Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog License/ Liability

• 05-02-2011 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Thought someone here may be a bit more up to be speed on this than myself.

A friend of mine has a dog and its nervous of strange people and if threatened/feels nervous will growl, bare teeth and has snapped once or twice before. She's just worried that if it happened if he bit someone will insurance still cover her if she doesn't have a dog license? I would have thought they would but not sure......anybody here know for sure?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

I'm affraid not, to be honest.
    I have the same sort of situation, one of my two dogs is a Pitbull, believe me, the sweetest, most gentle soul on this earth to people, but when it comes to other dogs, she can get really nasty.
    In the unfortunate event that she would attack another dog, or person for that matter, we would be in a world of hurt because we haven't got a dog license.
    The dog would in that case be put down and we would have to pay for damage, fysical and emotional.
    She's best off putting a muzzle on the dog when out, and keep the dog seperate when people visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭iheartthailand

Get your friend to buy a dog license. you can get them at the post office and theyre extremely cheap.

Maybe suggest to your friend about getting her dog a muzzle. Then she'll have more peace of mind when walking her dog and wont have to worry about him biting someone and having to put him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Also, most people wont approach a dog thats wearing a muzzle so you wouldnt have to worry about strangers trying to pet her.
    (feel free to correct me but afaik) Its illegal not to have a dog licence. Someone i know recently had an inspector call to her door to check for a dog license!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

A dog license can be bought in any post office and it costs € 12.70 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What insurance does she have, do you mean dog insurance?

I think that if ever it got to the stage of a claim against her insurance, they would probably investigate and if they find that she knew there was a problem and didn't try to rectify it, i.e. by using a muzzle, they probably wouldn't pay out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

weemammy wrote: »
    I'm affraid not, to be honest.
    I have the same sort of situation, one of my two dogs is a Pitbull, believe me, the sweetest, most gentle soul on this earth to people, but when it comes to other dogs, she can get really nasty.
    In the unfortunate event that she would attack another dog, or person for that matter, we would be in a world of hurt because we haven't got a dog license.
    The dog would in that case be put down and we would have to pay for damage, fysical and emotional.
    She's best off putting a muzzle on the dog when out, and keep the dog seperate when people visit.

Aren't pitbulls one of the breeds that's supposed to be muzzled (Amongst other things) when in public? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

:confused: Dog insurance that I have seen is like health insurance, not like car insurance i.e. it covers vet bills not liability. There may be some that cover the damage that happens for e.g. the damage your dog does when being run over (as you as the owner are liable)
    If you have a dog you should have a licence, I think it will not affect your dog insurance as all that covers is vets bills vets do not usually in my experience look for a licence.
    If you have farm insurance it covers damage done by your animals, including dogs.
    But over all I cannot ever imagine an insurance policy paying out because a dog bit someone if they have a licence or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

Hi guys thanks for your replies,

Not sure what insurance company she's with I'm with Petinsure and I'm pretty sure they do cover you if your dog attacked someone. I've told her to get a muzzle several times but presume she's just lazy or doesn't like them? Yea I'll tell her to get a license better safe then sorry as they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Meteoric wrote: »
    But over all I cannot ever imagine an insurance policy paying out because a dog bit someone if they have a licence or not.

Allianz pet insurance includes third party liability & legal costs up to 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

wopper10 wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for your replies,

Not sure what insurance company she's with I'm with Petinsure and I'm pretty sure they do cover you if your dog attacked someone. I've told her to get a muzzle several times but presume she's just lazy or doesn't like them? Yea I'll tell her to get a license better safe then sorry as they say!

Id really be pushing her to get a muzzle for the dog. If i knew my dog was aggressive with people in any way i wouldnt take any chance and would ensure it was muzzled.
    Does she realise she would be liable for costs, damages if her dog bites someone? Also her dog will more than likely pts sleep too so she really needs to be responsible and not put people at risk with her dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Meteoric wrote: »
    :confused: Dog insurance that I have seen is like health insurance, not like car insurance i.e. it covers vet bills not liability. There may be some that cover the damage that happens for e.g. the damage your dog does when being run over (as you as the owner are liable)
    If you have a dog you should have a licence, I think it will not affect your dog insurance as all that covers is vets bills vets do not usually in my experience look for a licence.
    If you have farm insurance it covers damage done by your animals, including dogs.

Completely wrong - all plans that I have encountered cover substantial legal costs. None generally cover day-to-day vet bills, but they will cover the more serious illnesses etc, as long as you fulfil the criteria (e.g. have a dog licence, annual vaccinations, either going to a pre-approved vet when you need to make a claim or else ensuring the vet you go to is happy to sign off on claim paperwork).

Advertisement