Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is an Antique firearm?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering what is seen in Ireland as an antique firearm? I have see the guidelines from Mr. Murphy but as stated here several times, they are only guidelines, no legal weight behind them.

I know of lots of pubs and antique shops with old rifles and pistols in them. From flintlocks to enfields.

So what is an antique firearm? And where in the laws of this land does it say the are they are exempt?

COLLECTORS/DEACTIVATED FIREARMS
    Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

chem wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am just wondering what is seen in Ireland as an antique firearm? I have see the guidelines from Mr. Murphy but as stated here several times, they are only guidelines, no legal weight behind them.

I know of lots of pubs and antique shops with old rifles and pistols in them. From flintlocks to enfields.

So what is an antique firearm? And where in the laws of this land does it say the are they are exempt?

COLLECTORS/DEACTIVATED FIREARMS
    Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities.

i asked this before and was told that its only muzzle loaders that can be held off licence , if the gun is loaded with metallic cased ammunition then it must have a licence, even if the ammunition is impossible to obtain and is obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Antiques
    If the person wishes to import antique firearms the importation licence is issued subject to the condition that the weapons are submitted to the Ballistics Unit of the Garda Síochána (Police) for examination. Antique weapons are those manufactured pre 1845 which have an ignition system that does not utilise cased ammunition.

Advertisement