Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballistic calculator for Android phones

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Found this calculator a good while back and it seems to be one of the better offerings for Android phones:

Strelok Ballistic Calculator

Lots of nice features, with new reticules being added all the time in updates.

Anyway I just thought I would post it for anyone on the look out for a ballistics calculator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Cool .... il be gettin that.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Found this calculator a good while back and it seems to be one of the better offerings for Android phones:

Anyway I just thought I would post it for anyone on the look out for a ballistics calculator.

Do you know does it work on a Nokia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

does that work with a range of cartridge sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Yeah I paid for the shooter ballistic calculator but find it much too in depth for my needs. It needs humidity, temp, air pressure, etc before it will calculate. Fair enough it gives you all the info you could want but its too fussy for me. The strelok one is bang on and its results match my Hawke ballistic calculator on the laptop so they cant both be wrong :)

and its free.. sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

it works on my n95 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

The developer has a version for Nokias running symbian.

Here you go: NOKIA

There is only one thing about the strelok think i was never sure of.... "on how many percent bullet speed will change at change temperature on 15 degrees"...??
    Any ideas what thats meant to mean. I just left it on the default setting of 2.5 but would love to know what its about.

There is only one thing about the strelok think i was never sure of.... "on how many percent bullet speed will change at change temperature on 15 degrees"...??
    Any ideas what thats meant to mean. I just left it on the default setting of 2.5 but would love to know what its about.

Air Temp dry air is thin, wet air is thick

However atmospheric pressure is proportional to this so it's not a critical input.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have just installed the iPhone app for this calulator. go to the app store and search for "iStrelok"

Once the rifles zero, MV, and BC are entered all you have to enter is the target distance and it gives you the MOA and amount of clicks to come up/down from your set zero or a reticle view.

I have to see if it gives the same values as my present drop chart that I use from www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

There is a slight difference in returned values. 1 click or 1" @500y

With a 308 155gr bullet, BC=.435, zero=150y, scope height =1.5", MOA click value=1/4", MV=2800.

Now to realy make sure what your actual drop is, is to shoot at a 500y target and messure the drop. Then if it is the same your good to go and the balistics calulator is giving you the correct reading.
    But if it's out you have to alter the BC value, just a little, until you get the same reading as your drop @500y. This should be checked at a couple of distances and the drops noted down.

You should not trust the readings from Balistic calulators and always check the output values with the real bullet drop out on the range using results from shooting paper.

Just using it a litle more. Theres a nice option of selecting the reticle as the view output and it will give you the target at the say 500y distance with a reticle overlay. I chose a mildot reticle and added 8MPH of wind. The result was the midots with the yardage drop markings and my the 8MPH target offset by 1 mildot. I'll try and get photo's of iPhones screen grabs later and put them up.

A good little balistics calulator utility and it's free.

Thanks TikkaT3 for the link

clivej wrote: »
    I have just installed the iPhone app for this calulator. go to the app store and search for "iStrelok"

Why do you 150 yard zero, and not 200 yard zero?

• Advertisement

Tack can you amend your post above to exclude the quote from me as I changed the text 'cos I didn't have the same default settings in both programs and the results are as near as to make no difference.

You take it I have my 308 zeroed at 150y just 'cos I put that data into both calulators. Not so. My zero is 185y 'cos thats where I left it at after coming from the range. 1 1/2" high @100m.

Why 185 why NOT? That will give me a PBR out to 230y. But now I have the iStrelok program I'll be dropping those deer out to 1000m real easy just dail in the drop. :eek::eek::eek::eek: and :eek:

Tack can you amend your post above to exclude the quote from me as I changed the text 'cos I didn't have the same default settings in both programs and the results are as near as to make no difference.

You take it I have my 308 zeroed at 150y just 'cos I put that data into both calulators. Not so. My zero is 185y 'cos thats where I left it at after coming from the range. 1 1/2" high @100m.

Why 185 why NOT? That will give me a PBR out to 230y. But now I have the iStrelok program I'll be dropping those deer out to 1000m real easy just dail in the drop. :eek::eek::eek::eek: and :eek:

Are you not over complicating things with 185 y zero

If you have 1/4" clicks does it not work better with even numbers?
    So if you forgot the calc you would still have a good idea

Not realy if you enter your zero into any cal. program it will still give you MOA or click values the same. In fact this is the only cal. program I have seen that will say come up 6.8 clicks which of course you can't do, so you come up 7 clicks.

It's the same as ranging a target at 175y and your cal. program says give it 5 clicks up the naxt target is 193y and now you come up 7 clicks. Your zero is only relative to a target at your zero distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I would say he is making things alot more simple!

If you have a look for an article in the chuckhawks website he explains the most effective zero distance for different calibres, I'd post a link except I'm not at a computer!

I wrote out a post there to try and explain but it was confusing so I deleted it! I'll try find the link! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

patsat wrote: »

If you have a look for an article in the chuckhawks website he explains the most effective zero distance for different calibres, I'd post a link except I'm not at a computer!

I wrote out a post there to try and explain but it was confusing so I deleted it! I'll try find the link! ;)

I just hate it when I'm right, correct, bang on, not wrong :rolleyes:

:P:P "I was wrong once but it was a mistake" :P:P

If you have a look for an article in the chuckhawks website he explains the most effective zero distance for different calibres, I'd post a link except I'm not at a computer!???

