Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine price increase ?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right thread but please feel free to move mods if posted in error. I'm not seeking medical advice just querying price so i guess consumer issues is the right place?

Ok, i was prescribed a certain medication on 6/1/11. Number prescribed 14 totalling €19.37
    Today i went to the very same pharmacy for the very same medication same strength just the number prescribed was higher. So on 5/2/11 number prescribed 26 totalling €72.41 !

I knew they were expensive so i didn't cop it until i went home and checked the last prescription and the price. Do you think this is an error or that the cost has increased this much i one month? If so what can i do about it? I'm looking at the old empty box and the new fyll box and the 2 prescriptions and they are exactly the same with the same codes on both boxes and purchased from the same brach of the pharmacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are the meds on the list of those items reduced in price back in February?

http://www.checkthelist.ie/

I can't imagine why yours have substantially increased, unless there was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fieryfox

Yes its on the list. Wow thats crazy, am i allowed post my search results here or is content not allowed ?
    Looks like its an error alright
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are the meds on the list of those items reduced in price back in February?

http://www.checkthelist.ie/

I can't imagine why yours have substantially increased, unless there was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

are they covered under the drug payment scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sounds like a mistake by the pharmacy.

Call another pharmacy in the morning and check the price jus in case you were under charged for the 1st lot!

I called a few pharamacies last month for my prescription and the hight was €16.50 and the lowest was €9.03.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shop around, different pharmacies charge different prices, also ask your doctor is there a cheaper generic medicine that you could take (same result except you don't pay for the name). I always ask my doc for a range of suitable medicines (and I work in the pharma industry).

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Doctors will always perscribe the patent drug unless you ask them for the generic one.
    Patent drug companies often have doctors on little "bonuses" to perscribe drugs,golf outings and the like.......
    Generic drugs are way cheaper and the way forward for people and the health system in general

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fieryfox

No no the drug is fine (it's a one off , well 2 off) so a cheaper alternative isn't the issue. I'm just asking can something increase so much in a month or could there have been a mistake in price either last month or this month

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ring them and ask.

Advertisement