Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hk 416 D 22 rimfire?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Anyone have any experience with one of these? And do they fall under a restricted firearm category due to the assault rifle appearance? May be impractical, but it would alot of fun too shoot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Open to correction but I reckon it might be as it "looks like a military/assault rifle" and it will be a restricted licence if the magazine holds more than 10 rounds of .22lr ammo? I assume it is semi-auto and not full auto as full auto would be "prohibited" ?

Sure someone who knows more will be along soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Open to correction but I reckon it might be as it "looks like a military/assault rifle" and it will be a restricted licence if the magazine holds more than 10 rounds of .22lr ammo? I assume it is semi-auto and not full auto as full auto would be "prohibited" ?

Sure someone who knows more will be along soon ;)

The big killer for these .22s is there magazine capacity but if you get it off a good RFD they should be able to restrict the mags for you to 10 or less rounds.

Yes because of there looks (which if you ask me is a load of Bull) they would be classed as restricted. My advice would be to chat to your FO and see what they have to say about it. Tell him/her that its just a .22 for example like a ruger 10/22 and that your willing to have magazines restricted.

I agree with what you say gunhappy BUT I'd be reluctant to apply for anything except a restricted licence for one even if local Gardai agreed. You'll be the one left holding a technically restricted, and I agree with you 100% that the "I don't like to look of that 'cause it's black and looks like something else" clause is a load of bollox, firearm with an unrestricted licence if another Garda takes it into their head to apply the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

They are semi-auto only, and they do have the option of a 10 round magazine available. I kind of expected it to fall under the restricted firearm to be honest, because of the whole AR resemblance. If thats the case and it is classed as restricted, would you still be limited to the 10rd magazine? Or seeing as your applying for a restricted firearm anyway can you go for a higher magazine capacity? In terms of price range your talking the guts of 800+ euro. A bit steep for what is really a souped up ruger 10/22 with loads of shiney bits. I personally love shiney bits but thats my opinion! Cheers for the reply lads

I reckon if you get it under a restricted licence the number of rounds in the magazine becomes irrelevant

• Advertisement

duffyer wrote: »
    They are semi-auto only, and they do have the option of a 10 round magazine available. I kind of expected it to fall under the restricted firearm to be honest, because of the whole AR resemblance. If thats the case and it is classed as restricted, would you still be limited to the 10rd magazine? Or seeing as your applying for a restricted firearm anyway can you go for a higher magazine capacity? In terms of price range your talking the guts of 800+ euro. A bit steep for what is really a souped up ruger 10/22 with loads of shiney bits. I personally love shiney bits but thats my opinion! Cheers for the reply lads
    I reckon if you get it under a restricted licence the number of rounds in the magazine becomes irrelevant

Bunny got there before me :P

Yes mag capacity becomes irrelevant once its a restricted firearm unless your CS puts limitations on your licence.

Again though .... If your serious about they type of rifle id have a chat with your FO to see what he/she says. This "assault" look is far to undefined. For example.... how many accessories (provided its not a hi cap mag or bullpup stock) can you put on a 10/22 before it becomes restricted... or is it not the number of accessories but what type of accessories.........

Also the logical and practical way to look at the "Assault" type firearm would be to review both internal and external differences and not "i dont like the look of that" attitude. From a technical point of view while they look somewhat simular there construction and function is worlds apart.

€800+ ............... ya can get a .223 for that money !

Unless youve heard that there more reliable than the walther rifles that sell for the €500 mark I would suggest them.

Also ... think about importing 1 yourself the paperwork isnt that hard and youll save a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Guys,
    REVIEW the restricted part of the act will yez??;) You will find the bits added applies to shotguns not rifles.Apart form the length and mag capacity.If the length is under a certain length it is restricted,ditto nag capacity.

Then REVIEW the Garda guidelines,and you will find out exactly where this black assult rifle,folding stock ,blah ,blah comes from...

Remember they are GUIDELINES not the LAW!!! [Despite what many Supers and CS seem to think!].So they can work both ways.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Guys,
    REVIEW the restricted part of the act will yez??;) You will find the bits added applies to shotguns not rifles.Apart form the length and mag capacity.If the length is under a certain length it is restricted,ditto nag capacity.

Then REVIEW the Garda guidelines,and you will find out exactly where this black assult rifle,folding stock ,blah ,blah comes from...

Remember they are GUIDELINES not the LAW!!! [Despite what many Supers and CS seem to think!].So they can work both ways.:)

Grizz your speaking to the converted here. My point about attachments was to show not that attachments make a rifle restricted but since there is no clear definition under Irish law what "assault" is then how can it be applied as it will vary between people.

OP... Go for it :) if you want I know a dealer sellin the Colt M4 and M16 (made under licence by walther) .22s for the €500 mark ..... the importation documents are free to obtain from the DOJ and take 10 days !

Advertisement