Einstein said, If you can't explain it simply, then you don't fully understand it!

The info Chuck has is (although detailed) old and out dated.

Hornady .308 SST Superperformance is touching 3000fps

I was asking clive a question, as he is using a Zero that is non traditional.
    Most use 200 yard zero (or zero high @ 100)

.308 Win. (150 BT at 2800) .435 +2.7" +1.7" 3"@135 275

Most Folk zero on a 100 yard range, but zero high.(or Zero 200y)
    Irrespective of calibre in centrefire, they always use a 200 yard zero.

No Ranges I know of in this countryhave a 185 yard Centrefire range, so therefore I was wondering why the 185 yard zero?

I can understand why CLIVE did, as he explained it to me.
    I asked him a simple question, and he gave me a simple answer.....

Hey all,

I've a Nokia X6, and It gives a application manager error when I try and install post downloading.

Anyone else have this and discovered a work around?

Einstein said, If you can't explain it simply, then you don't fully understand it!

The info Chuck has is (although detailed) old and out dated.

Hornady .308 SST Superperformance is touching 3000fps

I was asking clive a question, as he is using a Zero that is non traditional.
    Most use 200 yard zero (or zero high @ 100)

.308 Win. (150 BT at 2800) .435 +2.7" +1.7" 3"@135 275

Most Folk zero on a 100 yard range, but zero high.(or Zero 200y)
    Irrespective of calibre in centrefire, they always use a 200 yard zero.

No Ranges I know of in this countryhave a 185 yard Centrefire range, so therefore I was wondering why the 185 yard zero?

I can understand why CLIVE did, as he explained it to me.
    I asked him a simple question, and he gave me a simple answer.....

So the real reason is:
    I put it 1 1/2" high at 100m and from the balistics calculator that was working out @185y ish so I used 185y in my calculator to get the drop at the different ranges. Easy peasy......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I have had it for a while now and it works fine for me. It also works out angle to target. And you can choose to add weather info or not.
    I ranged a sod of turf on a wall at 770y and put the info into the calculator for my .308.
    MV. 2925
    BC. .415.
    Distance 770y
    Wind @ 6 o'clock @ 5 mph
    Angle 0 deg

My answer was 20.73 moa

I did that to the nearest click = 20.75 moa

I hit the target.
    dad45622.jpg

It works.

• Advertisement

Opening screen and screen after tapping the calculate button. It saves the last load settings.
    Load data used is
    308 155gr bullet, BC=.435, zero=150y, scope height =1.5", MOA click value=1/4", MV=2800. And the target is loaded in @500y.

Dscf1294.jpgDscf1295.jpg

From the home screen tap the buttons to open the different data input screens.

Dscf1299.jpgDscf1298.jpg
    Dscf1297.jpgDscf1300.jpg

After tapping the Calculate button or Reticle button either of these two output screens will show the results.
    I have shown the Reticle output screen bigger as it shows the mildot reticel and the different elevation and windage text that is tagged to the mildot.
    And the target at the 500y range as a yellow round circle. If you had input windage as well the yellow target circle will be offset in the reticle screen as well.
    So if we look at the reticle output screen it shows the windage to allow for ie if there's 8MPH wind @right angle offset by the using the first mildot. 17MPH use the second mildot.
    The first elevation mildot is for a target at 300y use the second mildot if the target is at 416y.

Dscf1295.jpgDscf1296.jpg

I still can't get it on my Nokia, I might need a software update to make it compatible.

My phone does not auto update so it has to be done manually.

I still can't get it on my Nokia, I might need a software update to make it compatible.

My phone does not auto update so it has to be done manually.

It must be a Remington Nokia phone.:p:p

It must be a Remington Nokia phone.:p:p

Yes,
    Nokia's have really gone down hill since they Left Sako group.

However, it still makes calls, unlike an Ipod 4 :p:p:p:p:p

Or does not drop calls like an ipod 3 ;)

I have it on manual update as I only update it via wiifi, as I save a fortune that way ;)

Yes,
    Nokia's have really gone down hill since they Left Sako group.

However, it still makes calls, unlike an Ipod 4 :p:p:p:p:p

Or does not drop calls like an ipod 3 ;)

I have it on manual update as I only update it via wiifi, as I save a fortune that way ;)

Well your correct on the fact that my iPod 4, 3, 2.......... drops calls

BUT my iPhone works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i have the same calculator on my ipod touch as clive has, its simple to use and seems to be fairly accurate once the info is entered correctly

I just got it to work.

Installation manager had to accept non Trusted sites for it to work.

Happy Days.

On my Nokia X6

Hey all,

I just got it and it's class, as it works on my mobile phone Nokia X6.

I hope she is accurate.
    53.3 clicks for a 600 yard Bunny!
    Assuming there is no wind:eek:

I just got it and it's class, as it works on my mobile phone Nokia X6.

I hope she is accurate.
    53.3 clicks for a 600 yard Bunny!
    Assuming there is no wind:eek:

wind meter at dealextream $15 and load the MPH into the BalCal and off you go.

• Advertisement

Heres a list of ballistic coefficients if its any use to ye.

Advertisement