Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

madbull ultimate hopup with led tracer - in dboys pdw.

• 05-02-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I've recently gotten this unusual combination and I thought it would be worth a review.

The gun - mine is the engraved markings version and it has the longer external barrel. To look at the gun is gorgeous, like an m4 crossed with an mp5. With the stock extended it is still nice and compact, overall build is really solid with no movement in the barrel. The stock is steel and swings shut and open easily as the hinge mechanism is excellent. A good firm press button activates it and there is a catch on the receiver for the fold which catches it firmly first time.

Small design quirks in the Pdw design effect it for airsoft, for example the right side ris rail is quite short and not suitable for the peq box, which would have been my preference as with the box on the end of the rail , the back of the buttpad makes contact with the box if you try to fold it up. I'd prefer the box on this side as I'm righthandeded it would be easier to switch on and off torches and the like of they are mounted on the left. It's a small thing, but even when packing up after a game, its more ergonomic to have the box on the right side.

Likewise, I have a swissarms laser torch combo, with the foregrip pulled to the back of the bottom rail and the torch at the other end, I can't fit my hand properly behind the grip to hold it as the torch is in the way.

Also with the stock closed its awkward to find the magrelease button on that side as it is obscured by the buttplate.

Ok, so that's the little quirks but nothing that can't be overcome, and overcoming them of they bother you is well worth it.

If you want to stand out from all the m4 carriers at your site, this is it but with the advantages that m4 has, ris rails, easy to get mags, barrels, hopups, and so on, as well as the easy to use setup of any m4.

With the stock folded its possible to be very quick on Target like an mp5 or mp5 k but with rails and better mag capacities.

Breaking it down is the same as m4, pins out and pulled apart.

I'm not going into the details of the internals because mine are ...... different.

Mine has a madbull ultimate hopup, with the optional led tracer unit. What strikes you first of all is that the hopup adjuster wheel is sideways in the bolt chamber rather than the usual parallel design. This allows the tracer unit to fit correctly into the magwell area. It does prevent the dust cover on the Pdw from closing as the wheel is barely too long to allow the cover to pass by. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, except for one thing in the tracer section below. Adjusting the hop is really easy in this configuration and the wheel movement is really firm and "click". Even after heavy use the wheel stays firmly in place and doesn't need adjustment at all.

So thumbs up for the hopup, great product and for something designed to fit in a bigger m4, cool that it fits in Pdw.

The tracer unit. - I had been considering investing in a tm silencer attachment but that would have.meant making my old m4 longer which I didn't want. This design is a super alternative as the bbs are illuminated in the rear of the barrel and in the hopup itself ad they exit the magazine. They come out really bright and clear. But from a standard looking barrel.

I use a battleaxe magazine with a 20% mix of tracer to normal bbs, and I premix them. The Pdw has a really good rof and accordingly its an impressive effect as it fires.

There are two design quirks in the led setup that caused some problems when it was launched but I think I found a good solution to both by doing 1 thing.

Wiring - there are a lot of wires to feed through the neck of an m4 with this as the hopup and led are wired together and it can lead to crimped or snagged wires.

Battery drain - the led is designed to take its power from the main gun battery. When the gun is not firing, it is still eating your battery. And its a hungry device, as it is permanently illuminated, not flashing.

So what we did , with a lot of work from qas, was to separate the wiring so that they had separate power sources. There are now 2 battery connectors going to the peq box, one for each which means on an outdoor or daytime when the tracer is not needed, this battery can be disconnected or a cutoff switch installed onto this wire. It's easy to do, and it means less wires going through the neck. Which makes them easy to feed through. For he first field test it used an 8.4 for the led and a 9.6 for the gun, I noticed a bit of an improvement to rof and also it ran a whole night at the block without any problems running close to 3500 bbs through with absolutely no issues.

I'm going to be looking for a smaller battery for the led system, maybe a 3.6 linear arrangement to fit in the same box as the gun battery as I had to strap the 8.4 to the rails.

If anybody would like to see photos of anything specific, let me know and ill attach.

Slippy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 moloney95

hi there,i am from newbridge and im looking to buy a vfc pdw.But i cant seem to find any site that has one do u no any that would have a pdw thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

moloney95 wrote: »
    hi there,i am from newbridge and im looking to buy a vfc pdw.But i cant seem to find any site that has one do u no any that would have a pdw thanks.

Hi Moloney95, welcome to the airsoft forum!:)
    This is not an appropriate spot for a wanted post and it will probably be moved by a moderator.
    Best to post a [WANTED] ad in the adverts section perhaps.

The dboys verion is a clone of the VFC and will be much easier to get and half the price. That said - the VFC would be my own prefrence too. ;)

Some of the retailers will be happy to import one in for ya, or you could take the plunge and import one yourself, but run the risk of having it siezed by customs...

Contact Noel in ACS in Newbridge - he has a shop in the industrial estate at the back of the Fire Station. I know he has gotten in plenty of special orders for people in the past. Best call in and talk to him.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610850&page=18
    Best of luck!

Advertisement