Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques re: socket not working

• 05-02-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one, I have a double socket in a shed thats not working. When I plug in a radio or a charger etc in it doesnt work but when I put one of those volt detector pens on either cable it detecs a voltage. I am going to pull out a multimeter tomorrow which I presume I should get a 230v reading of the live & neg cables in the rear of the socket?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

sounds like the neutral cable is broke or disconnected from the back of the shed socket or the socket inside where the power is taken from.
    remove both and check terminals are tight
    remember to turn power off when checking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Could be a few reasons. The pen will just tell you their is voltage of some level their. Might be only 50v etc. You should be getting around 230v-235 between phase and neutral with the multimeter.

Might be an idea to isolate at the board before opening the socket, as you might get a flash over other wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads, will do.

Advertisement