Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMORPG Survey

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sisko wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said in your post except that last part there.

Gaming addiction , like in many other activities, does exist. This is down to the person though.

Can you please provide relevant and concrete information to support the above, as I really can't believe that a "computer addict" if removed from games for a few days, would have any negative side effect, physical or psychological.

I don't believe that anyone can be dependent on them. You could ask any "addict" ...lets go to Disneyland/ Australia/ Holiday in the Sun and I believe they would drop their games easily enough. Whereas any other form of addiction, the person craves/needs their fix and without it usually has a negative affect on said person.

Also, I think your boyfriend just wanted to be left alone while playing his Ghostbusters ;) , god knows we all do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MV

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Even join/attempt to join a clan/guild so you can participate with others and see what the MMO scene is actually like.

On the addiction side, the survey is geared towards MMOs' as I believe the image has been portrayed that they are the only kind who get "addicted" to gaming
    I really believe that I don't need to do this to make a survey, as I said before I did a good research about this topic. And everybody seems ignore my links, like Daedalus project.
    With regards to addiction, what constitutes being an addict ?
    Look, I'm not one those people who gather together and decide what is addiction, yet there are symptoms for different types of addiction, as well as for Internet/Gaming addiction. I said before, I took valid test to figure this out. I didn't do in myself!! It is there among many more psychological test, and I don't mean those you can find on FB, I mean the test, that still keep psychology as science.
    Sisko wrote: »
    I'd really love to get into detail on this topic and talk about it properly but MV keeps insisting on making insultingly ignorant comments and refuses to listen to anyone and actually try and learn something.
    By refusing to listen, you mean refusing to try WoW or any other MMORPG?
    I actually really learning here something! Like I came here, I'm a stranger and not one of you. And you standing here saying: This is our world, you don't know anything about it, go away or become one of us!
    Cool! But don't you agree, that to study any subject you have to step back and to look at it in objective manner?
    By now, I see some people trying to defend themselves that they are not addicted.
    ****ing ridiculous, we're comparing gaming with the movie industry or sports, forms of entertainment and yet your comparison is HEROIN?

Unbelievable.

Really proves a lot of peoples points on here regarding your attitude and pre-determined opinions too.

We started to talk about addictions, and I'm not trying to compare video games to anything. I just take it as separate subject.
    ****ing hell you sound like you think your BF is suffering from a mental condition because he's playing a video game.

Ghost busters? I highly doubt your BF is addicted, just not arsed arguing with you.
    I showed your post to him))
    I really don't believe that game addiction is mental disorder. Before I just made a reference that there are people who do, whether they just want to make money or help people. I don't discuss this. I had no chance to talk to them.
    But playing games could trigger some mental disorders, like depression. But also can other activities, like taking drugs and simply stress.
    Sharrow wrote: »
    I suggest you reconsider taking on a topic which is less of an emotional and personal issue for you to research.
    Thank you.
    Seems that some people read my posts selectively. I said, if the result of this survey will be that among people that took part none is addicted, I'll write in my conclusion as it is. I'm not loosing marks for this.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Can you please provide relevant and concrete information to support the above, as I really can't believe that a "computer addict" if removed from games for a few days, would have any negative side effect, physical or psychological.
    Addictions could be physical, psychological or both. Game addiction I believe is only psychological.
    And I still don't understand, if you guys don't consider yourself addicted, don't you really think there none sitting in their rooms, loosing weight, lacking of sleep, and not interested in the world outside their room?
    I'm not telling that there are such people amongst you. Just want to find out.
    Also, I think your boyfriend just wanted to be left alone while playing his Ghostbusters ;) , god knows we all do :)
    And there is nothing bad about it! Until you break the line. And this is with any other thing in our life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MV

Forgot to add: I chose MMORPG, because role play is one of the main features of this types of games. It tries to simulate social life on-line, that can bring some issues from real life into the game.
    So the question is - to what kind of extend the real life moves to the game.
    You can argue. I want to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

MV wrote: »
    Addictions could be physical, psychological or both. Game addiction I believe is only psychological.

Eh of course it can be physical. If people play games all day and don't move off their arses this is what happens :
    wowpromo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Where ever there are people there will be poltics it is the same from the local golf culb, book club, kids 7 aside soccer and groups which forum in online games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Troll-successful.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Bert

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I did this survey

ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD DUDE??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Refusing to do this on the basis of the personal bias in the survey.

Your line of questioning is quite insulting as others have said it is socially acceptable to waste your time watching TV soaps or p!ssing away your time in a drunken stupor but not to play video games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MV wrote: »
    By refusing to listen, you mean refusing to try WoW or any other MMORPG?
    I actually really learning here something! Like I came here, I'm a stranger and not one of you. And you standing here saying: This is our world, you don't know anything about it, go away or become one of us!
    Cool! But don't you agree, that to study any subject you have to step back and to look at it in objective manner?
    By now, I see some people trying to defend themselves that they are not addicted.

And therein lies our problem with your method of research. I understand academic research, I've used boards for such purposes before (here's a link to one essay I finished about girls and gaming, another topic potentially filled with stereotypes and assumptions I tried to counter). But I also felt I used boards because I knew the community, and I've been here and playing games for long enough to have a basic understanding of how gamers feel in general. Researchers should never assume anything: questions shouldn't be loaded, and should allow unexpected answers. Your survey questions are extremely loaded, as if you're expecting a certain answer and other responses are an afterthought.

You aren't one of us, but when you're trying to examine what drives gamers then it's important you at least understand why people play games. Your survey IMO doesn't attempt to understand, it assumes that the MMORPG gamer is addicted, which is quite frankly insulting. If you want to study gaming addiction, perhaps it is best to track down people who are genuinely addicted - not sure how you'll find them, but this isn't my topic either. But you've come onto a website simply to use the members to get responses - responses you've tried to predict in advance - and hence you've met with hostility.

I'm not attacking you, as I've said I'm used to academic research and the problems involved in getting respondents. But personally I feel you need to radically rethink your approach, and I'm surprised your lecturer has signed off on a survey full of researcher bias. I can only say again that the only responses your survey invite are not going to probe the reasons why the vast majority of people play MMORPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK I think we'll nip this one in the bud now. The OP registered an account solely for the purpose of getting guinea pigs for her survey (and the guinea pigs are ANGRY!!)

Locking this now. Hopefully you got a few responses. Good luck with your research.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement