Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixed dynamic/static IP camera setup - Win 7

Options
  • 05-02-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up a wireless IP camera for home security - my current (Magnet broadband) set-up works like this:

network.gif

The camera needs an internet-viewable IP address and port forwarding enabled (assuming ports are closed). I'd initially thought that I'd just make use of the Telsey's wifi, which I don't use on the LAN at all, but it won't connect to the internet. I can set up a wifi connection okay (I think - set the WEP key using the Magnet instructions, and wifi network is join-able on mac and windows), but it refuses to connect to the internet. I'm using Windows 7 Home - so the Win 7 professional tinkering options aren't available to me. I've also got Mac OS, but selecting the Telsey's wifi as a network provides a 'self assigned IP address, and will not be able to connect to the Internet" message.

I can set the camera up to work wirelessly within my 10.0.1.XXX network, but it's not accessible/viewable outside the wifi LAN - the only IP address visible to the outside world is the 87.198.63.170 one.

Anyone got pointers for getting the Telsey wifi to talk to the internet while continuing to make use of the ethernet connection, or how to route internet connections into a defined IP within my LAN?

cheers,
    alastair

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

alastair wrote: »

I can set the camera up to work wirelessly within my 10.0.1.XXX network, but it's not accessible/viewable outside the wifi LAN - the only IP address visible to the outside world is the 87.198.63.170 one.

You need to do static one to one NAT.
    Alternatively you could do port forwarding depending on what ports are required.

Advertisement