Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What wheels for vw golf

Options
  • 05-02-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi,
    just thought id put this out there. Im looking for some help in picking a new set of wheels for my 05 golf....

id like 17" so can anyone recomend any nice ones and wher to buy them as you all seem to know your stuff ;)
    Just wanna pretty her up
    thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

These always look well on Golfs

bbs_lm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

definitely BBS but ^^ needs more Dish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

oooh they are nice alri. thanks guys. More dish??? confusled

ok so there pretty... but pretty expensive too them bb's
    so whats your verdict on these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

BBS are a good, expensive enough brand.. better than the wolfrace brigade :L

not mad on black wheels if im honest :rolleyes:, maby on a white car, but mine is sky blue. but thanks, cause its givin me a better idea of what i shoud be looking for style wise.

How much shud i estimate to spend...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It wasn't the black you should have paid attention to, it's the massive depth difference (lip/dish as it's known) between the front and rear wheels.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45510&stc=1&d=1244584185

That is what you should really be aiming for ;)

It wasn't the black you should have paid attention to, it's the massive depth difference (lip/dish as it's known)

Sorry my bad :rolleyes: i should of said that i got the whole dish thing there. I saw it was deeper in that shblob's link, i just saw the black and as im a typical girl i just taught nah

There nice though, so is more spokes better than less? cause i was looking at 5 spoke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Nothing is better or worse, it's whatever you prefer or whatever suits the car.. although you could have a strange taste and it would look stupid on the car, in general, a lot of people put that style of alloy on the golf, anf there are cheaper replicas available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 xzid

2722964138_86156ddb1a.jpg
    45797370.jpg
    083922.1-lg.jpg
    3459932923_612a05718c_o.jpg

I honestly think the BBS' are the way to go with VWs, sticking merc alloys on VWs is just retarded.

shblob wrote: »
    Nothing is better or worse, it's whatever you prefer or whatever suits the car.. although you could have a strange taste and it would look stupid on the car, in general, a lot of people put that style of alloy on the golf, anf there are cheaper replicas available.

Thanks shblob, yep your right, some wheels can cheapen a car, thats why im here trying to get some ideas. Might check out replicas, its not that im a cheap skate... im just cheap ha :D no but i just wouldnt have 950 to spend on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Am going for a set of BBS CK's on mine - suit the Golf nicely imo, and happilly enough are one of the cheaper BBS rims available.

146904.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I honestly think the BBS' are the way to go with VWs, sticking merc alloys on VWs is just retarded.

Don't believe in thinking outside the box no? you always follow like a good sheep? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I have the 17" zandvoorts on mine, they were a factory fitted option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

xzid wrote: »
    45797370.jpg
    They look like they should be on an early 90's E Class. Are some VAG heads into these?

My vote goes with the BBS wheels, the ones kdevitt posted are really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

tossy wrote: »
    Don't believe in thinking outside the box no? you always follow like a good sheep? :rolleyes:

Just because you try something different doesn't make it nice or good.

The picture Graham quoted there shows how bad not following the sheep can be.

kdevitt wrote: »
    Am going for a set of BBS CK's on mine - suit the Golf nicely imo, and happilly enough are one of the cheaper BBS rims available.

146904.jpg
    oooh missrandomer likes!
    i checked them out on price and i might be able to get something like that. thanks. Hopefully i can get them in 17" dont fancy havin 18"

Nope, but as Draf says - different doesn't mean good. And in the case of merc alloys on VW's, it's just retarded looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

57OTIMISE (Gram Lights) RAYS :rolleyes:
    big.jpg

hehe....I keep on dreaming...

I NEVER said different meant good i was responding to a sweeping statement by another posters saying putting Merc alloys on VWs is retarded a very narrow minded and uninformed statement,but BBS wheels on VW cars is getting close to being the styling equivalent of bronze alloys on jap cars i.e its been done to death,a little thinking outside of the box never hurt anyone i've seen some Merc/Nissan/BMW wheels that look fab on VAG cars its all about doing it right. If you stuck to the same manufacturer when modifying your options can sometimes get limited i had porsche stoppers and a sweedish blower fitted to my VW (grantedi did also have BBS wheels lol) :D

Im not saying different is neccessairly good but more often than not thiniing outside the box yields results plus you can go to a show or drive around knowing the chances of seeing a smilar car are small.

