Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scopes under 500euro

Options
  • 05-02-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for a new scope under 500e for centrefire (rugged & value for money)
    I always feel that I need more magnification than my 3x9 even though I would never/rarely take a shot over 250-300yards on game,
    suggestions on Recticle if desired.......

cc30.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Any suggestions for a new scope under 500e for centrefire (rugged & value for money)
    I always feel that I need more magnification than my 3x9 even though I would never/rarely take a shot over 250-300yards on game,
    suggestions on Recticle if desired.......

cc30.

i had a swift premier 3-12x56 on my .223 and .308 for a while. it was a great scope for stalking it was very good in low light. i cost me €450 new
    i have a hawke sidewinder 30, 6-24x56 on my .223 now and it is quiet good it cost €350 new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

CrackCrack30,
    What's your game? Little targets (bunnies need big magnification) or big targets (like deer) need little magnification. All a deer hunter really needs is a fixed 4x32mm. However, with the low cost scopes today, a 3-9x40mm is standard.

Or, are you interested in a scope that can do a bit of both?

I love Burris Scopes. They are about the quality of Leupold at a considerable discount. I absolutely love the Ballistic Plex reticle. It is exactly what I need for deer.
    opplanet-burris-timberline-4-5-14x32mm-ballistic-plex-riflescope-201344-reticle.jpg

I recently purchased a Nikon ProStaff. I must admit that I like the quality and glass. Again, the reticle (BDC) was a key point.
    opplanet-nikon-bdc-reticle.jpg

I see some great deals on Zeiss scopes these days. However, the reticle is just a cross hair which I am not crazy about.

You may wish to suss out a Redfield. Redfields are legends in the States, especially the older ones. Currently, Redfield is owned by Leupold. I have one and love it. Almost bought a Redfield Revolution but the Nikon won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

As Fisma already mentioned, Burris.. I have one and love it. Got it from Fisma actually as a swap. Brother has a bushnell elite 6500 and the burris is just as good in my opinion for less money;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I just got a Burris 3.5x10x50 ballistic plex for around the €400 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Mueller Scope

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NIB-Mueller-8-5-25x50-Eradicator-Ilum-Reticle-Dot-Matte-/150556487557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230dddaf85

rifle-1-1.jpg

I've one of these and find them a great scope for the money - reasonably priced - great glass & clarity - lots of good reviews.

Simmons 6.5 X 20 X 50 AO Whitetail Classic

home_made_rifle_stand.jpg

I've one of these & find them a brilliant scope for the money - great glass & clarity - lots of good reviews.

Can't see any for sale at the moment but Simmons scopes for sale in U.K.

http://www.best4optics.co.uk/acatalog/Master_Series_Prohunter.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Just the kind of replies I was looking for, I hunt Deer 1st and fox second, Was kinda getting hung up on bushnell and had a suspicion i was limiting my choice.
    I currently shoot under a redfield 3x9 (originally cheap @150e) and even though it has never let me down I feel like im missing out or missing view/ clarity at distance and to be honest I have backed out of headshots due to this.
    Will def give burris a look.....cc30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

keep an eye out for meopta as well
    i think they use zeiss glass in them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Bushnell man myself I have three of them. 6-24x50 Elite 4200 models on both the 223 & 308.

I have looked through many scopes and if I could afford them it would Ziess optics that would sit on all my rifles. But that's not gona happen so the Bushnell's will do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

The only scope I could afford when I got my new license for the .223 was a Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16 x 50.
    It was only 150 yoyo and as I already had the Hawke ballistic software on my computer I thought I may as well get it as a temporary thing.
    On first impression I think I'll be keeping it longer than I expected. So far it seems like a great scope.
    Illuminated mil dot reticule, adjustable parrallax, 4-16 mag and great clarity with the 50mm bell. For 150 squid you wont get better. Even if you only get it to tide you over until the ship comes in.

PS. Its only 150 in O'Hallorans in Drangan. on special at the moment.
    http://www.hawkeoptics.com/global/riflescopes/niteeye/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

J.R. wrote: »
    Simmons 6.5 X 20 X 50 AO Whitetail Classic

I've one of these & find them a brilliant scope for the money - great glass & clarity - lots of good reviews.

