the above, lol. Looks like the inverted axis is as far as the similarities go with me.

It was a long shot but worth asking, all the same.

Suppose I'll have to look elsewhere for proof that the Brotherhood of the Inverted are indeed the master race ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

In my youth, I always HAD to play inverted. I remember specifically always inverting the lookspring, and being completely unable to play one of the "targeting reticle" games in Die Hard Arcade because it wasn't inverted and there was no option to "fix" it.

NOW though, I can't play inverted at all and it wrecks my head if I try.

I read somewhere that as you age, your brain chemistry changes in a number of ways, and apparently I lost inverted lookspring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

In my youth, I always HAD to play inverted. I remember specifically always inverting the lookspring, and being completely unable to play one of the "targeting reticle" games in Die Hard Arcade because it wasn't inverted and there was no option to "fix" it.

NOW though, I can't play inverted at all and it wrecks my head if I try.

I read somewhere that as you age, your brain chemistry changes in a number of ways, and apparently I lost inverted lookspring.

I'm the same, as I got older I can't use it anymore and I play aload of flight sims which you think would help but inverted controls feel very wrong in FPS games now.

Even on the PC I used to invert them, the thoughts of it now, I'm amazed how I ever managed to play them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

Inverted all the way:) not sure when i first started using it but Crimson Skies(flying game)on xbox was the one that sealed my invertedness..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nope, never inverted for me.

Now look sensitivity, that always needs an editing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

I don't mind using inverted controls, can't remember off hand whether my controls are inverted or not. I got used to it in flight sims, playing f117a stealth fighter on the old amstrad 1512 .... the down arrow was up, and the up arrow was down .... good times.

Although when I panic in fps I know I confuse myself and start pulling back for up, or pushing forward for up, and then crouching randomly when trying to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- I used to use Inverted for Goldeneye and all my Playstation 1/2 games (Timesplitters etc)
    - Inverted obviously for flight sims
    - Nearly sure I had inverted Y-Axis on Timesplitters as well as a few others
    - PC and Xbox I've never use Inverted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Aside from not knowing any better - I see no good reason why you should start to use inverted if given a choice - You are programming your brain to use the interface in a way that would appear very unnatural.

I see some of the console ports that come across often have inverted left/right options to. I knew some gamers that got used to wearing their headsets the wrong way round (having left speaker on right), rather then correct their error early they have now learned to associate left sounds with looking right!

anyone who uses inverted on PC is handicapping themselves unnecessarily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i cant understand how anyone can play with a non inverted look, its unnatural

Hercule wrote: »
    anyone who uses inverted on PC is handicapping themselves unnecessarily

how exactly is it a handicap? it doesnt add any additional movements or thought

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No offense but your post is rubbish. From a biological point of view the image from your eyes is inverted and its then reversed by brain. Studies were done were people were given special glasses that caused everything to be upside down. After a short while the brain readjusted and they had no problems.

I dont understand how be using inverted on a PC handicappes yourself. The distance doesnt change and its not as if it requires and different forces/inputs to use.

I have to agree that Hercule's post does seem redundant. I may be wrong but I got the impression that he thought we were recommending people to use inverted.

No disrespect Hercule but that's not what this thread is about. Some people are naturally swayed towards using the inverted option, just like some people are naturally left handed. I believe that 10% of the population are lefties and 2% are ambidextrous. Changing your preferred inversion to the alternative, just wouldn't be a rational decision and nobody here has recommended that.

However, I am intrigued about the study that the mind was able to adapt so quickly to an inverted viewpoint. Can you post a link to it? I'm interested because it may provide some information as to why I'm able to write upside down and backwards at will.

I never really knew there was so much psychology involved in playing inverted :D
    Been some pretty good points brought up in this thread. That study with the special glasses sounds fairly interesting, I tried playing non inverted earlier after carrying on someones game and I just couldn't adapt into it, just didnt seem right and couldn't get my head around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Wrecks my head to use inverted look. If I press up, I want to look up, seems most logical to me.

Different folks though, whatever works for yourself, fire ahead!

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Wrecks my head to use inverted look. If I press up, I want to look up, seems most logical to me.

say its a fps, youre moving the character's head with look, so to look down the top of your head moves up, and to look up the top of your head moves down, meaning its perfectly logical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I use both...
    I rarely bother to change the settings in games and others consoles..and have found after a few minutes, I get a hang of the controls and either will feel 'natural'.
    Is that odd? 0o

I can also write backwards... and read upside down/backwards. ..Writing upside down though..messes me up XD .. Unless I really concentrate on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

SeantheMan wrote: »
    -
    - Inverted obviously for flight sims
    - PC and Xbox I've never use Inverted

I always use inverted for flying games, or have the
    controls set, so if there is a game where you can fly,
    it is inverted.
    Outside of that, I never use it, though I used to
    use it for the first Halo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Flight sims of course, you use inverted controls as that's how an airplane works. :)

I'm like Fieldog: When playing PC games (mostly FPS), I always use the mouse as "normal" (up is up and down is down).
    Whatever game I'm playing on a console, I have to have the Y axis for my "looking" thumb (the right thumb-stick) inverted, I'm not sure why, but I guess it's the difference between full hand movement and just a digit moving. It's a strange one and everyone I play with calls me a pervert for it :)

Advertisement