Id rather have genuine AMG,Merc,BMW etc rims fitted to a car over soft reps of another VW/Audi wheel anyday.

Yoy could also pic up a set of nice 17" 5x112 merc rims for good money where as a set of new 17" LMs with good tyres would cost at least 2500 new and are rare second as when the come up for sale the don't hang around.

a little thinking outside of the box never hurt anyone i've seen some Merc/Nissan/BMW wheels that look fab on VAG cars its all about doing it right. .

Gud point. So do you think staying away from BBS would be a better, im just looking to pretty my golf up, it has standard vw 16" on it at the moment. Cant afford to change (a4 my dream) but at the same time i do want it to stand out a little but defo cant afford LM's way too pricey.

And if i can be cheeky :D can anyone recommend a site that i can buy (with laser if possible) that is trustworthy & reasonable on price. sorry guys, just never done this before and really apreciate everyones help x

Gud point. So do you think staying away from BBS would be a better, im just looking to pretty my golf up, it has standard vw 16" on it at the moment. Cant afford to change (a4 my dream) but at the same time i do want it to stand out a little but defo cant afford LM's way too pricey.

And if i can be cheeky :D can anyone recommend a site that i can buy (with laser if possible) that is trustworthy & reasonable on price. sorry guys, just never done this before and really apreciate everyones help x

If you want to do it on a budget you have 2 choices as far as i can see and its up to you at the end of the day as its your car.

Presuming 17" is as big as you wish to go,which i think is wise as when you fit 18" you really need to lower it to make it look good.

so your choices

1.Buy second genuine wheels i.e wheels that were desinged for your car from the factory like 17" GTI rims or 17 GT wheels or even 17" rims from an audi 99% of audi wheels will fit no bothers,or as above 17" merc rims.for this places like donedeal,adverts.ie etc are your best bet and there are some good bargins to be had.The downfalls are you are buying second ghand so its buyer beware makesure the are not cracked,bent or actually replicas being sold as genuine all pretty easy to spot,also you are buying second hand so most likely you will need to buy new tyres increasing the costs,but you might be lucky and get a set with good rubber on them.

2.Buy replica wheels from a credible place like alloy-wheels.ie good range and good deals on wheel/tyre packages,you can pay by laser and there is no risk like tyou would have in the second hand market.The downfalls the are replicas and while replica wheels have improved in recent years the are still never going to be as strong as a genuine wheel.Personally i'd never buy reps again but if i was gonig to i'd buy one with more than 5 spokes i'd buy some thing like an LM rep as it might be a little heavier but you are going to have a stronger wheel a five spoke wheel leaves alot or rim exposed and unsported if you hit a kerb or pothole on that piece of rim on a rep changes are it will bend.

So i hope thats a good balanced argument for each side of the coin,at the end of the day its your car and your money,best of luck with your hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Peavy

o_zCcjy8xP0SKpl9v.jpg

Put these on and your off ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

One other piece of advice, whatever money you put aside for the rims make sure you also have around €600 put aside for a good set of tyres. Remember, it's not the rims that keep you on the road ;)

Quattroste wrote: »
    One other piece of advice, whatever money you put aside for the rims make sure you also have around €600 put aside for a good set of tyres. Remember, it's not the rims that keep you on the road ;)

thanks for that, i have goodyears at the moment... how would you rate these... ive heard guys saying there not as good as they used to be

Also quick question... can you use or would you use winter tyres all year round?
    hope thats not too silly of a question

thanks for that, i have goodyears at the moment... how would you rate these... ive heard guys saying there not as good as they used to be

Also quick question... can you use or would you use winter tyres all year round?
    hope thats not too silly of a question

Goodyear what? generally goodyear would be a high end brand and make good tyres.

Winter tyres all year round is a big no no would be lethal in summer on a hot dry road.

A decent good year summer tyre like the F1 etc would be perfectly adequate for all year round but personally this year i am using winter tyres for the winter months and i can see myself doing it every year.

Goodyear what? generally goodyear would be a high end brand and make good tyres.

Winter tyres all year round is a big no no would be lethal in summer on a hot dry road.

A decent good year summer tyre like the F1 etc would be perfectly adequate for all year round but personally this year i am using winter tyres for the winter months and i can see myself doing it every year.

"hot dry roads" do you actualy live in ireland yeah.. OJ :D
    new it was going to be a silly question, but was dying to know.
    thanks for letting me know which ones to get though. sound advise here, ive learned tons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement