Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaded chicken?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm looking for a recipe for homemade breaded chicken. I have tried before but it never comes out right. I'd love it to be totally covered in breadcrumbs and to be really really nice. How do you get it like that?
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I toast the breadcrumbs first - just spread them on a baking sheelt and pop them in the oven at 180C for about 5 minutes until they dry out.
    I coat the chicken in flour, then beaten egg, and then the breadcrumbs. I bake them in the oven for around 25-30 minutes at 200C, but you could fry them. Sometimes I slit the chicken fillets and pop garlic butter inside before coating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try buying a packet of panko breadcrumbs - then always produce a crisp crust. If panko are not available, try drying out some homemade breadcrumbs in a low oven (120c).

Take a skinless breast of chicken and place it on a length of clingfilm of a worktop. Cover with another piece and flatten by bashing it with a rolling pin or a small pan. It needs to be as thick as a slice of bread. Season it. Dip it in flour, then beaten egg, then breadsrumbs. Then fry in medium hot oil. It should be cooked in about 5 or 6 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gillybean

Mix the bread crumbs with crushed rice krispies for a crunchier texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Place chicken fillet/cut in flour covering as much as possible, then place in egg then roll in breadcrumbs until covered. Throw into hot pan of oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Minder wrote: »
    Cover with another piece and flatten by bashing it with a rolling pin or a small pan. It needs to be as thick as a slice of bread.
    Another way, if you have a decent knife, is to lay it out flat on a cutting board, no press your palm firmly ontop and slice it down the centre so now you have 2 thin fillets. Or you can slice almost the full way in and butterfly it out.

If you want to up the breadcrumbs/chicken ratio then slice off goujons as you will have far more surface area to coat, also they will cook through easier without having to overdo them to cook to the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

I use cream crackers - just bash them up in a bag with a rolling pin so they resemble breadcrumbs. Then add a few herbs if you want then coat the chicken as usual in flour and egg and then the crackers. Jamie Oliver uses this method - think it is in his Ministry of Food book but i am sure you could get it on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

Breaded chicken is one of my favorites and I've used up many a chicken breast trying to get the perfect breaded chicken. Here's my method and it comes out really well each time (note this can also be applied to pork chops, if you fancy making snitzel ;))

First score your chicken breasts before covering in cling film and bashing them with a pan or rolling pin till they are the same thickness all the way round.

sprinkle some salt and pepper on a plate and roll your chicken breasts in the seasoning before coating in flour and then some beaten egg.

Get your breadcrumbs (slightly stale sliced pan works best for me but I have used crackers, brown bread, fresh bread slightly toasted and it all works fine - you could also add a little parsley, thyme, parmesan or lemon zest to the crumb) and put half of them on a plate. lay your eggy chicken breasts on the bread crumbs and pour the other half of your crumbs on top till the chicken is covered.

With clean hands, press down on the breadcrumbs and onto the chicken breast making sure it is well covered so the crumb gets packed on a bit. this step will get you some really well coated chicken.

Fry your chicken breasts in a roasting hot pan with lots of olive oil until golden brown. Too little olive oil and your bread will get burnt before the chicken is properly cooked.

hope this works for you. :D

Advertisement