Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mirrors

• 05-02-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

quick one
    are mirrors compulsory on a bike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

nope
    neither are indicators (but must work if fitted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Tigger wrote: »
    nope
    neither are indicators (but must work if fitted)

Neither compulsary ,but imo essential to have at least one mirror..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

If you want to stay alive a little longer I'd put them on your bike..Never mind if they are legal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not necessary, TBH never trust a mirror on a bike, you'll be a lot safer, lifesaver every time.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

bladespin wrote: »
    Not necessary, TBH never trust a mirror on a bike, you'll be a lot safer, lifesaver every time.
    Thats a helluva statement.Do you have mirrors on your bike?
    Do you use them? IMO,u cant have enough aids on a bike to keep you safe. You can know whats going on all around you at all times with mirrors.(ie you can see whats going on behind you without taking your eyes off whats going on ahead and your peripheral vision will let you see whats happening to the sides)If you rely on lifesavers only,you have to take your eyes off whats going on in front of you!It would be like having no mirrors in a car and having to look around every so often to see whats going on.We dont have eyes in the back of our heads so every additional aid is welcome,well.to me anyway.IMO they should be compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

You can know whats going on all around you at all times with mirrors..
    I wouldn't bet my life on that.....

Blind spots do exist.

Mirrors and life saver, ftw.

Jonybgud wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet my life on that.....

Blind spots do exist.

Mirrors and life saver, ftw.
    You know what I mean without getting too pedantic about it;) But would you bet your life on no mirrors at all and looking over your shoulders all the time? Dont think so! Sure, there are blind spots,but with mirrors you can subconsciously see whats going on behind and a little to the sides of you,and at the same time being aware of whats going on ahead,your lifesavers filling in any gaps.Alls im saying is that a combination of both gives a far better degree of both vision and safety than either one by themselves. I personally could'nt nor would'nt ride a motorcycle without mirrors as I would deem it hazardous to both myself and other road users.Thats all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I remember when I was getting training and I was told that you should always use your mirrors 'cos they tell you everything you need to know! But to throw a lifesaver, when needed, as your mirrors sometimes lie ;)

Thats a helluva statement.Do you have mirrors on your bike?
    Do you use them?

Why thank you, I didn't think it was all that profound ;)

Yes, I do and again yes, I do but they are not an obligation for road worthiness and I've encountered, time and again riders who rely solely on them for rear views, that's dangerous, a lifesaver should be performed before every manouver, if you don't you're taking your life in your hands.

I don't take it on myself to decide what should/shouldn't be compulsory for other riders and their bikes. TBH I think you should try a few track days and see how much you rely on them, you'll get a suprise; you get used to riding without them in no time.

I think you're losing sight here(no pun intended):DYou said"TBH never trust mirrors". Maybe you meant to say never trust mirrors alone???
    Also, with reference to track days,I dont think theres any comparison with riding around in circles on a track and out on the big bad road networks.:DWhat i mean by that is the track environment is reasonably controlled,out on the public roads,well,anything goes!!

• Advertisement

I think you're losing sight here(no pun intended):DYou said"TBH never trust mirrors". Maybe you meant to say never trust mirrors alone???
    Also, with reference to track days,I dont think theres any comparison with riding around in circles on a track and out on the big bad road networks.:DWhat i mean by that is the track environment is reasonably controlled,out on the public roads,well,anything goes!!

'Controlled'? You've obviously never been on an open track day, I'd be a lot more interested in what was going on behind me on the track than on the road TBH, you're out there with full on racers that will pass within inches, at least on the road the one that will be doing the passing is you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mirrors should be illegal on bikes for your first 2 years. People would then get into the habit of looking, and not relying on them.

Mirrors are handy, but nowhere near essential.

No.Ive never been to a track nor do I have the desire to-each to his own and all that.I said "reasonably controlled",to which I meant that you know the format.you know the direction you have to go,you know where you start,you know where you finish etc. Its a controlled environment. Theres probably going to be little to no chance of a little child or a dog running out in front of you,or rounding a bend and having to dodge a rock on the road.Thats what I meant by reasonably controlled.Also,everyones going in the one direction-you dont have traffic coming against you,or coming out of side streets etc

No.Ive never been to a track nor do I have the desire to-each to his own and all that.I said "reasonably controlled",to which I meant that you know the format.you know the direction you have to go,you know where you start,you know where you finish etc. Its a controlled environment. Theres probably going to be little to no chance of a little child or a dog running out in front of you,or rounding a bend and having to dodge a rock on the road.Thats what I meant by reasonably controlled.Also,everyones going in the one direction-you dont have traffic coming against you,or coming out of side streets etc

Don't see how mirrors will be of help if a child or a dog runs out in front of you :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Thanks no mirrors it is then or is it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

defike wrote: »
    Thanks no mirrors it is then or is it?.

Upto yourself

Don't see how mirrors will be of help if a child or a dog runs out in front of you :confused:
    Ill tell you how they will be of help shall I.If you didnt have them,you'd be so busy looking around that you'd probably flatten 'em;)

Ill tell you how they will be of help shall I.If you didnt have them,you'd be so busy looking around that you'd probably flatten 'em;)

Doesn't matter, if you're looking in a mirror, you're still not looking where you're going.:P

Doesn't matter, if you're looking in a mirror, you're still not looking where you're going.:P
    Ah come on now,only arguing for arguements sake methinks;) If you're glancing in your mirrors you can be still very aware of whats going on ahead of you(unles you're doing your makeup:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

No..youre looking where you've been............thats the science bit.......:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Advertisement