Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water tank Liner / Coating query

• 05-02-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Had reason to clean out the water tank in the attic today . Its a metal one and was full of crap when i drained it really pungent sediment from years of unfiltered water entering and leaving . Anyway on to my question after cleaning the tank it appears to be in excellent condition with no damage caused by the rust as it all cleaned away easily.Does anybody know if you can get a liner for metal tanks or is there a coating that could be applied that would avoid a build of of rust again. I know I could replace the tank with a plastic one but it really seem to be good and strong !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Never came across a coating/liner before. It probably wouldn't make economical sense as it would cost the same as a plastic tank.

Might get more opinions from the plumbing forum, ask a mod to move it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Never heard of a coating before. Anytime anyone mentions a water tank then its just a case of replacing them with plastic ones.

Lining or not, they only have a certain lifespan. Something circa 20 - 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Not too sure replacing it is an easy option as the current tank is bigger than the attic opening and i would imagine it was lifted into place before the roof was fitted . Where is the best place to get a tank that may fit through a small attic opening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Darsad wrote: »
    Not too sure replacing it is an easy option as the current tank is bigger than the attic opening and i would imagine it was lifted into place before the roof was fitted . Where is the best place to get a tank that may fit through a small attic opening

You can leave the old one up their, cut it into pieces and remove that way. You can get coffin plastic tanks made specially for this purpose. Need 19" inches iirc on the trap door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Darsad wrote: »

Yes - A huge metal tank was in my attic and must have been replaced with a smaller plastic one, still in situ. The metal one takes up a load of space and can't be removed. I've just filled it with boxes. Annoying though, I can't double insulate underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

replace it. if it leaks into the attic :eek:,the tank will keep filling/leaking water as the ballcock cant close the valve!.

Advertisement