Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sound issues with rte radio one on rte radio app

• 05-02-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right place but is anyone else having issues with the sound quality on the radio one part of the RTE pocket player for the Iphone ?

I wondered if it was my earphones but then listened to 2fm,lyric,RnaG and sound is perfect even up to high levels. All other audio from my earphones is perfect, but was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

It's a buzzing sound that gets worse the louder you get and is only in the left earphone, but my earphones have been checked and sound quality for everything else is perfect. It also sounds like the presenters are far away from the mics. This happens without earphones aswell but only on RTE radio one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Emailed them about this a few weeks ago, haven't heard anything back but that's probably down to understaffing at rte. On an iPhone 4 - awful reverberation - sounds like they're all speaking through wavin pipes. Every other station is clear as a bell. Maybe it's down to the compression technology they use??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

minikin wrote: »
    Emailed them about this a few weeks ago, haven't heard anything back but that's probably down to understaffing at rte. On an iPhone 4 - awful reverberation - sounds like they're all speaking through wavin pipes. Every other station is clear as a bell. Maybe it's down to the compression technology they use??

Oh that's good to hear as I was wondering whether I'd gone stone raving mad and was hearing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I heard it on the RTE app, it was very poor audio with nothing but a constant buzzing sound from the left channel. I switched to the Wunderadio app and it was perfect on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Yes, I am also hearing this on the RTE Radio 1 app on the iPhone.

One channel is normal, the other has a mix of low volume and a buzzing sound, a bit like a mains hum (but not, obviously).

All other services sounding fine on my phone.

(I use apps to listen to Radio 1, 2fm, Phantom, Caroline, Jackie, and an general radio app called Fstream to get BBC Radio 4 and Radio Seagull).

Steve
    http://steveconway.wordpress.com

What I don't understand though is that on the radio one extra tab on the rte radio app the EXACT same audio feed is perfect and on the website and FM feed it's perfect. It baffles me but sure something must be wrong and hopefully if enough people complain they might sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 themaster129

To me if sound like a dodgy patch cable that's giving the 'bad earth' buzz

I tried listening again yesterday but it was very poor audio with a hum/buzz on both Wunderadio and the RTE Pocket app.

With such a large audience on the net you'd think RTE would get it sorted but they either a. haven't noticed or b. couldn't be arsed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 themaster129

Just a further thought on listening online. If you're in the UK you can listen online (computer, phone, ipod) to BBC Radio at 128 kbps for 'live' listening. Even 'listen again' for BBC Radio is still 128 Kbps. If you listen to BBC here, it (understandably) drops to 48 kbps. RTE Radio meanwhile is 32 kbps 'live' and 'listen again' can be as low as 22 or even 17 kbps! Such great programmes, pity about the online bit rates. I won't mention BBC Radio 3 'HD" at 320 kpbs!!!:confused:

Yes, RTE use very low bit rates for a National station, seems strange with such a huge diaspora abroad tuning in online/thru apps.

Just listening to the radio One stream on the app and the buzzing has definetely gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement