Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCHP server problem? Need help

Options
  • 05-02-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Today i had to unplug my wireless modem for an hour or so, plugged every cable out of it.

Then when i plugged everything back in the trouble started.
    I have the modem next to the PC and they are connected via ethernet. I also have a Macbook on the wireless network which is working fine.
    The problem is with the PC. I am running windows 7 and it says I am connected to the internet and that there are no networking issues detected. However if i start Firefox there is just an endless loading screen. I know the internet is definetly working because my laptop is working perfectly normal.

I did notice earlier on i got a error on my macbook saying :
    192.168.0.2 in use by 20:cf:30;30;45;86, DCHP Server 192.168.0.1

Iv never gotten this error before so i think it might be relevant to the problem. Also i replaced the ethernet cable from the modem to the PC and that did nothing. Its defo a software issue.

Also find it strange that my modem no longer shows up on the networking page. It used to, Netgear DGN2000

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Today i had to unplug my wireless modem for an hour or so, plugged every cable out of it.

Then when i plugged everything back in the trouble started.
    I have the modem next to the PC and they are connected via ethernet. I also have a Macbook on the wireless network which is working fine.
    The problem is with the PC. I am running windows 7 and it says I am connected to the internet and that there are no networking issues detected. However if i start Firefox there is just an endless loading screen. I know the internet is definetly working because my laptop is working perfectly normal.

I did notice earlier on i got a error on my macbook saying :

Iv never gotten this error before so i think it might be relevant to the problem. Also i replaced the ethernet cable from the modem to the PC and that did nothing. Its defo a software issue.

Also find it strange that my modem no longer shows up on the networking page. It used to, Netgear DGN2000

Are sure you've transcribed that MAC address correctly?

Log into the router, there's usually a status screen showing the current DHCP leases and the ARP table.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Spear wrote: »
    Are sure you've transcribed that MAC address correctly?

Log into the router, there's usually a status screen showing the current DHCP leases and the ARP table.

There are currently 3 leases.
    One is this laptop i am typing from now.
    One is the PC (which wont connect)
    And there is one unknown which im guessing would be the Netgear HomePlug adapter. The DCHP address i gave above is the Mac address of the PC. Sorry, just replace the ';' with ':'. thats what i meant.

At the moment the PC has 192.168.0.5
    Unkown has 192.168.0.4
    Macbook has 192.168.0.3

I havnt a clue whats wrong and why the PC wont connect despite windows saying i have access to the internet

Just found this. Seems to be a person who had the exact same issue as me.

Linky to Forum

He had to replace his router. Feck sake!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have you tried assigning a static address?

Have you tried assigning a static address?

Im not sure what you mean or how to do that. Im fairly noobish with Networking.

Just to let you know aswell i tried a wired connection from Modem to laptop and it worked perfectly. So it must be a windows problem? The router no longer appears under my devices which it used to do. And when i go and try create a new network it cant find the modem.

• Advertisement

Im not sure what you mean or how to do that. Im fairly noobish with Networking.

Just to let you know aswell i tried a wired connection from Modem to laptop and it worked perfectly. So it must be a windows problem?

Open the network connections window, and find the network adapter. Right click and choose properties. In the list of protocols you'll see TCP/IP v4. Choose properties for this. You can then switch from dynamic to static addresses. Set the IP to 192.168.0.xx something higher than the DHCP pool is likely to give out. In the netmask put 255.255.255.0. In the gateway put 192.168.0.1 (the router address). For the DNS servers, either put your ISP ones, or I'd suggest the Google ones at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Apply and OK the lot of that.

After that, in command prompt, run ipconfig /flushdns, and then try ping www.boards.ie and check that all works.

All done.
    I got a 0% loss 28ms

im completely lost as to why i cant use Firefox or IE, I even ran Google Earth to see if that would work. No chance.

Thats the thing. The network adapter (Netgear DGN2000) doesnt appear in the window, it used to before this problem but not anymore

The DGN2000 is the router/modem, not your network card.

The DGN2000 is the router/modem, not your network card.

Yeah sorry made that mistake. Check my edited post

Yeah sorry made that mistake. Check my edited post

Can you copy and paste the results of the ping?

Try "ipconfig /flushdns" and then try the ping after that.

• Advertisement

Can you copy and paste the results of the ping?

Try "ipconfig /flushdns" and then try the ping after that.

OK... I am currently typing from the Windows PC. I remembered that i installed the new Microsoft security essentials AntiVirus last night. I just uninstalled it straight away and now everything is working perfectly. Very strange. Ill keep an eye on it though.

Thanks Spear,
    You've been a great help

OK... I am currently typing from the Windows PC. I remembered that i installed the new Microsoft security essentials AntiVirus last night. I just uninstalled it straight away and now everything is working perfectly. Very strange. Ill keep an eye on it though.

Thanks Spear,
    You've been a great help

I suspect it was acting as either a local proxy or firewall and needlessly blocking traffic. That would explain why the ping works in the command prompt, yet browsers were blocked.

Advertisement