I have that EXACT same scope on my .22lr. It's good enough for a .22, but that's about it!

I've heard good things about burris. I am currently using a 6.5-20x50 VX-III on my .270 and it's ok. You would get one second hand for under €500...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Just the kind of replies I was looking for, I hunt Deer 1st and fox second, Was kinda getting hung up on bushnell and had a suspicion i was limiting my choice.
    I currently shoot under a redfield 3x9 (originally cheap @150e) and even though it has never let me down I feel like im missing out or missing view/ clarity at distance and to be honest I have backed out of headshots due to this.
    Lad,
    Redfield is a sound choice. How old is it? I am not sure you should part with it in any case. IMHO Redfield is to Burris as Burris is to Leupold. They're all great scopes. The only problem I have with the Redfields is that they're getting to be about the same price as the Burris.

Some of the board members like CliveJ speak highly of Bushnell. I will have to suss one out in time. However, for right now, I am content with the Burris.

Also, €500 is not loose change, that's some nice dosh.

Finally, are you looking for one scope to do both jobs? Have you two rifles? If you are looking for one scope for both, maybe a 4.5-12x40mm.

Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

redfield would be a good scope there leupold glass in them made in the same factory and all

im fairly sure of this

The thing to remember about Bushnell is that they make some good scopes and some absolute rubbish.
    I bought a bushnell buckhorn 3-9x40 out in the states. I would maybe let it sit on a springer air rifle- it's not worthy of sitting on a rimfire, nevermind a deerstalking gun. :mad:

Glensman wrote: »
    The thing to remember about Bushnell is that they make some good scopes and some absolute rubbish.
    I bought a bushnell buckhorn 3-9x40 out in the states. I would maybe let it sit on a springer air rifle- it's not worthy of sitting on a rimfire, nevermind a deerstalking gun. :mad:

Would there not be more recoil on a springer than a rimfire?????

clivej wrote: »
    Would there not be more recoil on a springer than a rimfire?????

There would Clive, but I don't know anyone that uses a springer for serious hunting, so my crap bushnell may be good enough for a springer, maybe!

I havent tried the better Bushnells in the range, but I am sure they are a very good scope...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

got my schmidt&bender 8x56 for £490

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

any of you guys shoot 50m benchrest?what would be a good scope for this?id have about 500e aswell?what sorta price would you pay for a 8-32x50 swift scope new

bazza888 wrote: »
    any of you guys shoot 50m benchrest?what would be a good scope for this?id have about 500e aswell?what sorta price would you pay for a 8-32x50 swift scope new

Looked through a Nikko Diamond 10-50x60 on a 22lr benchrest nice glass

i was looking at them but on my cz it would be really high to get my eye behind without an adjustable cheekpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

find a secondhand pecar , top german glass and built like a tank, steel tubes and proper fluoride lenses. you'll pick one up for the same money as a junky chinese one , but have it for years.

• Advertisement

anyother options?im getting a rifle and scope as i traded in another gun so ican only go to the shop where im getting the rifle,im going add some money to upgrade the scope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Took out the rifle yesterday for a few shots after FISMA/ONE SHOT ONE KILLS praise yesterday for redfield, and after punching a few holes and zooming a bit I appreciate the sope a bit more now, It cost <150pounds 14 years ago.
    I probably wasnt taking enough time to adjust the clarity of view prior to shot even though I usually have plenty of time to do so, I will probably put it on a rimfire and still trade upwards for the .243 .

Tanx for replies cc30........

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Does anyone know of any dealers who stock Simmons scopes? Or a website which will post to rep Ireland?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

What about a Leupold 4-12x50 VX-11

€482 not delivered

Out of all the scopes suggested id have the Leupold

Thats once they will deliver to here (unsure about their new site)

http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=L4120vx11p

Ive used a few
    Leupold's in the past and cant fault them, imo its not about magnafication its about clarity and personnaly id take a clear scope over a high power one any day but saying that ive a cheap 12x on my .22 but that rarely is shot past ~100yards

Advertisement